View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheists Are All Wrong
rbruc54
Okay, I'm new here and haven't read any other posts, so I'm sure all atheists hear this all the time.

But I don't care how many of you there are nor does it matter to me that some of the greatest thinkers of all time have tended to at least lean toward a generally atheistic philosophy. The fact is that atheism is not a viable approach to an all encompassing philosophical world view.

Any okay, maybe overstatement for shock jock effect isn't the best approach given that atheism is admittedly about 99% correct, but its basic problem is that it doesn't go far enough and just leaves the intellectual neophyte hanging. without a definitive answer as to how he got here.

Don't get me wrong, though, theism and religion are also fundamentally flawed. To say "God is the answer to everything but God is mysterious and unknowable" is a type of gibberish I wouldn't accept from my 5 year old granddaughter; as if she said "I'm not going to brush my teeth because I don't know what teeth are".

Sure, such statements are believable and may bring a person hope of some sort but they are not verifiable or in any way reasonable. (The bumper stickers I've come up with and copyrighted is "FUNDAMENTALISM IS MORE MENTAL THAN FUN" and "HOPE IS FOR DOPES".)

And going for the trifecta here, the "sitting on the fence" tactic endorsed by agnostics is a clear and woefully inadequate dodge. As if you had been Hitler's Son but still went to visit on the holidays "just to keep peace in the family".

So what is the answer to the question of who put us here? There is a creator so there must be a creator. To insist otherwise violates the basic tenet of everything we've ever made or seen created.

And the only answer we have is to label that creator God.

The issue, however, is that the word "God" is as loosely fixed as is the defining aspect of The Creator's Character, according to The Bible Thumpers. That is , most of them say "God is Love" but either of these words can mean anything to any number of people and therefore, in the end, neither terms mean anything.

So in this case, as in all attempts to understand ourselves and The Existence of The Universe, the first task is to define one's terms and it is in this realm where all of the thought systems mentioned previously are inadequate and ultimately unfulfilling.

It can be done--it must be done, if one wants to claim intellectual integrity, in fact--and I'd be glad to expound upon the matter further but I've taken up enough space with this post.

seeker
rbruc54 wrote:

Okay, I'm new here and haven't read any other posts, so I'm sure all atheists hear this all the time.

But I don't care how many of you there are nor does it matter to me that some of the greatest thinkers of all time have tended to at least lean toward a generally atheistic philosophy. The fact is that atheism is not a viable approach to an all encompassing philosophical world view.

Since you ARE new here and haven't read anything else on the site I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but you could have used a better beginning

rbruc54 wrote:Any okay, maybe overstatement for shock jock effect isn't the best approach given that atheism is admittedly about 99% correct, but its basic problem is that it doesn't go far enough and just leaves the intellectual neophyte hanging. without a definitive answer as to how he got here.

Don't get me wrong, though, theism and religion are also fundamentally flawed. To say "God is the answer to everything but God is mysterious and unknowable" is a type of gibberish I wouldn't accept from my 5 year old granddaughter; as if she said "I'm not going to brush my teeth because I don't know what teeth are".

Sure, such statements are believable and may bring a person hope of some sort but they are not verifiable or in any way reasonable. (The bumper stickers I've come up with and copyrighted is "FUNDAMENTALISM IS MORE MENTAL THAN FUN" and "HOPE IS FOR DOPES".)
Interesting that you somehow seem to feel that it is more important to have an answer than it is that be a correct answer. The reason atheism doesn't offer an ultimate existential answer is because there is NO verifiable answer to how we got here other than the current cosmological and evolutionary theories. Atheism is purely non-BELIEF, in other words when an atheist doesn't have an answer he or she doesn't just make one up but they rely on verifiable evidence to find truth.

rbruc54 wrote:And going for the trifecta here, the "sitting on the fence" tactic endorsed by agnostics is a clear and woefully inadequate dodge. As if you had been Hitler's Son but still went to visit on the holidays "just to keep peace in the family".
Actually agnosticism and atheism are identical. Both are aspects of non-belief, agnosticism is just an earlier pejorative that was applied to non-believers.

rbruc54 wrote:So what is the answer to the question of who put us here? There is a creator so there must be a creator. To insist otherwise violates the basic tenet of everything we've ever made or seen created.

And the only answer we have is to label that creator God.
That is no answer at all. Instead you have merely assumed an answer for which you have no evidence. There need not have been a creator at all. Clearly you haven't really thought through your basic philosophy.

rbruc54 wrote:The issue, however, is that the word "God" is as loosely fixed as is the defining aspect of The Creator's Character, according to The Bible Thumpers. That is , most of them say "God is Love" but either of these words can mean anything to any number of people and therefore, in the end, neither terms mean anything.

So in this case, as in all attempts to understand ourselves and The Existence of The Universe, the first task is to define one's terms and it is in this realm where all of the thought systems mentioned previously are inadequate and ultimately unfulfilling.

It can be done--it must be done, if one wants to claim intellectual integrity, in fact--and I'd be glad to expound upon the matter further but I've taken up enough space with this post.
Accept the fact that the concept of "God" is not only a creation of mankind but not even a well defined one and you'll begin to see that it is not our thought systems that are inadequate but the very notion of god that is inadequate. You run into contradictions when you begin with flawed premises. Lose the flawed premise that there is a god and you lose all those contradictions.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
I guess we'll chalk this thread up as a drive-by.

nice work, seeker. Wink
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
old habits...
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: