View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Why atheism?
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Theism manifestly inadequate
comfortable
Why atheism?

Simple, the alternative provides no answers.
It provides dogma, a sense of belonging, a sense of one's own existence being significant (part of God's plan), but no answers.

When a child, and you asked a trusted parent a question, were you satisfied with "Because I said so!" as an answer?

If you still want those kinds of answers, then get religion.

Otherwise, how could you willingly embrace a cosmic monster (in concept - there is no real cosmic monster who will judge you when you die)?

I refuse to cow before malicious extortionists. If I wouldn't buy "fire insurance" from Vinnie, the local Mafia enforcer, to protect my small store from a mysterious fire which 'could happen' (in Vinnie's not-to-subtle threat), why would I ever profess love for a cosmic version of 'Vinnie' who demands weekly payments to prevent my eternal torment - (this cosmic Vinnie-the-enforcer admits that he created Hell).

Can anyone spell Stockholm Syndrome?
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

catman
comfortable: Good to see a post from you again at the new digs! I couldn't agree more. 'God' is alleged to represent love, but damnation to eternal suffering hardly qualifies. Besides, whence came evil if this god created everything? Since this god knew everything that would happen, it would all be his responsibility, not ours. I realize, of course, that I am "preaching to the choir".
Edited by catman on 09/14/2009 00:18
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Adam Ajaja
catman wrote:
'God' is alleged to represent love

I don't get that claim considering the reasons for many of their deity's atrocities. Just taking the one example of sending a pair of female bears to maim 42 children for making fun of Elisha's bald head puts him in the nasty, evil shit category

http://www.godles...dkills.htm

*edit: made link clickable
Edited by Skeeve on 09/14/2009 07:42

catman
Adam: My point was that I "don't get that claim" either! I suppose the holier-than-thou types think that 'his ways are not like ours', etc. and give their god a free pass to do whatever it wants. After all, it's 'God'.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Yeah, catman: the old "might makes right" syndrome.

*barf*
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I've often said that you wouldn't enter into a marriage with someone who held a gun to your head threatening to kill you if you didn't, but Christians willingly worship a being who they believe will torture them for eternity if they don't.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

derF
Christianity is just the herding instinct carried out to it's nth degree. Stupid cattle.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
That is the 'love' of 'God'.

Jump to Forum: