View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
hyperphysics
jayon
I go here all the time. http://hyperphysi...frame.html

Skeeve
Nice, I'll have to check it out when I get home. WiFi here isn't the best.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
I haven't done anything remotely physicsy for quite some time now. I still see myself as a physicist though.

Skeeve
Doh! I forgot about this last night.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

jayon
Theory_Execution wrote:

I haven't done anything remotely physicsy for quite some time now. I still see myself as a physicist though.

I do physics stuff all the time and usually argue with random physicist until I get put in my place. I tend to learn faster by arguing for some stupid reason. I ponder gravity and the quantum realm a lot, but nothing ever comes of it except a ton of notebooks full of crap that I have to toss out. Dont leave me alone in a room with a writing utensil and paper for too long or the paper will be filled up with that junk. I can't really shut off my mind when it comes to that stuff even though I'm still not any good at it.

Oh, and number theory too. Don't get me started on that stuff. It cost me a few jobs too, because I just had to go further in. I can't seem to stop until I prove or disprove my approach. Up to this point, it's either been disproving myself, or finding that it was something solved years before. But I have the formula too! Yay...

Yeah, at least when it comes to physics and programming, I can stop without a solution for some reason. Not sure why I feel I "must" complete some number theory proof as soon as possible even though nobody's found a solution to whatever it is for hundreds of years. Plus, it's not like I could do an actual proof. I could show an approach to one, but my training (even though I made it all the way to calc 2 and kind of calc 3 except I phased out while working on a problem for most of the year) didnt help me much with writing proofs. At least not the elegant proofs I see others writing. Doesnt matter, since I've found nothing of significance anyway and probably won't. Doesn't stop me from obsessing over it.

Theory_Execution
Well mathematics is the only realm with proof. Anything involving reality and you have to make do with best approximation.

I can get to a near obsession, but I fall short and only hit the determined. Now, in Mathematics and Science it really can make your career to be obsessed (I generally contest that it is not determination that makes people in science).

Then again, for much of the early work in science, it was simply having a lot of money and spare time to find the natural laws.

Jump to Forum: