View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Band of Brothers
Cynic
So I finally got around to borrowing the Band of Brothers box set and watching it. I'd been meaning to watch it since it was on HBO, but alas, I didn't have HBO back in 2001 either...

Anyway, I can't recommend it enough. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a 10-hour miniseries that follows the original (and replacement) members of the 101st Airborne's Easy Company, the attack company of the first American paratrooper division as they progress from Normany, Holland, Bastogne, etc. It's based on the book of the same name.

If anyone wants to spend 10 hours reminding themselves why WWII seems to have disproportionate share of attention compared to the likes of Korea, Vietnam, and all the more recent conflicts, check it out. Those shorter movies just don't quite capture it like this one does.

catman
I've seen parts of it, and it is extremely good. I also read a iography of the "biggest brother" (the company commander) which was excellent. I wish I had the whole series.
Edited by catman on 12/22/2008 15:34
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
You mean Dick Winters? He came across as a decent commander, yeah. Having watched the series, I'm feeling inclined to go read something by Steven Ambrose.

Cynic
It's an interesting format for a miniseries. It's less a "miniseries" and more of a "mini series". Each one-hour segment covers the same cast, but usually on someone different each time, each with a different overall theme, and each with a different part of the war to cover (well, Bostogne took two of them). It's diffinately right up your alley, Catman, as I understand your alley, anyway. Smile

There are six DVDs, the first five have two episodes per, and the last is packed with interesting special features, including a ton of commentary from the actual men the episodes portrays. I'd say it's worth your time to rent them.

catman
Yeah, Dick Winters. I couldn't remember his name. Sometimes I can hardly remember my own.

I'd like to just get the whole series on DVD. It's well worth it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: