View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Happy dead guy on a stick season!
Doubting Thomas
That's right, it's dead guy on a stick season again. Today is the first day of Lent, or as it's otherwise known as March Madness. Being a recovering Catholic, I will not be getting ashes smeared on my face so that it looks like someone put a cigar out on my forehead, though my wife is planning on going tonight. I will not be refraining from eating meat today or on Fridays, though my wife will insist that we have fish, which is meat by the way, but for some strange reason it's OK. I guess it has to do with the fish being the symbol for Jesus back in ancient, post-biblical times, but according to Catholics all seafood is OK, including shrimp, crab, and lobster, which are specifically prohibited in Leviticus. But I never could make sense of religious beliefs even when I was religious, and I certainly can't now. I guess it's perfectly OK as a Christian to pick and choose which parts of the bible to follow, so they shouldn't hate me for being an atheist since I choose to follow none of it except for a scant few passages like love thy neighbor as thyself.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
And they call us pagans
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
One of the nicer aspects of Dead Savior on a Stick day?

Is chocolate.... it's everywhere. From chocolate bunnies to chocolate eggses to even the occasional chocolate savior.

Onna' stick.

Mmmmmmmm....

... and the day afters?

Chocolate .... for 1/2 off...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I was under the impression that the Catholics ditched the 'no meat on Fridays' rule some time ago. I guess I gave them too much credit.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
DT, I must say you have a way with words. Dead Guy on a Stick Season. I prefer to think of it in more pagan terms. The end of winter and the beginning of the season of plenty. Including but not limited to chocolate.

What was the whole business about fish on friday. I remember from my youth frequently having fish on friday because it was cheap on that day, no I was not raised in a catholic house but my mother was frugal. Does anyone know what the basis of no "meat" on friday came from. I know my protestant father always claimed some financial motivation for the observation.
Edited by JohnH on 03/09/2011 16:22

Doubting Thomas
Catman, I believe you're thinking of the "no meat on Friday" rule which used to be year-round, but was changed some time ago (I think with the Vatican II council, but not sure) to be no meat allowed on Friday only during Lent.

JohnH, all I know being raised Catholic is that Catholics are not allowed to eat meat on Ash Wednesday or on Fridays during Lent. I have no idea when/where this idea first started or why, just that it's been a tradition for a long time. As I stated above, it used to be that they were never allowed to eat meat on a Friday, but in my lifetime that was only during Lent. Also, in my household, we observed the fasting rule every day during Lent, which basically means that you eat a small breakfast & lunch, then a decent dinner, but no snacks inbetween meals. Nowadays, though, I think most Catholics only do this on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The basic idea was that Jesus went into the desert for 40 days & nights and fasted the whole time, so we should do the same. But in reality, I think it's just something a bunch of old guys a long time ago came up with to control their followers.

The other tradition with Lent is giving something up, something you really enjoy. The purpose for all the sacrifice during Lent is to atone for all the evil sins you've committed, even though God supposedly already forgives sins. But the only thing I'll be giving up for Lent is my New Year's Resolutions.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
That's interesting, DT.

I think I'll be giving up gods for Lent.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: