View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Soldiers punished for skipping Christian concert
Doubting Thomas
http://news.yahoo...t_soldiers

A sergeant confined around 200 soldiers to their barracks because they didn't want to attend a concert by a Christian rock group. Many of them were Muslims who didn't want to go because of the Christian message. The concert was part of what is called the "Commanding General's Spiritual Fitness Concerts."

I'm betting that the sergeant didn't act on his own and any punishment he receives will amount to no more than a slap on the wrist. We all know there's a huge push by Christian military personnel to convert everyone to fundamentalist Christianity.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 03/09/2011 09:15
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
I blame Reagan and the Bushes for this boondockle.

When in doubt? Blame the closest asshole around.

In this case, pick a republican first.

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Incredible. On the other hand, I'd rather be confined to my barracks than listen to a Christian rock group.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
There have been a lot of incidents in the last 10-15 years regarding the imposition of christianty on military personnel. My own experience in the non volunteer army of 40 years ago had none of that. I wonder at who is serving now and if we as a nation should return to a non volunteer army.

I have often felt that if all may be required to serve in inappropriate wars they would be resisted more.

Hypatia
catman wrote:
Incredible. On the other hand, I'd rather be confined to my barracks than listen to a Christian rock group.

If those are the only choices, then absolutely, I'd much rather stay in the barracks. Not only do I not have to suffer through the propaganda, but it at least lets them know that there are those who aren't going to bend to their coercion regardless of the alternative.

This was wrong on several levels, but like DT, I think it will largely go unpunished.

Skeeve
Read the article I linked in the latest News article about atheists at Fort Bragg.

The can't use the "isolated incident" or "a lone soldier/officer" excuses. These types of stories have been popping up, like John said above, for years.

It's almost like there has been a concerted effort to place fundies in high ranking positions in the Armed Forces. But that would be tin foil hatty to think they would do something so unconstitutional. Frown
Edited by Skeeve on 03/09/2011 20:42

Doubting Thomas
catman wrote:

As Hank Hill said, "You're not making Christianity better, you're making rock music worse!"

Even when I was still religious, I'd have passed on the concert. I was religious but I still didn't like being preached to. I got enough religion one hour a week at church. I never was what you'd call a Christian Christian.

Hypatia wrote:
If those are the only choices, then absolutely, I'd much rather stay in the barracks. Not only do I not have to suffer through the propaganda, but it at least lets them know that there are those who aren't going to bend to their coercion regardless of the alternative.

Unfortunately, though, that lets them know who to pass over for promotion and give shit details to, not to mention mark down on evaluations. When I was in the Air Force around 20 years ago, I saw discrimination happen to those who weren't religious enough.

Skeeve
When I was in Basic Training, we had two options on Sunday mornings.

1. Go to church service

2. Clean the barracks

This is where I learned the very important ability to sleep standing up. The chapel was very small and the female platoon always arrived first so we stood during whatever denominational service it was.

Cynic
That was my experience in AF basic too, Skeeve. A friend of mine just went through Army basic last year and had the same experience, so nothing improved there.

JohnH
Too many years ago 1970 or so I did my basic training and later training as a cook, I am still good at it, at Fort Jackson near Columbia South Carolina. Never once was I pressured to profess a religion.

We have regressed as a culture in some regards.

Doubting Thomas
Same here, Skeeve, but since back then I was still religious, I went anyway. But if I were in now, I'd probably go and just hang around outside. There were always a bunch of people standing outside either waiting for a new service to start or waiting for their flight members after services.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:

Yeah.... I could choose my own flavor of music that way--

-- and considering everything? I'd likely pick a series of heavy metal bands, the harsher the better-- even though I normally detest that stuff.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: