View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Science
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Solstice-Eclipse Coincide 1st Time in 456 Years
Hypatia
Wow.

http://www.montre...story.html

OTTAWA This year's winter solstice an event that will occur next Tuesday will coincide with a full lunar eclipse in a union that hasn't been seen in 456 years.

The celestial eccentricity holds special significance for spiritualities that tap into the energy of the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and a time that is associated with the rebirth of the sun.

The eclipse will start just after midnight Eastern Time on Tuesday, with the main event starting at 1:30 a.m. ET and lasting until 5:30 a.m., when the moon reappears.

catman
If the sky is clear, I'll certainly go out and have a look. I've seen quite a few lunar eclipses before, but they are fascinating. The Moon's eclipsed colour varies considerably as well, from a bright orange-copper to almost invisible.
Edited by catman on 12/20/2010 00:42
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Of course you know this means that aliens are going to come down to earth and take the enlightened few with them to travel the universe. Or the rapture is finally going to happen. Or something. It's too late to put up a website or make a poorly-made youtube video about it.

I would like to see it but think I'm just going to sleep right through it. I don't think it's supposed to happen until around 2 AM so I will be snoozing while it happens.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Once again, we humans (as a species) have this deeply seated character flaw:

We think that Things That Happen Infrequently automatically get Magically Significant in the Grand Scheme Of Things.

Riiiiight....

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Bob of QF
.... Magically Significant.

Doesn't that phrase appear on a box of kid's cereal somewhere?

<eyeroll>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
We really aren't all that far removed from cringing in caves every winter solstice because we think the sun is going to die.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Photon
The eclipse was awesome. Watched from first umbra to last light to totality with my daughter, off and on, it was damn cold. It was a great teaching moment. She was even able to predict why the shadow that the moon entered was curved.

catman
I was out watching it through my 7x50 binoculars. It had a lovely colour, somewhat like Mrs as seen though a large telescope. What was most impressive to me was being able to see faint stars all around it. One wouldn't see those anywhere near the glare of a typical full moon!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: