View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Obama Picks Rick Warren For Invocation
Cynic
Discuss.

catman
Obama certainly seems to have a penchant for selecting objectionable religious figures. This one is a slap in the face to GLBT community for sure. His rationale for doing so, that he was invited to attend Warren's church even though the latter was aware of their differing views, so he would return the favor (and then some!) is not very convincing. It shows that an otherwise rational person parks his brain at the door when it comes to religion.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
I think the only choice he could have made that would have made me happy is None Of The Above. Who needs an invocation, anyway?

cheshiredragon
Well, we should be happy that he chose him only for a pre-speech and not appointed him a position of power & decision.
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
I see the choice as pablum to those idiots who think an invocation actually means something.

As CD points out, the idiot is not in a position of power. Who cares what ritual speechifying to a non-existant sky fairys is done beforehand?

If it helps pacify the sheeple, what harm?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
I am upset by a lot of the decisions that Obama has made and this is the latest. It is reflective of the need to placate the religious right. We as atheists must remember that we represent some 10% of the population and the religious right some 15%. The bulk of the american people being nominally christian.

To chose someone to give a christian invocation is understandable given the numbers. To chose a fascist christian to do so is unforgivable.

seeker
The problem is that fascists Christians have a lot of voices in the media. Almost all of the nonsense about Obame being a terrorist or a Muslim come from that wing. I think they have to be at least dealt with in some way or they'll just harass Obama the way they did Clinton.

catman
I am certain that the fascist Christians will harass Obama regardless, unless his policies take a turn to the right.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
Don't be surprised cat...

Sinny
Obama seems to be willing to listen to everyone wether or not he agrees/they agree or disagree. He knows Rick Warren is a millionaire and being that means he has power. Money is power as we all know but Warren also has power over the people. The christians love this guy and his books. If he hasn't already he may soon surpass LaHaye and Jenkins in book sales. Also I look at the damage Obama had to try and undo when his pastor Jeremia Wright went off on America, etc. Rick Warren is all about American family values and the church. What better way for Obama to be accepted as an American with family values with the majority that has money, power and the most votes. He certainly couldn't choose Wright so he chose the most powerful, influental or possibly the only pastor he could think of.

I would have preferred Obama choosing to have a non sectarian ceremony but noooo he had to go and choose this. Am I happy about this :no: I wonder now if Obama just cow towed to us atheists knowing YT and the media would spread the rumor....or should I say false rumor allowing us to think he wouldn't be controlled by the evangelicals and their bigotry.

catman
I hope Obama hasn't put a big one over on us. I don't think he has, but you have to remember that he's a politician. It worries me a little...first Jeremiah Wright, now Rick Warren. One would think he could make better choices.

Bob of QF
Obama's human. He's also a consummate politician: he knows full well what works, what gets people on his side. If he didn't know? He wouldn't have won....

I'm not all that worried; I don't think the religious thing is high on Obama's list of "Things To Do Right Away".

Just as I'm not at all worried Obama will somehow "ban all guns on Jan 2" like the extremists would have us believe.

Nor am I worried that Obama will raise our taxes 1,000% by February....

I think, from his speeches, he's made his high-priority list plain:

* economy issues
* health care issues
* do something about getting us out of the Mess'O'Potamia.

Beyond that? I'm not certain what he'll target; but he seems to pay attention to the polls (not unlike Clinton) and thus is actually representative of the people's wishes (completely unlike Bush).

Sinny
[quote]Bob of QF wrote:
Obama's human. He's also a consummate politician: he knows full well what works, what gets people on his side. If he didn't know? He wouldn't have won..

Right now I'm wondering if he won mostly because of lack of real competition. That is I mean had he had someone other than grandpa running against him would he have won?

Also I saw some of the interview with Warren and thought about what he said about giving in to being gay. Well that doesn't mean they should and he is naturally inclined to have sex with beautiful women...or something like that. Hmm does he know that gluttonly is one of the seven deadly sins. I'd say he doesn't considering how over weight he is.

Also since Obama wants so much to hear all sides and reach out ..even those he disagrees with then maybe he should invite the KKK. Oh wait that's a no...well don't they consider themselves to be christians too.

I hope he keeps his word about raising taxes. I don't make $100,000.00 a year.

catman
I'd say 'grandpa' was real competition. He won my state, and the popular vote was fairly close. If he hadn't had Palin dragging him down, it might have been closer.

The KKK...well, why not, if he wants to hear all sides? Yes, they consider themselves to be Christians, with their burning crosses.

I don't think Obama has set his sights on gun confiscation. (Irony alert!)

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
I don't think Obama has set his sights on gun confiscation. (Irony alert!)

I agree: he never even gave a nod to the anti-gun movement with a comment during his speeches.

I'm not worried my collection of firearms will be confiscated any time soon. Now, my portable personal nuclear hand grenades? Well, I may have to hide those away... :rol:

catman
:lol: Yes, he might be rather critical of their mass. (I can't believe I said that!)

seeker
Obama is just being a politician, trying to placate as many groups as possible. My worry is not so much that he is insincere but that he gets so many differing opinions that he never gets anything done.

Hypatia
For anyone who'd like to email to request that Warren, and all prayer, be dropped from the inauguration, you can use this link: http://change.gov...t/contact/

or you can write to:

The Honorable Barack Obama, President-Elect
c/o Presidential Inaugural Committee 2009
Washington DC 20599

Let your opinion on the matter be known as far as it can be 'heard'.

Sinny
seeker wrote:
Obama is just being a politician, trying to placate as many groups as possible. My worry is not so much that he is insincere but that he gets so many differing opinions that he never gets anything done.

That could easily happen Seeker unless he manages to get each group to give one thing so the other can have something else. If all are willing to negotiate fairly it could be worked out. If the religious org's. want grants and tax breaks then atheist org's should get the same. If they want the right to oppose abortion then Alliance for Stem Cell Research should be allowed and get/receive donations without it being opposed just like the religious org's do. That's where they get the money from...not just donations from members.

RayvenAlandria
I think it's rather nauseating that he picked Warren. It disappoints me greatly.

Jump to Forum: