View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Christian Reconstructionists
seeker
This very interesting article caught my attention. While I tend to think that religious radicals are only a part of the Republican assault on the federal government I can't help but point out that Islamic Theocrats were only a small faction when the Shah of Iran was deposed.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
I think this is too simplistic an argument. It ignores two very fundamental things in the current course of US politics.

The republican party finds itself as a minority party slimly holding on to rural districts or rural states and only having power if they present a united front. Therefore a minority in the party can have a strong influence because they need to present that united front. As vocal as the "Tea Party" elements of the republican party are they are a minority, as are the "Christian Reconstructionists". But, the republican party feels forced to accede to their demands because they feel the need to not alienate any possible adherents.

The rules in the senate allow a single senator to stop action on anything by simply stating they want debate to continue. This perversion of the filibuster rules allows a small minority to control actions.

None of the above should be construed to mean that I do not understand and abhor what right wing christians are doing to US politics. I am only saying that they are being allowed, because of external facts, to have more power than they should enjoy by actual numbers.

seeker
In the sense that Christian Reconstructionists are only one faction of the Republican Party I agree with you. What makes the discussion compelling, in my view, is that the Republican push to shrink government could easily create the sort of chaotic situation that religion excels in taking advantage of.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: