View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
 Print Thread
Single-Celled Giant Upends Early Evolution
Skeeve
From the [url=http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/11/20/gromia-cambrian.html]Discovery Channel[/url] website

Nov. 20, 2008 -- Slowly rolling across the ocean floor, a humble single-celled creature is poised to revolutionize our understanding of how complex life evolved on Earth.

A distant relative of microscopic amoebas, the grape-sized Gromia sphaerica was discovered once before, lying motionless at the bottom of the Arabian Sea. But when Mikhail Matz of the University of Texas at Austin and a group of researchers stumbled across a group of G. sphaerica off the coast of the Bahamas, the creatures were leaving trails behind them up to 50 centimeters (20 inches) long in the mud.

The finding could overturn conventional thinking on a mysterious time in the evolution of early life known as the Cambrian Explosion. Until about 550 million years ago, there were very few animals leaving trails behind. Then, within ten million years an unprecedented blossoming of life swarmed across the planet, filling every niche with hard-bodied, complex creatures.

Cool stuff.
Edited by Skeeve on 11/22/2008 08:56
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

derF
Stupid atheists. Don't they realize that the earth is only 6000 years old and that God is just planting this phony evidence to fool them and trick them into not believing in him so that he can cast them into hell for an eternity of suffering. Jeesh! Where do these people get off trying to believe this crap.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
That's one hell of a big single cell! Ooh, poetry.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Amazing.

Reality is more weird than fiction, once again... Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: