View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
'Darwin's Darkest Hour' Tonight on PBS (Nova)
Hypatia
Those of you on the US side of the pond might be interested to know that Nova (PBS) will be airing 'Darwin's Darkest Hour' tonight, 7:00 EST, 8:00 MST. Check your local listings.

catman
I saw the last half of it. It was really quite good!

Theory_Execution
Do you think it will get uploaded to the interwebs at some point, I wouldn't mind watching.

Cynic
No doubt PBS will have it for sale.

I'm actually really sick of Darwin. Not his fault, really, but if there's anything evolution doesn't need in the ongoing struggle against ignorance, it's a FACE.

Theory_Execution
The old theories always have a face, thats the nature of the beast. You have your well to do upper classes spending their days messing with things until they find something interesting.

It has only been in the last 30 maybe 40 that universities have opened up, and education has been given to a wider group that faces have given way to the ideas themselves.

For instance, who can name the greatest proponent of the three particle model of subatomic structure? I should be able to, I had lectures from the guy, but I cant.

Hypatia
I thought it was a very good movie - very well done.

Once again I'm well pleased with what Nova and PBS has delivered.

As cynic said, I'm sure PBS will make it available, at some point, on DVD. Hopefully there will be at least clips of it available online somewhere.

Cynic
Theory_Execution wrote:
The old theories always have a face, thats the nature of the beast. You have your well to do upper classes spending their days messing with things until they find something interesting.

It has only been in the last 30 maybe 40 that universities have opened up, and education has been given to a wider group that faces have given way to the ideas themselves.

For instance, who can name the greatest proponent of the three particle model of subatomic structure? I should be able to, I had lectures from the guy, but I cant.

I think you mean Bohr, but I could be wrong about that. Physics and chemistry is an excellent example of my point though. Of those two vast fields, only relativity seems to have its inventor's name indelably imprinted on it, and that's generally because he was an interesting person and because it's a good story.

In biology, I think they only reason Darwin himself gets so much press is because his theory has so many people against it. He's like the devil to them. Being unable to comprehend even the most basic tennets of evolution (as at its heart, evolution is dead simple), opponents of evolution are left needing someone to shout about instead, a label to stick on it so they know when to recoil in disgust. It feels like celebrating Darwin is playing into their hands somehow. Oh well, the man deserves recognition, I guess, regardless of how forced and defensive that reconition is.

Theory_Execution
Nope, Bohr was before my uni education (died in 1962 apparently), we still learn about the Bohr radius of the atoms though, amended ofcourse by recent updates.

He was by no means the originator (discoverer a better word?) of the system, but he spent much of his later life defending it against this 5 quark model that comes around every seven or so years. (EDIT: the lecturer I initially was talking about).

I get what you mean Cynic, its the same with anything, ignorance isnt something you have to try hard at if you think your life will be better if you just dont know. It is a shame that that is how many people live their lives. Fear of the unknown, but you know what they say about fear, overcome it by tackling the problem head on.

Iv noticed these American fundamentalist creationist books coming over to the UK in the last couple of years, I wonder how long it is before we have nutters printing good books with a few extra notes on crisp straw paper.
Edited by Theory_Execution on 10/08/2009 17:31

Hypatia
I can see your point cynic, but even so, I still think, personally, I'd find Darwin interesting, the same way I've found Galileo, Einstein, Newton and so on interesting.

derF
Ahh, it is so sad when one refuses to pay for premium cable service and misses out on all this good shit. (sigh)Sad
Edited by derF on 10/08/2009 22:02
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF: the Darwin show was on PBS.

Hypatia
Yep.

An' it says so right in the name of this thread, and my OP too. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/6.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

;p
Edited by Hypatia on 10/09/2009 00:38

Cynic
Weird. There's that "OP" thing again. I thought it was just a convention of JREF. Maybe I've just been oblivious.

Hypatia
[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Opening post? James Randi Educational Foundation?

Cynic
Hypatia wrote:
[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Opening post? James Randi Educational Foundation?

Opening, original, post, or poster. And yes. I don't recall seeing it much elsewhere, but these things rarely come out of a vacuum, just out of left field -- where I never seem to be looking. Smile

Jump to Forum: