View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Religious Right Taking Over Schools
seeker
In 2001 a Supreme Court case, The Good News Club v. Milford Central School, created a new way for Christians to indoctrinate children. This decision essentially told schools they could not say no to church groups that wanted to use their facilities for after-school gatherings. Evangelical groups have spent the last 10 years figuring out how to use this decision as a wedge to maximize church control over school curricula, personnel and even the physical campus.

The article The Religious Right's Plot To Take Control Of Our Public Schools, which I highly recommend, paints a very disturbing picture:

The spear point of this effort is the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF), which was founded in 1937. For decades, CEF has run Good News Clubs — after-school Bible classes taught by church-trained mothers and pastors’ wives in suburban homes around the country. But the Supreme Court decision made it legal to bring these classes right into the schools; and the volunteers who teach them typically also volunteer as classroom aides, which gives them a mantle of school authority. To a primary-aged child, it looks as though this indoctrination is simply a part of the school curriculum.

Stewart cites CEF figures that claim to have set up Good News Clubs “in 3,410 schools -- up 728 percent since the 2001 Supreme Court decision.” The clubs are sponsored by local churches, which are encouraged to “Adopt a Public School” by CEF and others. And they are aiming to take the program to every public elementary school in the country over the next decade or so.

According to the article this is an effort mainly aimed at indoctrinating children from 4 to 14. The idea is to push a radical theology called Dominionism which is:

... a campaign to gain Christian control over the "seven mountains" of American culture: family, business, media, education, religion, goverment, and the arts.

The article goes on to note that because of the Supreme Court decision not only are school administrators forced to allow then to use school facilities but they often abuse that access to facilities. When they do school administrators have no remedy, religious groups cannot be kicked out.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Yes, I've heard of Dominionism. It is horrifying. The arts? Would all rock be Christian rock? Beam me up, Scotty!

Cynic
I expect every radio station would be like the soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Art Thou. You'll notice the 8th Mountain of Science is missing from the list. So much of Education and Business....

seeker
To me this all reads as child abuse on a massive scale. Let's face it, a push like this is really the only way Christians can keep a foothold on a population that is slowly growing less religious.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: