View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Any other chess players here?
Doubting Thomas
I learned to play back when I was about 10 or so, but never knew anyone else who knew how to play. So of course my playing ability was pretty low. I've kind of renewed my interest in it about a year or so ago, ever since my sister-in-law started dating a guy who plays. So I've been studying up on tactics and playing games against the computer as well as with my nephew. I've also set up an account on chess.com and play a game there once in a while.

So are there any other woodpushers here?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
I used to play a lot but haven't in a few years.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
I used to play at it-- but I never did learn to see past my immediate move.

As result, I was never any good.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I was exactly like Bob of QF when I tried it. I haven't in the last 45 years.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I may have played a chess game before, but as with Bob and catman, I just never developed an interest in it.

I have however played a lot of Baldurs' Gate, C&C, Civilization, Lords of Magic, Lords of the Realm, Battlefield 2, Total War, Hitman, Eve Online, Mount & Blade, etc..(a damn long etc)..

Turn chess into a high def, explosion filled, noisy 3D experience and id possibly give it another go.

Bob of QF
Theory: LOL!

You just reminded me of one of the very first computer games I got ahold of-- was called "battle chess".

It was basically chess on a PC, but used two players (turn by turn), and whenever a piece was taken, a cutsy-little semi-animated graphic of one piece smashing the other was shown.

It was a really crappy player, though-- I could easily beat it's engine, without much thought.

But the graphics were cute. Too cute, for such a serious game, though.

This would've been in the early 80's, I think.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
I used to consider myself a pretty good player, but haven't played in so many years.

Battle Chess was a nice novelty for 3 or 4 games, then I lost interest.

Theory_Execution
The last line was a little tongue in cheek. I was aware in passing of a few games created to do just that, I really have no interest in chess. It is a game for those with wonderful memories, my mind is not so good at retention.

Doubting Thomas
My brother had Battle Chess for his Commodore 64. I recently downloaded it from an abandonware site and run it on my laptop in a DOS emulator. It works OK but tends to hang once in a while, not sure why.

I'm learning more tactics by reading a couple books and playing the computer. I bought Chessmaster Grandmaster edition, which has some chess courses on it. I'm even teaching my wife how to play, but I think she might learn quicker from the computer program.

Theory_Execution
Will you be making your own chess set with board at any point?

Doubting Thomas
I have a couple of chess sets right now, but when we go on a cruise to Progreso, Mexico, next week, I plan to buy a marble set like the one I got there a few years ago. The one I bought is kind of small, so I want to get a larger set this time. The workmanship on the sets is really exceptional and they're fairly cheap.

catman
I think a beautiful chess set is REALLY beautiful. If that makes any sense (or even if it doesn't).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I think the falsely accused of murdering their wife lifers make the best sets.

My dad carved himself a wooden set at school when he was a kid. The best you can do at schools now is vacuum form a bowl.

Doubting Thomas
I'd love to carve my own but I just don't have the time. I've got less free time now, and if I took the time to carve a set I wouldn't have time to learn how to play better.

This, however, is my dream set, but unless I win the lottery I'll be hard-pressed to shell out $350 for it:

http://www.chessc..._7c2348176

The detail on this set is just amazing.

catman
Those are gorgeous. No doubt about it!

Theory_Execution
The teeth on the horsey are well done.

Doubting Thomas
Now if I could only improve my play to look as good as that chess set, I'll be happy. I've been studying openings & other moves using Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition. Not only can you play the computer, but you can also learn how to play completely from scratch. I'm letting my wife learn how to play by using it at her own pace.

schmoo
Bug plays chess when he can get an opponent but I've no idea if he actually knows what he's doing. He was in chess club for two years but as far as I know spent most of it goofing off with the other kids who lack any attention span whatsoever.

Theory_Execution
Im an arse when it comes to group study - I couldn't do it at uni, I would just end up regurgitating some joke I had heard recently or regarding some incident in the news.

Hence, I done a lot of my study alone - which is a shame looking back, some nice girls would lock themselves up in the library.

Back to the chess, one of the current heavy weight boxing champions is a master chess player- and I believe a politician too.

Doubting Thomas
Made it back OK from Mexico. There were lots of places selling chess sets, but the one I bought I fell in love with the moment I saw it. It looks really nice on our dining room table.

[img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/n2uhc/ChessSet.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

It's made of marble & onyx and is pretty hefty. I modified it by putting felt on the bottom of the board and all the pieces. The design etched into the board is the Aztec calendar.

Jump to Forum: