View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Happy Thanksgiving!
Cynic
While the Pilgrims were largely illustrative of what we don't want our society to be, and the Native Americans weren't, popular to contrary notions, perfect just because their story is sympathetic, the holiday they created together is one I think we can all agree is as perfect as a holiday can get. At least given its intentions. I mean, nevermind who modern Christians think we should be thanking -- being grateful isn't something religion has a lock on.

So, thanks for being there guys. Have a great day.

seeker
I'll try not to be snarky.

I like the sentiment of Thanksgiving but it requires so much suspension of disbelief.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
This is more of a family holiday than anything else. And since all my family live in other states, I'm having kielbasa instead of turkey. Smile
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Cynic wrote:

While the Pilgrims were largely illustrative of what we don't want our society to be, and the Native Americans weren't, popular to contrary notions, perfect just because their story is sympathetic, the holiday they created together is one I think we can all agree is as perfect as a holiday can get. At least given its intentions. I mean, nevermind who modern Christians think we should be thanking -- being grateful isn't something religion has a lock on.

So, thanks for being there guys. Have a great day.

Thanks Cynic. I hope yours was good.

For much of my adult life at least I've made it a practice to be consciously aware of the things I'm grateful for. I think that's just another human attribute that many mistakenly attribute to religious values. But I usually look forward to and enjoy Thanksgiving, to the setting aside of this one day where people make an effort to be more individually and collectively grateful, and to do things to share with others.

Oh what the hell. I'm definitely grateful for everyone here.

Happy Thanksgiving, a day late.

JohnH
I just got back from Thanksgiving with my wife's family (my brother and his family are in the midwest so I see them infrequently and my sister and mother are dead). Two sons, two daughters in law, three sisters in law and two brothers in law, the parents of one niece's husband and the niece and husband, two nephews, my wife, four assorted grandchildren (two mine), and a couple who are friends of one sister in law, were in attendance (I may have missed someone). I got to make parker house rolls as has become tradition for both Thanksgiving and christmas, the latter strictly a celebration of the winter solstice with the bulk of this group.

Good food and mostly people who I enjoy and can have fun with if, as with all families, one does not necessarily want to be around them all the time.

The family I do want to be around all the time will gather for a very pagan New Years 3 miles down a dirt road.

With the exception of my youth and going to Aunt Margaret's house I have generally enjoyed this holiday as a way to renew old blood family ties and catch up on the others, and have a meal that may be excessive but is very tasty.

Jump to Forum: