View Thread

Print Thread
Tulsa and the building that discriminates
RayvenAlandria
We have a situation brewing in Tulsa. They are planning a dedication ceremony for the new tower. They are inviting leaders of various religions to say prayers, which is a clear violation of Church and State. Plus, they are only inviting representatives of certain religions, which is discriminatory. I plan to write a letter and point these issues out. If they are trying to be warm and fuzzy by including the various groups, why are they not inviting local Satanists, Wiccans, Atheists etc...? It a load of BS and there should be no religious overtones to the dedication ceremony.

If you fee a desire to shoot of a letter or two, here are the imporatant addresses involved. Kenny sent out an email to our local members, I will copy it here.

To all members,
On August 30th, the BOK Center will be opened with a 'Faith Based Event'. The City of Tulsa has included itself in the event and is using the management company they hired to run the arena as a mechanism to host this event and thereby purposely circumventing the U.S. and State Constitution in separation of church and state.
I encourage all of our members to use the included email address's and fax numbers to voice you're opposition to the city's involvement in this predominantly religious event. I also ask that if you do write, to make a copy and send it to the Tulsa World letters to the Editor.
If you do write a letter, please keep on the subject of the city's envolvement in a religious event and remember that you're letter can be seen as a thoughtful Atheist.
Logical thoughts-
Kenny

Mayor Kathy Taylor
Susan Neal, Dir. of Community Development
200 Civic Center
Tulsa, OK 74103
fax: 918-699-3427
[mail]sneal@cityoftulsa.org[/mail],
[mail]KTaylor@ci.tulsa.ok.us[/mail]

John Bolton, General Mgr.
BOK Center SMG-Tulsa
100 Civic Center
Tulsa, OK 74103
fax: 918-596-7155
[mail]jb@smgtulsa.com[/mail]

James W. Mishler, Ex. Dir.
Tulsa Metropolitan Ministry
221 S. Nogales Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74127
fax: 918-582-3159
[mail]jmishler@tumm.org[/mail],

Letters to the Tulsa World;
[mail]Letters@tulsaworld.com[/mail]

neilmarr
Have you tipped off Amerians United for Separation of Church and State on this one, Ray? It's something they would really get their teeth into. A very active and effective organisation. Good luck. Neil

catman
Good idea, Neil. What is the nature of the tower; what is its purpose? I don't think there should be religious overtones to it either unless it's a religiously themed tower. I don't know anything about it. If public monies have been spent on it, it shouldn't have anything to do with religion.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
I'm sure Kenny already told them but I'll check. We are starting our own branch of the AUSC in Tulsa. I have taken the position of secretary. We needed four to sign the charter to kick it off, so I volunteered for whichever position no one else wanted. Of course I got stuck with the position that does all the work...LOL. The secretary has to take the minutes and do the write ups for each meeting. That'll teach me.

I'll email Karl, the one who will be our president, and make sure he's told the national AUSC about this situation.

It's an arena.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Center[/url]

Kenny told us about this a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even know they were planning this religious dedication ceremony.

neilmarr
Darned good going, Ray. Well done and good luck. I'sure you'll get full support from US members here. Cheers. Neil

catman
Rayven: That's wonderful. Kudos! I don't see why AU wouldn't be very pleased to have an outpost in enemy territory.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
I went ahead and shot off my own letter to the AUSC and I messaged Blair Scott about the issue. He's going to bring it to their attention as well.

Now I have to do some house cleaning and then write up my protest letter. I'm sure we won't make a difference this close to the event, but I'm going to do it anyway. Even if it doesn't stop this event, or alter the way it's done, it at least lets them know we are fed up with the way things are around here.

catman
Good. I think your assessment of the situation is correct. The superstitious folk must have their incantations performed.

Jump to Forum: