View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Catman's thread. (was "Is it true?")
seeker
Not excusing him, just saying that he lived the way people did in his time. Even though there were laws as far back as 1870 against beating one's wife those laws were rarely enforced until the 1970's and the feminist movement made it a cause.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
Ye, still not defending it. From a poor chauvinistic viewpoint, logically you can see you should not beat your wife, she needs her steady hands to iron your shirts and two good eyes to make sure the house is clean...

Law or no law, a thinking person would not hit their loved one, male or female - unless that was part of the agreed terms of the session and a suitable safe word was also agreed.

JohnH
I would be hard pressed to come up with a list of brilliant in one area people who were not also shits in some other area. Not said to condone the physical abuse of others simply stating fact.

If anyone cares JB behaved badly to his band from all reports.

Theory_Execution
Has anyone an update on the accident? Was it an accident or careless/inconsiderate driving?

Barbara L Baker
Hi, I posted this earlier, but I think it was in the wrong place--my error.

You don't know me, and I don't really want to join this group on a permanent basis, but this was the only way to get this message to you. I probably won't stick around for a long time, but I did go ahead and "like" your page on FB.

I was Joseph Lively's ex wife from a long time ago. Our marriage was not happy, and I've had no contact with him for over 30 years, and, indeed, remarried in 1984. But as years pass, we think of those from when we are young, in particular now that I have retired from my current teaching position, and plan to return to Texas. I wondered how Joe might be doing, and saw that he was still involved with music, cats, and short wave radio, and that he did inherit his grandparent's house.

But then I saw something else--I discovered he was horribly killed this past April in a motorcycle wreck. Boy did that throw me for a loop! It has bummed out my whole day. There is limited information about this event on the web, but I did find this group making comments on an accident blog.

It does not surprise me that he was a member (and administrator!) of this group, and that he found some kindred spirits here (nor actually, am I really surprised that he was killed riding a bike). Or that he was able to use his considerable intelligence in making comments. Or that he was still taking care of his mom (surprised she is still alive--for the person who asked, her name is Mary). Also sad to think that his brother also is gone.

After reading through the threads and various articles on line, I just wanted to say to people here how sorry I am that you all lost him, and that I am glad that he was able to find a place that welcomed him. Reading people's comments was a way to find out that he was well regarded, which I'm sure was a comfort to what remains of his family And it provides a type of closure to me, too, I think.

Peace be with you all, Sincerely, Barbara L. Baker, Professor Emerita, University of Central Missouri

(p.s. if all goes well, there should be a photo attached of Joe from February 1970, at our wedding--if it doesn't show it isn't for trying). Not sure i have any others on-line (plenty in old albums).
Barbara L Baker attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

seeker
Welcome Barbara and thank you for sharing that.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for taking the time to register and to talk to us about Cat, and for your condolences. I'm trying to imagine what he would have had to say about the photo and I think I have a pretty good idea what it might have been, lol!

Unlike you Barbara, I was kind of surprised this accident occurred with him on his bike. At least one of the articles about the wreck that I read mentioned an investigation would be conducted and I had hoped there would be a follow up news report about any such investigation but haven't seen any.

The reports said he had t-boned a truck and so I'm curious whether the driver of the truck didn't see Joe, or did but pulled in front of him anyway, or if something else happened. He'd mentioned a number of times in discussions about bikes on the forums his love of motorcycles and riding, and I think that like many older and well seasoned and experienced riders whose risk taking days were long ago he was also very aware of how little protection that affords one in the crazy traffic of a city.

Peace to you too, Barbara.

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:

Has anyone an update on the accident? Was it an accident or careless/inconsiderate driving?

A search I did a couple of days ago to see if there are any updates or follow up reports about any investigations that may have been done didn't turn up anything.

I believe the articles said the driver of the truck was traveling west and Cat was traveling east, and so if he t-boned the truck, why was the truck in his way? It sounds like the truck driver made a left hand turn in front of Cat, but why? Did he not see Catman? Did he maybe think he had enough time to complete his turn, or maybe know he didn't have enough time but thought that since the truck was big the oncoming traffic would have no choice but to slow down and yield and let him go? Or did something else happen?

Unfortunately there wasn't enough information from the articles alone to piece together what happened.

Hypatia
Catman's cat is named Willie, and Cat said in a post last year he was 17 yrs. old then. Wow.

Catman wrote:
My old cat Willy is almost 17 now. I also look after two neighborhood cats when they come by. I share custody of them with a neighbor.

http://www.atheis...ad_id=2025

Barbara L. Baker wrote:

It does not surprise me that he was a member (and administrator!) of this group, and that he found some kindred spirits here (nor actually, am I really surprised that he was killed riding a bike). Or that he was able to use his considerable intelligence in making comments. Or that he was still taking care of his mom (surprised she is still alive--for the person who asked, her name is Mary). Also sad to think that his brother also is gone.

I'm sorry, you probably didn't mean not surprised due to his riding ability or experience but rather because he'd loved being on a bike for so much of his life. Smile

Barbara L Baker
Thanks Seeker and Hypatia. I'm glad I could post some comments, and that you are so welcoming.

Hypatia, Joe was always a careful rider, even when I knew him. He'd been in a bad wreck before we got together, and it made him cautious. But still, people don't see bikes, and it was always risky. In the mid-1970s, despite all his caution, he was run into by a bread truck in Dallas (while on his way to a gig), and nearly died then (he was in the hospital for weeks). The truck ran a red light and plowed right into him broadside. Their fault--his parents sued the company and won a settlement. Although his folks and his band mates at the time all wanted him to quit riding his bike, he refused. I think it was that experience that makes me less surprised that something like this would happen. So yes, I think it was that he was always riding, not lack of skill or experience. Still, I hope it will be investigated.

And I suspect I could guess, even after all these years, what he might say about that photo as well!
Edited by Barbara L Baker on 06/27/2012 10:31

cheshiredragon
Wow, thank you for visiting Barbara and giving us some insight on Joe's past. He is dearly missed as are his comments here. I, like many other folks here, have known him for a long time. 7yrs myself and when I moved to Dallas 5yrs ago, we hung out from time to time, often casual conversations over lunch. I was surprised that he rode the bike too after some near hits he had mentioned before, but he NEVER mentioned the wrecks he had. He was a good man and always had me think rationally about certain subjects I was less educated with. Again, thank you Barbara for stopping by and giving us some background info Smile

I will say "BAND NERD!" about that photo, but I have no place to talk. I am a computer nerd Pfft

-Richard

I am possibly bias, but I think it was negligence on the trucker's part. I went to the area a few weeks ago and made a few circles to see from cat's view and the trucker's. There are no blind spots or no way they couldn't have seen each other. The truck was a flat-bed and the trucker was making a left turn into a lumber yard of sort. It may have been a blind spot on cat's position in ONLY that he was traveling West and during the time of day the Sun may have played a part in reducing his visibility, but I am not sure how much as I visited this spot 2mo later and it was more around noon time. That is the only information I have. I should have thought to park and ask questions at local businesses, but I am sure 2mo later the details would have been vague.
That's right, I said it...

Barbara L Baker
Richard, you are welcome. To be fair, he was dressed up that day for our wedding, in part to please his folks (and me). You should have seen him playing his bass guitar in the rock band he was in at the time (Dallas County--they even cut an album--they were kind of like Chicago). I have only a few photos from that time scanned, but I will leave you all with one more of him playing with that band, in Lee's Park, Dallas, in the spring of 1970. Less a band geek this time!
Barbara L Baker attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

Hypatia
Barbara L Baker wrote:

Richard, you are welcome. To be fair, he was dressed up that day for our wedding, in part to please his folks (and me). You should have seen him playing his bass guitar in the rock band he was in at the time (Dallas County--they even cut an album--they were kind of like Chicago). I have only a few photos from that time scanned, but I will leave you all with one more of him playing with that band, in Lee's Park, Dallas, in the spring of 1970. Less a band geek this time!

Ahhh, great photo! He looked in his element there, like he was very comfortable performing, even then.

Thanks for that Barbara.

Theory_Execution
Thank you Barbara for dropping by. A wonderful thing about the internet is you can find things like this thread, and open up a new look into the life of someone you knew.

I dont ride a motorcycle, nor will I ever, but I do ride a bicycle, cars, lorries and 16wheelers continually underestimate my speed or just completely ignore my presence on the road.

I have been knocked off twice (minor) and felt like I was going to die once. I ride with a headcam, handlebar cam and a rear camera.

Hypatia
Woulda been Cat's BD today.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hanghead.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Skeeve
Cry
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Barbara L Baker
Joe would have been 66 today--once more glad to see he is remembered. And I'm glad people enjoyed the photos I posted.

Robert
Hi Barbara,

I just wanted to let you know that Joe was a great friend to both myself and all of the other members of this board. I'm basically the resident Christian on this site and, despite very different world views, Joe and I got along extremely well. He was definitely very funny and also had some great insights into topics ranging from science (especially astronomy) to music and politics. I remember a few years ago when I was very sick he offered encouragement and advice in the hope that I would start feeling better soon. It takes a rare person who can make friends with people from various backgrounds and make them feel like they've known each other for years. I'm glad that I was able to come to this site and chat with "Catman" at length on various occasions. Joe will definitely be missed (and remembered)!

Bob of QF
Tis a sad thing to read, but uplifting in a way too. A kind of written legacy to someone's life, and how he affected/touched others'

Miss him I will.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
I know this is a big bump but I was caught today thinking about Tammy Wynette and other country singers and thought about the "Catman" although I suspect he was more into rock.

http://www.youtub...re=related

Jump to Forum: