View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Crash pilot who paused to pray is convicted
Cynic
http://www.reuter...3B20090325

PALERMO (Reuters) - A Tunisian pilot who paused to pray instead of taking emergency measures before crash-landing his plane, killing 16 people, has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by an Italian court along with his co-pilot.
The 2005 crash at sea off Sicily left survivors swimming for their lives, some clinging to a piece of the fuselage that remained floating after the ATR turbo-prop aircraft splintered upon impact.

A fuel-gauge malfunction was partly to blame but prosecutors also said the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures and then opting to crash-land the plane instead trying to reach a nearby airport.

Another five employees of Tuninter, a subsidiary of Tunisair, were sentenced to between eight and nine years in jail by the court, in a verdict handed down Monday.

The seven accused, who were not in court, will not spend time in jail until the appeals process has been exhausted.

(Writing by Phil Stewart)

Good deal. People need to understand that this kind of behavior isn't just pointless and stupid, but actually immoral if you're otherwise able to affect the situation.
Edited by Cynic on 03/25/2009 19:21

Hypatia
Well bravo. I hope US judges read this article.

Even those who still insist in believing in 'the power of prayer' should be able to conclude that if it doesn't 'work' they may not get what they ask for, so skip it and actually do whatever you can do instead.

But since so many will continue to pray - thinking they're doing the best thing - I'm glad some are beginning to come to their senses and are now prosecuting people like this.
Edited by Hypatia on 03/25/2009 15:40

Sinny
Cynic I can't seem to get the site it's not available so I found it in google. I can't cut and paste the article in quotes due to rights reserved but I can post the site address for people to read in their site.

http://www.portfo...ed-to-pray

Yeah it's about time this was stopped. Especially now that people are knowingly getting killed due to stopping just to pray making the prayer responsible and negligent. It's one thing to scream out 'oh god' while making every attempt to prevent and conforming to proper proceedures to save lives but quite another to stop and do nothing just to pray when they could have saved lives instead.

EDIT: Oops thanks Cynic Wink
Edited by Sinny on 03/26/2009 06:41

Cynic
(Fixed.)

Doubting Thomas
Hypatia wrote:
Even those who still insist in believing in 'the power of prayer' should be able to conclude that if it doesn't 'work' they may not get what they ask for, so skip it and actually do whatever you can do instead.

Naw, the reason it didn't work is because he was Tunisian and probably praying to Allah instead of the one true God. If he'd prayed to Jesus, angels would have come down from Heaven and carried the plane to safety. But since he prayed to a false god, God decided to dump the evil heathens into the ocean.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
No doubt. So the folks on the Montana plane must have freaked out too much to pray, or their 'god' just said, 'Sorry, not today. You're going down.' Or maybe the pilot didn't pray with them. Damned heathen.

Doubting Thomas
Well, in that situation, it must have been part of God's plan. Or they didn't pray hard enough. Or they went to the wrong church. Or they were sinners. There has to be a reason.

catman
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Well, in that situation, it must have been part of God's plan. Or they didn't pray hard enough. Or they went to the wrong church. Or they were sinners. There has to be a reason.

There is a reason. The pilot was an idiot!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
catman wrote:
Doubting Thomas wrote:

There is a reason. The pilot was an idiot!

Couldn't agree more
That's right, I said it...

Doubting Thomas
No, I mean there has to be a reason God didn't save those people. Of course it's fairly obvious to critical thinkers that the reason is that God doesn't exist. And the pilot was an idiot. But to the faithful, they'll always come up with a reason to justify it.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 04/03/2009 20:54

cheshiredragon
True, they always do need something to comfort them after a "tragedy." I use quotes because tragedy is so loosely used now days. Like, hero for example. I want to hear what the church's explanation was on that pastor a year or two ago that was electrocuted with the mic in the baptismal water. "God felt like chicken tonight?"
Good thing we don't need any comfort after something like this. We just think, "well, that's a shame" or something similar per situation. However, I have always found a hug is good enough comfort for me.
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: