View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
I'm really starting to hate Facebook
Doubting Thomas
I think I really need to unfriend some people. I knew a lot of my Facebook friends are religious, but sometimes I see a comment that just makes me want to puke. For example:

Slept in, cleaned the house, took a great walk again in this beautiful weather. Now relaxing. Our God is an Awesome God!

WTF does cleaning the house & relaxing have anything to do with there being an "awesome god?" I suppose she's giving God the credit for the nice weather, but why does he never get the blame when a tornado destroys an entire town, or an earthquake & tsunami destroy lives & property in various nations?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
I feel the same way about sports interviews.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
I never got into Facebook, and I'm glad.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I don't mind it as far as keeping up with what friends & family are doing, but I really hate the preaching that goes on mainly because I know that I can't express my non-belief in the same manner.

catman
It has too many security liabilities. Besides, I can find more than enough people to converse with in other, less trendy, more select places (like here).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I'm not worried about the security liabilities since I don't put much personal info on there to begin with. And I never talk about going on vacation until after I get back.

Theory_Execution
You know Catman, im starting to think like you on this. I try to keep my information as limited as is possible on FB, but as family join you increase your risk.

For instance they may work out your birthday from the messages people give, they could work out your mothers maiden name (often used as a security question on bank accounts).

The part that I am starting to think about is work related - I may have to travel to the United Arab Emirates at some point in the future - and if they searched me out on facebook, specifically one group I post lots on - my life could be in harms way.

I have been thinking on this, do I refuse on principle at work - or shut up, close down my account, and get the job done? Id rather not shut up.

catman
If your life could be in harm's way, I think you should close down your account! Facebook is just too open-ended. Surely (I know, "Don't call me Shirley"!), there are other ways you can make necessary communications without it.

Doubting Thomas
I have a nephew whose wife wisely closed her account & opened a new one under an assumed name because she was going to start a day care business and didn't want people taking some of the comments she posted out of context. Probably a smart move.

I for one refuse to activate any apps and blocked Farmville & other crap like that. I basically just use Facebook as an information center. I think a lot of those Facebook apps do like to get your information and others could possibly be infected with spyware. I just don't have any use for them.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 03/14/2011 17:12

Skeeve
If you use Facebook, blocking ALL apps is the only way to go.

Or clicking any links from friends apps.

Always hover you mouse over any links and make sure it goes to the link advertised.

I only use FB to chat with friends and family and to post stuff I've run across and "Liked".

Doubting Thomas
!@#$!!! Found another one that's just completely stupid:

Sept 11th (New York) Jan 11th (Haiti) and March 11th (Japan)........Luke 21:10-11 Then Jesus said to his disciples : "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes', famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. 'Jesus says for behold I come q......uickly,' So ask yourself r u ready?

I really, really want to post "I'm not worried because Jesus said that he'd return in his disciples' lifetimes. According to Luke 21:32, Jesus said that this generation shall not pass from the earth until all this be fulfilled. As far as I know, he either didn't return, or his second coming was kept secret."

But, I'll probably bite my tongue and keep quiet. I'm sure I'd stir up a hornet's nest among the Christians I know who just want to cherry pick what they believe from the bible.

Hypatia
There were some people I kept as friends, but took out of my feed because I was tired of reading those kinds of comments. So if they wanted to write on my wall, or vice versa, that was fine, but I had no desire to have their daily drivel included in my feed.

I didn't really do much at Facebook, and I was getting more and more uncomfortable with what I see as privacy issues. I've never posted very personal information there, but I changed my info. so my date of birth didn't show, and took out other personal info. like that. So I while I don't have a huge concern that there may be serious privacy issues for me there, the fact that FB now allows apps. to have your phone number and mailing address (if they're listed in your personal info. on your account) bothers me, and there similar practices and policies there that just aren't my thing. I didn't use apps. there, but still. I just figure that the people I really want to swap personal information and pictures and such with are most likely going to be the people I'm already in contact with.

So I left most of my information intact, but deactivated my account. Every once in a while if I want to look for someone, or if FB is the only or best way to communicate with someone, or if I need to get someone's birth date, etc., I reactivate my account, do what I need to do there, and deactivate the account again.

I liked FB for keeping up with my older niece and all the stuff she's active in, for example, since they get busy and I can know what's going on faster from FB than if I wait to hear from them, and there were some groups and such I liked okay, but none of that was worth bothering with it for me.

Doubting Thomas
Yeah I never put in my phone number or address either. And while I put in my DOB, I chose not to let people know the year.

I didn't know you could block comments from people while keeping them as friends, I may have to play around with the settings. But I think there's one or two friends who I may delete because seems like everything they post is religious in nature, and I just don't want to see it any more.

Doubting Thomas
Another thing I find annoying about Facebook is all the chain status updates, like this for example:

I have a personal reason for asking if everyone could please put this as their status for 1 hour. I know the ones that will!! Think of the ones you know or love who have or had cancer. My wish it that in 2011 a cure will be found. Will you post it for 1 hour. Do it for all. There are too many to mention who have fought and who are fighting. I hope to see this in all the status of all my friends

If you really want to see a cure for cancer, go donate to the American Cancer Society. This reminds me of the "change your profile pic to a cartoon character to stop child abuse!" nonsense that was going around a few months ago. It's slacktivism at its worst, because they actually think they're doing something, and then they look down their noses at people who don't do the same useless thing they're doing. It's kind of like prayer. They're helpless to change anything but think they still can by praying, and if you don't join in their futile exercise they think you're a horrible person.

Skeeve
Yeah, I ignore all those stupid "please post this" crap. My Facebook is actually enjoyable now that I've blocked every possible app.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Yeah I never put in my phone number or address either. And while I put in my DOB, I chose not to let people know the year.

I didn't know you could block comments from people while keeping them as friends, I may have to play around with the settings. But I think there's one or two friends who I may delete because seems like everything they post is religious in nature, and I just don't want to see it any more.

FB has made so many changes, and it seems like every time I turned around some feature or function was different, missing, or hidden. It used to be that, as you were reading your feed, if there was someone who's posts you didn't want to see there anymore you could simply click on an 'x' that would appear to the right of their posts when you ran your cursor over the top corner to the right of their name. When clicking on the 'x' a pop up would appear asking you to verify that you were removing that person from your feed. But it would not de-friend them.

Once I wanted to let someone re-appear in my feed again, but never could figure out how to do it..

I have no idea if it still works that way or not, or if it can still be done at this point.

If you don't already know, trying to contact anyone at FB to have a question answered is virtually impossible. There was a time when members could send a message to support staff and eventually receive a reply and possibly even assistance. They did away with that long ago.

The constant changes were another thing that were bugging me about FB.

Doubting Thomas
I think now it just defriends them. Anyone know how to block all apps? I can't find the setting.

Skeeve
I'll edit this post with the info in just a minute, DT.

eta: Upper right corner of Facebook pages. Account, then Privacy Settings. At the bottom of the page you'll see Apps and Websites, Block Lists and Controlling How You Share.

The first and last are the important ones. You should find everything you need there.
Edited by Skeeve on 03/20/2011 12:44

Jump to Forum: