View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
 Print Thread
A different way of confronting creationists
epochonaut
Maybe using science to refute nonsense isn't always the best strategy. Science requires intellectual integrity and serious research and study. Scientific knowledge is hard won. But you can pull nonsense out of your ass all day long.

You can refute one creationist argument just to have ten more thrown at you. Creationists reserve the right to invoke magic & miracles, but expect biologists to live up to impossible standards of proof in defense of evolution.

I say that instead of refuting nonsense with science, we should fight nonsense with nonsense. I think we should invent a rival intelligent design theory that invokes polytheistic beliefs, like the Greek or Norse pantheon. It would be obviously tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time show them why their own arguments don't make sense.

We could mirror the arguments used by creationists, but in a pagan guise that they would be forced to reject. For example we could argue that the universe is too complex to have been the product of just one creator. They would be forced to attack their own arguments for creationism. And it gives us the same ability as they have to invoke magic and miracles with a sprinkling of science on top to make it sound, well, sciency.

I'd like to explore this idea because I sense some potential in it. Maybe some clever memes could come out of it. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? What would be a good name for it? "Polytheistic Design"?

Skeeve
I like the concept!

And I believe it's the first time I've heard it expressed. It may just be a way of throwing their words back at them. Having them refute their own arguments would make my day.

catman
epochonaut: Welcome to the site. I like the idea as well!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
This needs work. Polytheist design sounds good but some names need to placed with it. Because I have some scandinavian blood I want Thor and Odin included. But we must also include some of the Greek/Roman gods and certainly cannot omit the gods of the fertile triangle. This could be interesting. Achilles because of his heel. Romulus and Remus because they suckled at the tits of a wolf would be excellent. Damn we have a shit load of gods out there to thank, how can we include them all.

catman
There is no way all of them could be included, but that isn't necessary. Many of them would be redundant anyway, serving the same 'functions'.
Edited by catman on 03/01/2011 01:42
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Three words:

Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
Welcome to the site epochonaut.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
epochonaut wrote:
Maybe using science to refute nonsense isn't always the best strategy. Science requires intellectual integrity and serious research and study. Scientific knowledge is hard won. But you can pull nonsense out of your ass all day long.

You can refute one creationist argument just to have ten more thrown at you. Creationists reserve the right to invoke magic & miracles, but expect biologists to live up to impossible standards of proof in defense of evolution.

I say that instead of refuting nonsense with science, we should fight nonsense with nonsense. I think we should invent a rival intelligent design theory that invokes polytheistic beliefs, like the Greek or Norse pantheon. It would be obviously tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time show them why their own arguments don't make sense.

We could mirror the arguments used by creationists, but in a pagan guise that they would be forced to reject. For example we could argue that the universe is too complex to have been the product of just one creator. They would be forced to attack their own arguments for creationism. And it gives us the same ability as they have to invoke magic and miracles with a sprinkling of science on top to make it sound, well, sciency.

I'd like to explore this idea because I sense some potential in it. Maybe some clever memes could come out of it. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? What would be a good name for it? "Polytheistic Design"?

Welcome epochonaut.

An interesting idea that.

I think, John, it would be unnecessary to include all the gods, as I believe any three or five, for example, would make the point quite nicely.

Doubting Thomas
I agree with Bob. This has already been done with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. In fact, that's where the idea of the FSM came from, when creationists were trying to get ID taught in Kansas schools. A group of atheists contacted one of the state school board members and proposed the FSM idea of creation.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: