View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
 Print Thread
Transitional Fossils
Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:
Our baby's heads are almost too large to be born through our women's reproductive tracts; even then, a significant number of women are still very much at risk during the process. (we developed large heads too quickly for the birth canal to keep up; almost)

I for one am for smaller heads rather than larger vaginas... Grin

Rofl

The vagina is not the problem; the pelvis is.

Humans evolved with their birth canals going through the bones of the pelvis (an unfortunate design flaw). This is because our skeletons were not designed for upright, but for quadruped, and were kludged into upright position.

Thus, the bones of the pelvis had to be modified for upright stance: strengthened, modified, and so forth, to carry ALL the weight, and not just 1/2. Unfortunately, nobody re-routed the vagina..... and when the pelvic arch grew thicker to better support the newly developed stronger leg muscles..... something had to give.

Literally.

The pelvis literally splits apart during birth; it's how a forensic archeologist can sex a skeleton. (It re-fuses after, but not exactly like before.)

As I said: horrible design.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Cynic
Speaking of re-routing the vagina, I think the ultimate case for there not being a (serious) intelligent designer has to be the platypus.

I saw an article the other day about a pair of four-year-old conjoined twins who would not be able to have separation surgery due to some organ and growth complications. They're joined at the head, with a rather awkward orientation to boot, and it made me wonder how in hell they were born at all. C-section, I'd assume, but damn, gestation alone must have been an extra-special bitch. Someone needs to have a talk with their OBGYN, assuming the mother even had one.

catman
Yes, I saw that story on TV. How tragic it is, too. I imagine that serious back problems will ensue, just from the awful way that they have to walk. The story said that they couldn't be separated because their brains had grown into each other.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
There was some other weirdness too, like one was depending on the liver of the other and the other was depending on the lungs (maybe) of the first. But I think mainly it was the brain issue. Sounds like they waited too long, but it's such a fucked up situation that I'm not one to really judge it.

jayon
Bob of QF wrote:
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:
Our baby's heads are almost too large to be born through our women's reproductive tracts; even then, a significant number of women are still very much at risk during the process. (we developed large heads too quickly for the birth canal to keep up; almost)

I for one am for smaller heads rather than larger vaginas... Grin

Rofl

The vagina is not the problem; the pelvis is.

Humans evolved with their birth canals going through the bones of the pelvis (an unfortunate design flaw). This is because our skeletons were not designed for upright, but for quadruped, and were kludged into upright position.

Thus, the bones of the pelvis had to be modified for upright stance: strengthened, modified, and so forth, to carry ALL the weight, and not just 1/2. Unfortunately, nobody re-routed the vagina..... and when the pelvic arch grew thicker to better support the newly developed stronger leg muscles..... something had to give.

Literally.

The pelvis literally splits apart during birth; it's how a forensic archeologist can sex a skeleton. (It re-fuses after, but not exactly like before.)

As I said: horrible design.

Quality contol has spoken. Design team! We are on a time crunch here? Where do we reroute the vagina? Do we make smaller heads? I mean some of us are dumn enough as it is. Oh, and if the vagina is relocated, we may as well make the penis detachable. I mean why take it off just to put it right back on to take it off later, right? Can't we just let the person decide? Hell, give everyone a vagina and detachable penis (DP), we'll have a swap DP party where we stick em in a bowl, and we'll all be happy.

Oh, and what do rerouting vaginas have to do with a platypus? Pick plates of poisonous pelts from penis ridden platypi playing for the pretty pusses that pride predominantly in peaking piningly past posh petticoats putting them on poor princesses pratting patent unpious poses past Pike's pub... A platypus? Pah!

Bob, while a refused pelvis might lead people to beleive the bones are female, there are pleanty of other know factors in the pelvis that indicate a female or male in humans. The sciatic notch is actually not always the best way to tell the difference. A reliable method for getting sex from a pelvis (well, hello pelvis, is that a mirror in your pocket) is the [url=http://www.astm.org/JOURNALS/FORENSIC/PAGES/JFS4710019.htm]Phenice Method[/url], but apparently experience is the best.

[url=http://books.google.com/books?id=nHKxSVcY4gAC&pg=PA132#PPA132,M1]some forensics[/url]

[url=http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16322153]The reliability of sex determination of skeletons from forensic context in the Balkans[/url]

jayon
Speaking of brains and the design plan of another heart. I was discussing with someone of the intestines the other day and wished solidsquid was available. The simple question was do we 'feel' our intestines. On trying to study this I found it quite interesting the Eneric Nervous System. It's almost like the Enteric Plexuses are like another little brain controling our digestive tract. Getting input and sending out commands without ever going through our central nervous system. Actually, it can be completely severed from the brain and function just fine. We kind of feel things like excessive pressure when that area 'desides' to send the brain a heads up. It kind of confused me at first when the nerves were 'afferent', since those send messages, but I found soon that it doesn't really go to the central nervous system. The full name 'intrinsic primary afferent neurons' should have triggered me to this, but hey, I'm no brain surgeon or solidsquid. So, in a way, the argument came down to how we defined 'feel'. They are still mapping precise signals from the Enteric System to the brain, but it was fun to study none-the-less.

Bob of QF
Cynic wrote:
Speaking of re-routing the vagina, I think the ultimate case for there not being a (serious) intelligent designer has to be the platypus.

I saw an article the other day about a pair of four-year-old conjoined twins who would not be able to have separation surgery due to some organ and growth complications. They're joined at the head, with a rather awkward orientation to boot, and it made me wonder how in hell they were born at all. C-section, I'd assume, but damn, gestation alone must have been an extra-special bitch. Someone needs to have a talk with their OBGYN, assuming the mother even had one.

Conjoined twins are often a fatal condition.

Yet another proof, that if god exists, god is a monster.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

jayon
catman wrote:
Yes, I saw that story on TV. How tragic it is, too. I imagine that serious back problems will ensue, just from the awful way that they have to walk. The story said that they couldn't be separated because their brains had grown into each other.

Oh, are you talking about [url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hggVgvJiZLHKHENKeWFiIehYpkpAD94O4UD00]these twins[/url]? In this article, I especially love the part where it says "'They're troupers and they may be with us a long time, God willing,' Salyer said." Um, if it were up to their god's will, then they would be dead now. So does that make them anti-God's will?

Cynic
Yep -- they're the twins.

catman
Yes, that's them. Poor things.

If it were up to God's will, I'd have been dead a long time ago. Without vision correction, I would have been dead meat.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Cynic wrote:

I've seen many stand-up comedy routines suggesting that God was smoking cannibis when he designed the platypus.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

jayon
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Cynic wrote:

I've seen many stand-up comedy routines suggesting that God was smoking cannibis when he designed the platypus.

Some one on [url=http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-318682.html]this forum[/url] suggests that it was Carlin that said that. Not saying others didn't, but maybe someone can find a clip of it on youtube. I'm sure it's there, but can't really do that right now...

Jump to Forum: