View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
 Print Thread
Texas teacher fired because he's Atheist
RayvenAlandria
[url]http://www.dangeroustalk.net/?p=49[/url]

Texas Teacher suspended for being

Nails3Jesus0
I would think that the ACLU would be the obvious organization to contact.This is what they do.

Sinny
I would try the ACLU and Secular.com. It wouldn't hurt to look into American Atheists Org also. If this is a private School and/or religious School not secular or public they may have some trouble helping him. IMO regardless of if it is or not it's still discrimination and bigotry. Why is a Pastor even getting involved in the decision to suspend or even fire a teacher? Seems to me the pastor is running the School not the Principal or School Board...they take orders from the pastor. Does his church own, run the School.

I hope Mr. Mullens knows not to talk to the students with out recording what is said even if they are on his side. Especially when/if one on one or at his home. You never know when a parent will pressure their son/daughter into framing him, even when the student doesn't want to. I'm surprised there isn't video taping in classes today with all the accusations and teacher/student affairs being reported. Even if he isn't atheist there is no need to bring up a god in class and if he is atheist it shouldn't matter.

I hope Mr. Mullens hires a lawyer, preferably an atheist one, and sues them for discrimination, bigotry, false suspension (or whatever you call it) and the cost of his having to hire a lawyer.
Edited by Sinny on 02/06/2009 18:44

JohnH
Sadly I would not be surprised if this teacher ends up moving on or retiring. It seems like he does have enough years in that he should be able to retire.

If the nature of the area is as described then the likelihood of him getting a fair hearing in court is probably very low. Even if the facts are (as they appear) all on his side the sort of people who he will face in court, including the judge, will be more than willing to find against him because he is both an atheist and a liberal.

There are a vast number of instances in american court rooms where findings are made not on the basis of fact but on the basis of who you are. Imagine being an african-american facing a criminal charge in 1955 Mississippi, or 2008 Jena, Louisiana for example.

Doubting Thomas
This is very saddening but not surprising.

I'm reminded of those Texas tourism commercials that have the motto: "Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country." Unfortunately, it seems to be the Republic of Redneck Jesusland.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sinny
I remember that motto DT. I have a much better understanding of it today than I did back then which scares me a little but I still roll my eyes at it.

If he goes to court and looses it could do serious damage to his reputation. I don't know but wonder if it would prevent him from getting another job. I hope he finds an organization and a lawyer who will fight hard for him andhe wins. If this isn't possible then I hope he lands a job teaching in a college/university and ends up with a much higher salary than he has now. It would prove that atheists do get discriminated against and that's something everyone needs to know. Many xtians claim that isn't true it would help to have concrete evidence show how wrong they are. So I not only hope can fight back legally to get it on the books this School and admins. are in fact discriminating against him b/c he's an atheist and liberal. Sure would have better if it never happened though.

It's not right that this happened and worse when atheists can't fight back. I'm sure there are so many cases that go unreported or are hidden from the public.
Edited by Sinny on 02/07/2009 22:11

Hypatia
EEOC. ACLU. Anything and everything he can do to not take this lying down or quietly. He may not win, but he (IMO) shouldn't quietly crawl away without trying to bring the truth out into the open and, most importantly, keep his job.

And make others aware that if they try to do this to other people they're likely to get stood up to, too. It's the only way to let the kinds of people who want to continue doing things this way know that no longer can they expect atheists to quietly go away with their tails between their legs. Those days have to end.

catman
I must say that, unfortunately and with sorrow, that I'm not at all surprised. Critical thinking is definitely frowned upon, especially if students are taught to use it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
That is exactly one of the most important reasons it must be done - and boldly and loudly, I say!

Cool

No, but seriously, I mean it.

*Edit - what, that is truth and useful and non-restrictive in the best of ways, hasn't been frowned upon, by theists?
Edited by Hypatia on 02/18/2009 14:28

catman
But if students are taught how to think critically, why, it might remove the blind faith and patriotism (e.g. "my country, right or wrong"). We can't have that, can we?ShockWink
Edited by catman on 02/18/2009 15:51
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Of course not. And don't forget 'In Gawd We Trust'. After all, that 'uns on our money.

But I wonder - what's taking so long in getting it on our credit cards? We must have back up, so when we aren't shelling out green at the check stand our churchoment (church/government) will make sure we not forget.

catman
Good point! Those damned heathen credit card companies...I like the word 'churchoment'.Wink

Jump to Forum: