View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
 Print Thread
Anti evolution letter
Skeeve
Not sure I should put this in a science forum, but...

Todays Lawton Constitution had this Letter to the Editor:

(scanned it to keep from having to type all this shit out)
[img]http://atheiststoday.com/images/evolution_opinion1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://atheiststoday.com/images/evolution_opinion2.jpg[/img]

It hurts.Sad
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
She's delusional.

On a more interesting note, did you know that certain bacteria have evolved to digest nylon? Pretty cool huh? Evolution in action.

catman
It's hard to know where to begin. What a load. Sheesh.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Dammit, Skeeve. I had a headache before I read that, now I've got a raging migrane!

Oh, so many erroneous assumptions, where to start? It's like looking a a totally cluttered garage knowing that you need to clean it out, but you just don't even want to get started. Too much work, because the owner of the garage wants to keep all the junk, so keeps bringing everything you pull out back in.

So, I'll just say there's so much there that has nothing to do with evolution. Why do stupid creationists (redundant, I know) always equate evolution with Big Bang theory, origins of the universe, age of the universe, etc? And someone mentioned on another thread the idea of equating things you don't like to Hitler (my head still hurts so can't remember the name of it). From what I've read, Ben Stein did the same thing in Expelled, so apparently this stupid lady must have watched that mockumentary & decded to write an angry letter to the editor.

Fundies like this wanting ID taught in schools just want to keep our kids stupid. Remember, don't question our origins, all you need to know is summed up in one word: Goddidit!
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
Most of the people who conflate biological evolution with stellar evolution have been sidling up to the kool-aid bar over at Answers in Genesis. It's always depressing arguing with those sorts, 'cause it would take about two years to have them unlearn all that crap (in the unlikely event that they would be interested in being corrected).

Doubting Thomas
What these people don't seem to realize, or rather don't care, is that Intelligent Design is not science. It is thinly-veiled religious creationism. Proponents of Intelligent Design have developed no scientific theories, uncovered no facts, and have not issued any peer-reviewed papers supporting the idea. All ID consists of is weak attempts to discredit evolution, usually with straw man arguments, so that ID will look like the winner in comparison. ID is not science because it is not trying to prove a positive, but is always trying to disprove a positive. Read that letter to the editor again and try to come up with one positive idea of proof for ID. You can't, because ID proponents have nothing other than the bible which promotes the idea of an intelligent creator.

What fundie ID believers never seem to realize is that disproving evolution does not prove ID as true, but in their minds there's only two alternatives. And of course we're totally forgetting the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory of life origins.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 02/22/2009 09:25

Bob of QF
*sigh*

Nothing new.

I *started* my on-line forum experience over at Topix, specifically:

Evolution Debate.

[url]http://www.topix.net/forum/news/evolution[/url]

*ALL* of her stupid "arguments" are old, and have been thourolly debunked, thousands of times.

And I can prove it, too: my name has nearly 15,000 posts since 2006 when they started tracking these things. Grin

Okay, most of those posts were philosophical and religious (or, rather, anti-religious) in nature.

But I did quite a bit of anti-creationism, too.

Here's one of my favorite resources of anti-creationism
[url]http://www.talkorigins.org/[/url]

And make no mistake, [un]Intelligent Design is just Creationism with a fancied up "sciency" name...

Sciency. The last refuge of fools. Grin
Edited by Bob of QF on 02/22/2009 14:00
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

General-Pryce
Oh dear. My favourite line is :

"Microevolution should not be called evolution at all but variation or adaption"

As far as I was aware the word evolution translated from the original (Greek?) was "Gradual Change". Change and adaptation are practially the same, so she simply seems to have an issue with using the original foreign word and would rather use an English translation.

What a dumb fuck.

cheshiredragon
I have two words for this woman. CONGO RIVER!!!
Take that for an evolution ride. weeeeeeeee
That's right, I said it...

catman
"Way down upon the Con-go River..." (to the tune of Swanee River)Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
And catman is good. *COUGH* IF he'd tell me where he plays then I'd know!!!

That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
General-Pryce wrote:
Oh dear. My favourite line is :

"Microevolution should not be called evolution at all but variation or adaption"

As far as I was aware the word evolution translated from the original (Greek?) was "Gradual Change". Change and adaptation are practially the same, so she simply seems to have an issue with using the original foreign word and would rather use an English translation.

What a dumb fuck.

They *are* the same-- exactly the same.

What I ask on forums whenever someone claims "microevolution" is real and "macroevolution" is not, is *what* is the magical barrier that prevents millions of micro-evolutionary steps from turning into macro-evolution?

They cannot answer, obviously, for there is no such barrier-- not even in their magical book (holey bable).
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
You're just not supposed to ask such questions. After all, Goddidit.

Solidsquid
I see similar writings in my hometown newspaper all the time. Recently I wrote a rebuttal to a guest article that appeared in the paper. Here's the original article if anyone wishes to read it:

[url]http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/dec/11/vp_col_corte_121309_77108/?columns[/url]

And here is the rebuttal I wrote (you can read all the comments at the link to my blog there):

[url]http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/neurognosis/2010/jan/20/why-we-shouldnt-teach-creationism/[/url]

A guest article appeared in the Victoria Advocate, titled

Skeeve
Nice compilation, Squid...and I see from the comments it fell on deaf ears, which isn't surprising.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

derF
Poor brainwashed woman. No one or nothing is going to get her to see the light.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
Whew, that's some response Solid.

As always, exceptional.

Good to have a post from you here.
Edited by Hypatia on 01/25/2010 00:58

catman
Indeed. Good to see a post from you again, Squid. A magisterial one!

Solidsquid
catman wrote:
Indeed. Good to see a post from you again, Squid. A magisterial one!

I gotta do my best to make an (re)entrance Smile

Doubting Thomas
Excellent, well thought-out article, but apparently it was way over the heads of those reading it, if the comments are anything to judge by. Perhaps it fell into the tl;dr category for most, and the scientific talk, unfortunately, is not going to affect the "if we came from monkeys then why are their still monkeys?" mindset. And of course it's not going to change the minds of the "your just an evil athiest you need jesus in you're life or your gonna burn in hell forever!!!1!!" people.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 01/26/2010 09:57

Jump to Forum: