View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A Christian Fighter Pilot Versus Atheism
seeker
I ran across this story just a bit ago.

For those who don't know what Rock Beyond Belief is, it's the secular answer to all the big evangelical and fundamentalist Christian concerts and festivals regularly held on bases throughout the military. One of these events, a Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Rock the Fort festival, held at Fort Bragg in September 2010, despite complaints that the military officially sponsoring such an event was an unconstitutional promotion of religion, and showed a government preference for Christianity. The response from the commander of Fort Bragg was that any other group could also hold a similar event. So, SGT Justin Griffith, an atheist soldier at Fort Bragg, decided to take Fort Bragg up on this offer, and began planning a secular festival, which would feature atheist and secularist speakers and musicians.

In true Christian spirit Air Force major named Jonathan C. Dowty, who runs a blog called christianfighterpilot.com, which he describes as his "ministry", decided that this was sacrilegious so he started blogging against the event. Major Dowty, a.k.a. JD the Christian Fighter Pilot, is a Christian officer who belongs to the Officers’ Christian Fellowship (OCF), an organization that thinks the real duty of a military officer is to raise up “a spiritually transformed military, with ambassadors for Christ in uniform, empowered by the Holy Spirit.” As a devout Christian officer, Major Dowty has made it a practice to publicly attack and defame atheist and other non-Christian enlisted service members by name, knowing that they can’t respond to defend themselves because he’s an active duty officer, so it would be insubordinate for them to respond to him.

Where is gets interesting is when Dowty begins misrepresenting the lyrics of some of the acts scheduled for this show. Fox News picks the story up and the extra scrutiny forced the military to issue the following statement:

“I recognize and understand that the Main Post Parade Field will be a limited public forum for the duration of the festival and appreciate that the language of the original draft may have concerned you, especially with regards to information that may be offensive to others’ religion. I want to assure you that Fort Bragg will not discriminate against speech on the basis of its viewpoint. Stated another way, I understand and respect that there will be ample discussion about atheism and/or humanism during the festival and that the speakers may criticize organized religion or its practitioners…“
-Colonel Stephen J. Sicinski
Fort Bragg Garrison Commander

I guess that means Christians hate us for our freedom.Pfft
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Yeah, I ran across something Friday that was linked to his blog, http://christianf....com/blog/ , and looked around.

I noticed he likes to twist things up and not be completely honest.

Lying for Jesus is popular.

Case in point.

http://christianf...more-16876
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
The sad part is that he is in the majority.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
seeker wrote:I guess that means Christians hate us for our freedom.Pfft

I think there is much truth to that, and have for some time. Part of the resentment that some Christians have toward us is for that reason, although their Bibles and preachers tell them that they will get even after they die. So they can have the pleasure of imagining us burning in Hell during their lives.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
LOL, Bush Jr was right he was just talking about the wrong group of religious fanatics.

Jump to Forum: