View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Makes me crack up(snake-handling)
cheshiredragon
Preacher dies from snakebite. His father also died of a snakebite.
http://usnews.msn...ginia?lite

What really cracks me up about this article is that this moron didn't even learn a lesson from his father's death. Religion truly breeds ignorance.

JohnH
I could not find reliable numbers but to the best of my knowledge if one is quiet and attempts are made to immediately withdrawn as much venom as possible without making incisions in the bite area most people survive rattlesnake bites. Getting to an emergency room and receiving antivenom as quick as possible is of course preferable.

I will say most of my information is associated with the western diamondback which is less venomous than the eastern diamondback (one of the few places where the east may best us in the west). Still according to wikipedia the death rate from eastern diamond back bites is some 30%. Note that there is no differentiation between treated and not.

http://en.wikiped...teus#Venom

I would if I believed in a god suggest this is a message to his believers. I am a colossal asshole and if you believe in me you will die before you should.

edit. I did not read the original article well enough it was a yellow timber rattlesnake which according to wiki could have the most dangerous venom in the US.

http://en.wikiped...idus#Venom

Still a quick trip to the hospital and one should be ok. However it sort of negates your religious beliefs to do so.

Interesting after reading the article more carefully apparently he had survived bites before. What sin had he committed in the intervening period other than being dumb as a stump.
Edited by JohnH on 05/31/2012 15:41

Skeeve
A true dumbass.

Bitten at 2pm, goes to hospital at 10:30pm.

Had he gone directly to the hospital, he would have survived. Most hospitals have anti-venom for native snakes, and a good many have the more exotic serums as well.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

cheshiredragon
That's what went through my mind, Skeeve. "Why did this idiot wait 8hrs?"

And, John, even though a shot will most likely save someone they still will be in the hospital for a few days. The anti-venom will only lessen the blow of the venom itself. whatever has taken hold as far as nerve damage and other nervous system damage is already done.

Of course, I think when God said "take up serpents" he didn't literally mean pick up and dance around with deadly snakes. Misinterpretation is the most dangerous thing in the bible, IMHO.
That's right, I said it...

Photon
Of course, I think when God said "take up serpents" he didn't literally mean pick up and dance around with deadly snakes. Misinterpretation is the most dangerous thing in the bible, IMHO.

I don't know, it seems pretty clear that the passage is intended as an external evidence that you are seeing a "true believer" if they can hold deadly snakes in their hands. Dancing around is optional, maybe.

There are a couple of evidence claims about True Christians that the Bible makes, that grants them Cleric special resistances and powers: casting out devils (aka the D&D spell Exorcism), speaking in tongues (D&D spell Tongues), and with all that scorpion, snake, and poison drinking immunity, they must have at least +4 to their (Fortitude) Saving Throw vs. Poison, or maybe they can cast some kind of Resist Poison spell.

Mark 16:17-18
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Luke 10:19
"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

But of course, Christians also have the ability to cast Stone Shape and/or Wish:

Matthew 17:20
"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

The world would be a much different place if the Bible were actually true about some things.

However, D&D nerds get laid about as often as the devout churchgoing nerds, so there's that.

Jump to Forum: