View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Does it smell like 1973
JohnH
I am watching a replay of a Charlie Rose interview with Carl Levin (chairman of the Senate Armed Forces committee) on the local PBS channel and suddenly thought of something.

It smells, looks, feels like 1973 again. Except now it is the Afghan government then it was the government of South Vietnam. Hell, as far as that goes it also applies to Iraq. Everything is ok, the government is stable, the people are happy we (the US) can leave and it will all be ok.

For the vietnamese it was ok, the popular front forced out the rest of the colonialist sycophants and they have for the most part been doing well since. I accept that some were harmed and will not ignore that. Some were harmed in Cuba and we in the US have payed mightily for that ever since. I wish the Batista adherents in Florida would be forced to swim back.

It will not be ok in either Afghanistan or Iraq. There will be years of internal upheaval and strife. There will be years before reasonable internal controls and institutions will be established. In Iraq at least US capitalists will be allowed to make a profit. I suspect they might also in Afghanistan but it will cost much in the way of private armies to protect that profit.

My point remains that as we back away from both Afghanistan and Iraq with our tail between our legs the public message will be that we accomplished what we came for. This message will only partially be true. The other question of course is was it worth the damaged or dead lives that it required.

The propagandists will tell us we as a country succeeded, how many of you believe that to be correct.

Cynic
It's not just propaganda. It's right up there with feel-good lies like "everybody did their best" and "fun was had by all". It's just shit people say because the more accurate and honest statement isn't worth the grief and eventual firing it garners.

seeker
I think the difference now is that a smaller portion of the populace care about what is going on now than did then. Maybe its news media and their tendency to under-report details of the war or maybe its just that the US is just more self absorbed than it used to be but I think the vast majority of people in this country only care about what they see as directly affecting them.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Cynic
There is that. Vietnam was sold, as I understand it, under the domino theory, in which if South Vietnam fell, so could the rest of the world. Afghanistan was never sold like that, so the consequences of failure fall solidly outside out monkeysphere.

seeker
By 1973 nobody was really buying the domino theory.

An interesting side note in this article. Apparently LBJ had evidence that Nixon prevented peace talks about which LBJ was so certain would have ended the war in 1968 that he announced 'peace is at hand'. Unfortunately he obtained the evidence that Nixon called North Vietnamese representatives through an illegal wiretap so he felt like his hands were tied.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Cynic
seeker wrote:

By 1973 nobody was really buying the domino theory.

An interesting side note in this article. Apparently LBJ had evidence that Nixon prevented peace talks about which LBJ was so certain would have ended the war in 1968 that he announced 'peace is at hand'. Unfortunately he obtained the evidence that Nixon called North Vietnamese representatives through an illegal wiretap so he felt like his hands were tied.

Interesting. For the first half of 1973 I was a fetus so my own personal insight into the year is a little sparse. Smile

If true, it's unfortunate that LJB prioritized his own career and legal well-being over people's lives.

seeker
That is the reason people like Nixon survive.

Jump to Forum: