View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheist Channel
Hypatia
I imagine just about everyone has heard about the Atheist Channel that is set to launch on Roku 7/29/14. I just saw a post on FB that it's already been added (a wee bit early) and ready for users to subscribe to. I just went and subscribed and have it on now. Yippee.

http://blogs.tele...ing-times/

So yeah, at least in the beginning, it'll be a bit like preaching to the choir, but it's still an alternative to the endless religious channels cluttering cable and satellite t.v. and obviously could be particularly of interest to anyone questioning their belief in a god, and even to believers who are simply curious about non-theism. No doubt there will be atheists who find it of no interest, for any number of reasons, including the fact there's so much available online and there are now atheist/humanist groups around the country one can join. But I, for one, am pretty excited to have it available.

So what say ye? Is it something you'd see yourself watching?

seeker
Interesting, first I'd heard of it.

Everything is so polarized these days, I wonder if anyone actually listens to any opposing views these days.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Haha, these days? Have they ever, really? But one can still hope that, without the need to say actually carry on a dialog with others on a forum or through social media, they might sit and watch something that is an opposing view, and give some kind of thought to what they heard. It could happen, but no, I won't set myself up for disappointment by expecting so.

Skeeve
I had forgotten that was today. Thanks for the reminder!

Subscribing now.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
An article about the channel from the NYT:

http://www.nytime....html?_r=1

David Silverman, president of American Atheists
:

“The TV networks kowtow to the liars who make money off of misinformation,” he said, singling out for special contempt outlets that mix silly supernatural gunk with more serious science and nature shows.

“The Discovery Channel treats ghosts like they’re real,” he said, adding later, “Bigfoot, psychics, aliens, ghosts, spirits, gods, devils — all bunk, all pushed by the so-called truthful and scientific stations in an effort to placate the waning religion segment at the expense of the growing segment of atheists who should be, but are not, their target audience.”

seeker
LOL, you mean they don't really find Noah's Ark in the same place every year?

I do wonder if Atheist TV can survive against other networks who aren't as principled in terms of getting sponsors.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: