Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Founder of Islamic TV station accused of beheading wife
Cynic
From Deborah Brunswick and LaNeice Collins
CNN

Founder of Islamic TV station accused of beheading wife
NEW YORK (CNN) -- The founder of an Islamic television station in upstate New York aimed at countering Muslim stereotypes has confessed to beheading his wife, authorities said.

Muzzammil Hassan has been charged with murder in the death of his wife, Aasiya Hassan.

Muzzammil Hassan was charged with second-degree murder after police found the decapitated body of his wife, Aasiya Hassan, at the Bridges TV station in the Buffalo suburb of Orchard Park, said Andrew Benz, Orchard Park's police chief.

Hassan was arrested Thursday.

His wife filed for divorce January 6, and police had responded to several domestic violence calls at the couple's home, Benz said.

Hassan went directly to the police station after his wife's death and confessed to killing her, Benz told CNN. Benz declined to give further details.

Attempts to reach an attorney for Hassan were unsuccessful, and his family didn't return calls from CNN.

He had two children, 4 and 6, with his wife. He had two other children, 17 and 18, from his previous marriage.

He launched Bridges TV, billed as the first English-language cable channel targeting Muslims inside the United States, in 2004. At the time, Hassan said he hoped the network would balance negative portrayals of Muslims following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

The station's staff is "deeply shocked and saddened by the murder of Aasiya Hassan and the subsequent arrest of Muzzammil Hassan," a statement from Bridges TV said.

"Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families of the victim," the statement said.

(Emphasis mine.)

Way to battle those stereotypes, Muzzammil!

RayvenAlandria
I was coming here to post about this very issue. I found out about it at Reuters. How tragic.

http://www.reuter...ZX20090216

Doubting Thomas
Anyone else find it ironic that the purpose of his TV station was to counteract stereotypes of Muslims? Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sinny
Man those poor kids...first they loose their Mother now they will be Fatherless when he's in prison where he belongs. If he had chosen another way to kill his wife the stereotype wouldn't actually fit the way it does now. I hope the ratbastard gets life in prison or the death penalty. Her life was taken before it was meant to be by being unjustly murdered.

He did reinforce the stereotype and probably made it much harder for the muslims in America who don't want to be stereotyped or live like that but much prefer to be, at least, a little more Americanized and accepted.

Hypatia
I don't get why he was only charged with second degree murder - why not first, or capital? Second degree just doesn't seem right. If it's because he turned himself in, to that I say horse shit!

He stayed true to one of the things that seems to be a common thread with so many christian sects - the man is the 'head' of the home and everyone beneath him is to do as he says (and what is supposedly taught in their holey books) and not as he does.

Apparently the Muslim woman still doesn't do the leaving, even when hubby is preaching a newer, gentler look for Muslims, and even though they reside in the US.

All those kids probably know and care about is that both their parents are gone and they have no idea why.

Religion ruins everything.

catman
I agree. How is that not first-degree murder?

I wonder how much the kids do know, and what they think about it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
I was thinking about posting something under the judaism section and then remembered that this forum sometimes does not understand subtlety.

No one commented when the Israelis killed some 1,300 in Gaza. Suffering some 13 casualties themselves, 4 by "friendly" fire. No one commented that the Israelis used white phosphorus on civilians. No one has commented on the long term imprisonment of the people of the west bank or Gaza. No one commented months ago when the Israelis attacked southern Lebanon. No one commented when a few days ago the Israelis decided to annex more territory in the west bank to increase the size of a settlement.

But, a crazed Muslim who kills his wife in a fashion consistent with his culture demands his own separate thread.

I will mention the BLT killer only to avoid the claim of anti-semitism. It should be noted that for the most part muslims are semitic.

Think about why we define muslim criminals as different. Think about why we accept christian or jewish criminals as different.

Cynic
By the journalistic standards of this particular realm, the constant barbarism in the area immediately within and surrounding Isreal isn't "newsworthy" -- it happens all the damned time. You'll also note a distinct lack of discussion when Hamas provokes attacks on Gaza. A Muslim beheading his wife in NYC, particularlly given the high irony factor, however is definately news.

JohnH
Cynic your are so full of BS. Opps I forgot who I was for a moment.

My point remains that muslim illegality remains a thing of comment when illegality by people of other religions gets no significant comment. Why should this piece of illegality demand comment. I suggest that it is more because of the religion of the perpetrator than the actual act.

I will admit that there is a bit of irony in this specific case. That is why I mentioned the BLT killer who apparently was some sort of pillar in his church.

I would point out that to my mind hamas attacks on Israel get a lot more press than Israeli attacks on Gaza or the West Bank. I frankly think you have that wrong.
Edited by JohnH on 02/18/2009 13:23

catman
In this case, I don't think the religion (Islam) can be separated from the act. There aren't too many beheadings in NYC, as far as I know, and it is one of the favored methods of execution by Muslims. You aren't saying that the beheading should be considered OK because it was done by a Muslim, are you? There are many killings in NYC, but beheadings? That would tend to draw attention.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Why would anyone kill over a sandwich? My wife gets pretty mad when they put on too much mayo, or when she has to ask for the mustard two or three times and only gets when everyone else is done eating. But BLTs are hardly worth killing over.

Bear in mind, John, we're specificically discussing what qualifies as newsworthy. Not important, significant, or whatever. Newsworthy. That's got a life of its own and isn't really subject to justification. I mean, what in hell could justify tabloids, right? Yet they remain profitable.

You're basically complaining about what I feel are very universally human traits, that tendency to if not care only about that which emminent and familiar, to be more shocked by that which is less familiar or like us. I think we both agree that this is a part of humanity that should risen above, but I think it's important to understand the phenomenon for what it is so that proper emphasis can be placed on how to fix it.

First, Israel is, if not in reality, at least seen as being more familiar to us than Palistine. Jews are and have been far more common in America and Europe -- at least at the time the extremely relevant inception of Israel -- than are Muslims. (I'm speaking of the American persepctive here because I don't feel qualified to give another other -- another consequence of human nature applied to the insolar American circumstance.) For many reasons -- WWII, their persecution home and abroad in a startling range of ways, the fact that that animosity has largely been elimintated today, etc -- the Jews in Israel are seen as extensions of the Jews next door. Not so Muslims of any sort. Not only are they not immediately familiar in a general sense, let alone storied in our own history, but what we do know of them is far more diverse and almost universally in terms of how much they fucking hate us. As a matter of practical common sense, if you want a people to have sympathy for and give respect to you and your cause, try not to let them know how much you hate them so much.

Again, that's by way of understanding, not justifying.

Second, I'll suggest again that -- for whatever reason -- it's Hamas that provokes the attacks. So what happens is the same sort of news cycle you always see: the news jumps all over it, and then gets bored. The majority of the focus being on Hamas attacking Isael rather than other way around is then exactly what you'd expect.

JohnH
Cynic, I laughed for about ten minutes when I finally realized my confusion between BLT and BTK, then I got mad. Only an ignorant fool like you could mistake what I meant and then make fun of me. I will condemn you forever. I will also ask that when I make a stupid mistake again that you explain it without cleverness. I may have difficulty with cleverness, and how dare you mock me.

Catman and Cynic, I am afraid you both prove my point. We are far more likely to comment on muslim related violence than other religion's violence.

Catman you correctly point out that beheading is unusual in america. A good american would beat the living shit out of his wife if he wanted to kill her.

Cynic, I have a harder time responding to your comments. I am not entirely certain what you are saying.

I will disagree with the idea that Hamas provokes attacks. They do in a sense but it cannot be considered without considering the provocation provided by Israel. If your home was prevented from getting food, clean water, sewage service, cooking gas, and routinely attacked by an outside agency would you not want to strike back at that outside agency. If we wanted to we could go back to 1948 and have a long discussion of who is more at fault. The most telling fact is the number of Palestinians killed versus the number of Israelis. I think that tells who has been more aggressive.

The familiarity argument is frankly what I have a problem with. Why is it that because mulims are less familiar they should be held to a different standard. It is more or less why I commented in the first place. We find muslims the other. Therefore we can condemn their actions more readily. This is wrong no matter how you cut it.

Doubting Thomas
Yes, the Israelis do commit barbarous acts just like the Islamic terrorist groups in Israel do. But that's beyond the scope of the article posted.

The issue is that the guy who owns a TV station in NYC that tries to erase stereotypes of muslims beheaded his wife in a typically muslim fashion... further promoting the stereotype that all muslims are barbaric nutjobs. I find it very ironic and slightly humorous (though darkly so) that this occurred, and would only really be funny if it were part of the plot of a dark comedy movie.

Yes, I was a bit confused when you talked about the BLT killer, though the thought of a serial killer who strangles his victims and shoves a sandwich in thier mouth is again a little humorous.

Then again, maybe I'm not completely rehabilitated from my 14 years working in the law enforcement field.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
The issue is that the guy who owns a TV station in NYC that tries to erase stereotypes of muslims beheaded his wife in a typically muslim fashion... further promoting the stereotype that all muslims are barbaric nutjobs. I find it very ironic and slightly humorous (though darkly so) that this occurred, and would only really be funny if it were part of the plot of a dark comedy movie.

I'm with you, on this one DT.

To me, it just says that underneath it all, we are all pretty much victims of our deepest cultural upbringings. The poor dead wife, and the poor deluded murderer-- both victims.

No! I'm *not* excusing his barbarous act....for I *do* think free will is real.

But, it *was* sadly and darkly humorous that in his likely final act affecting the public's perception of Muslims, he undermined any good his previous actions may have accomplished.

And "proved" to many thoughtless folk that "all muslims are barbarians"....

*sigh*

I blame this silly idea: "have some faith. It's a GOOD thing"

No. Faith by itself is *not* a "good" thing...if history is worth anything.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
In my mind I can see this guy holding a sword over his head and yelling "Ayeyayayayayayaye!" before bringing it down removing the head of his wife. Which proves that I too am not above stereotyping, especially when incidents of this nature occur. No, I don't know that he used a sword. No, I don't believe that all Arabic people own swords in which to decapitate infidels. Yes, I know it's the women who scream "Ayeyayayayayayayaye!" in Islamic countries. But the damn stereotypes persist in my mind, and this guy didn't help matters any.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
.... and this guy didn't help matters any.

Exactly.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: