View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Liberals lost their reason to be.
Max
derF wrote:
derF wrote:
[quote]MAX WROTE" I am not sure how burkas open the way to concealed weapons any more than baggy clothes or trench coats, so I am afraid I don't see the point of that argument.

It is believed that many if not all of Al Qaeda's most wanted criminals slipped across the border from Afghanistan into Pakistan under the veil of Burkas. Hundreds of suicide bombers have made their way into heaviiy populated areas to detonate themselves while concealed by burkas. Burkas are used to conceal unbelievably deadly weapons. AK47's, grenades, even grenade launchers have been found concealed under the ample fabric of burkas. AT least with baggy clothes and trench coats there is the possibility of identifying the culprit before he or she commits the atrocity. Try cashing a check or paying a traffic fine or opening a bank account while wearing a full head covering motorcycle helmet with dark visor and see how far it gets you. The use of a burka prevents anyone from knowing who or what is beneath the concealment. It is an open invitation to criminals of all sorts to operate in complete anonymity. Totally unacceptable in an open society.

Written debates are different because the words themselves have to be taken at their literal value. Accent and pace and attempts at sly humor are impossible to detect from a written sentence. I am saying that the use of the burka is fine for anyone who is avoiding direct sunlight or is hoping that a neighbor whom they abhor doesn't recognize them. But when it comes to the point where the use of the burka is used as a means of impeding the identity of anyone I am totally against it. I will not and do not want to associate with anyone who wants to interact with me while totally concealed and who's communication (much of it conveyed by facial expression) is hidden from me. I don't condone wearing it. It doesn't wash with me. I have no more to say on this topic.

Any loose clothing can be used to conceal weapons. You can smuggle weapons in blankets as well. And in that part of the world, a quick bribe will probably eliminate the need for concealing weapons. If burkas are banned, they will just use something else. Banning articles of clothing won't solve anything. Has banning trench coats from public schools cut down on gun violence in America? I don't think so. That's a pretty weak defense.

I don't condone wearing burkas either; I condone a woman's right to wear one if they choose to do so. I find it quite petty that you will refuse to speak to someone that wears clothing you find objectionable, but that's your choice.

Cynic
I don't why I'm daring to engage in this, but....

Many of your points against burkas are kind of reaching, Derf, like the weapon concealment one. At the same time, Max, his points about conducting business with a helmet and face sheild on have merit and deserve consideration.

To that end though, I think it's perfectly reasonable to both allow what should be, IMO, an obvious right to wear such a thing, but to also allow businesses their own perogative to refuse service to those who won't show themselves. Will that lead to abuse in the form of racism? Absolutely. But given the damned if you do, damned if you don't nature of the situation, I think it's reasonable to both allow for both freedom and its consequences.

derF
Cynic wrote:
I don't why I'm daring to engage in this, but....

Many of your points against burkas are kind of reaching, Derf, like the weapon concealment one. At the same time, Max, his points about conducting business with a helmet and face sheild on have merit and deserve consideration.

To that end though, I think it's perfectly reasonable to both allow what should be, IMO, an obvious right to wear such a thing, but to also allow businesses their own perogative to refuse service to those who won't show themselves. Will that lead to abuse in the form of racism? Absolutely. But given the damned if you do, damned if you don't nature of the situation, I think it's reasonable to both allow for both freedom and its consequences.

Cynic, I think you have reasoned this out quite well and with all subjects there are good and bad points to be noted. I think I will let your post act as the final period at the end of my side of this debate.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Cynic: My thoughts exactly.

comfortable
Cool.

I'm gonna stop following this thread.

See you on another one.
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

Jump to Forum: