View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wal-Mart starts selling coffins
Sinny
I wasn't sure where to post this so he it is.

Skeeve feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place, k.

Pat Lynch, of the National Funeral Home Directors Association, told AP news agency: "There's no question in my mind as a funeral director for nearly 40 years that the most critical element is the human contact."

The world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, now plans to hold on to customers even after they die - by selling coffins.

Prices range from a "Mom" or "Dad Remembered" steel coffin for $895 (540), to a bronze model at $2,899.

The retailer is allowing customers to plan ahead by paying for the caskets over 12 months for no interest. They can be dispatched within 48 hours.

Catering for cradle-to-grave needs, Wal-Mart already sells everything from baby wear to engagement rings.

A spokesman for the supermarket giant, Ravi Jariwala, said the new coffin range was "a limited beta test to understand customer response".

The retailer is offering caskets at prices that undercut many funeral homes, say correspondents.

But an industry spokesman said it was not unduly concerned about Wal-Mart's move, because he said the firm could not offer bereaved families the human touch.

Pat Lynch, of the National Funeral Home Directors Association, told AP news agency: "There's no question in my mind as a funeral director for nearly 40 years that the most critical element is the human contact."

http://news.bbc.c...333198.stm

First I'm not sure what the heck to think of this [scratches head]

On the one hand I agree with the last paragraph but then I can see where people would think it's cheaper to buy one at Wal-Mart. I just truthfully think it's tacky to sell and purchase a coffin at Wal-Mart. Sheesh man I can just see the catastrophes waiting to happen with this idea.

Doubting Thomas
They probably get their coffins from China, so you'd better watch out for the lead content. You don't want your corpse getting lead poisoning.

And I wonder if the return policy is the same as with all their other items?
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 10/30/2009 22:45
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
Ha! It doesn't bother me if WallyWorld wants to sell coffins. I plan to be cremated.

Sinny
Doubting Thomas wrote:
They probably get their coffins from China, so you'd better watch out for the lead content. You don't want your corpse getting lead poisoning.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Yeah can't have that happen and not only our corpse but the soil and surrounding trees...oh wait Wal-Mart thought of that and made sure they are steel and bronze caskets...how thoughtful ha ha ha.

I wonder when the pet coffins will be coming out. Does this mean we are getting closer to being allowed to be buried with our pets?

Sinny
catman wrote:
Ha! It doesn't bother me if WallyWorld wants to sell coffins. I plan to be cremated.

I have no will so I plan nothing for now. I keep planning on getting a will and living will drawn up and /or maybe an advanced directive if necessary but never got around to it. So everything I own my siblings will have to fight for if they want it and the State can bury me for all I care.
Edited by Sinny on 10/31/2009 10:56

Bob of QF
catman wrote:

Me as well.

In fact? If ever I make it rich, I plan on holding a "last reading of the will" in an open stadium (yes, a very small one). I will have been cremated prior, of course. I will induce the money-grubbers to this final reading, with a reasonable spread of food....

But, at the proper moment, they will be told to gather onto the bleachers. Then, a helicopter will fly low overhead, and someone "in" on the joke, will dump my ashes from the helicopter....the whirling blades will blow the ashes into everyone's faces...

...as the helicopter departs, and people are wiping ashes off their faces, the announcer will say: "that's it folks. What he did not spend on this elaborate party and the very expensive helicopter fly-over, he gave to charity. There's no money left. Go home."

One last joke....

Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Sinny
Ha ha you are a trip Bob. They would be shocked but soon get over it laughing as long as did leave your millions evenly divided to them.

EDIT: Oh eh if you do have any surviving pets I advise you not to leave them to the people you pull the prank on. Wink
Edited by Sinny on 10/31/2009 17:46

Hypatia
There's just something about Wally World selling caskets that bugs me. In the scheme of selling goods at that kind of store, it just doesn't seem right to me. On the other hand, if they're able to 'stick it' to the funeral industry a little, as far as under selling them, then that isn't so bad. I think the funeral industry is a rip-off.

But I wonder if the traditional funeral-industry folks will try to fight back by say not allowing funerals to be held at funeral homes with caskets purchased outside their facilities, etc., in an attempt to keep Wally World caskets from being used by the consumer who only buys the casket from Wal-Mart, but has the rest of the funeral needs taken care of else where.

I'm planning to go to medical school when I die. Finally. Hell, if you can't make it in when you're alive, then go when you die! lol. I've donated my body to a university medical college for study. There are, of course, certain situations that could prevent that from occurring, even though I've arranged it - if I die in an accident, unexpectedly - in any way that requires an autopsy, then they wouldn't be able to accept my body. Or, if I changed my mind before death. If a body has certain diseases, they won't accept it. But, otherwise, it's all set up. They'll have my body for about a year (they transport it for free), and when they're through, they'll cremate me for free and return my ashes to whomever I've designated, for free. My ashes are to be scattered after that.

I wanted to try to be of some use after I'm gone - this will be a little more useful than just donating my organs, and at the same time I get to really stick it to the funeral industry. Yeah, I know, it's a business, etc., but I don't want them to have my money, and I don't want a bunch of money spent on funeral expenses. If there is a small, happy memorial service held for me, that would be fitting enough. I may pre-choose some music I like. Smile

DT wrote:

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Bob wrote:
Me as well.

In fact? If ever I make it rich, I plan on holding a "last reading of the will" in an open stadium (yes, a very small one). I will have been cremated prior, of course. I will induce the money-grubbers to this final reading, with a reasonable spread of food....

But, at the proper moment, they will be told to gather onto the bleachers. Then, a helicopter will fly low overhead, and someone "in" on the joke, will dump my ashes from the helicopter....the whirling blades will blow the ashes into everyone's faces...

...as the helicopter departs, and people are wiping ashes off their faces, the announcer will say: "that's it folks. What he did not spend on this elaborate party and the very expensive helicopter fly-over, he gave to charity. There's no money left. Go home."

One last joke....

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. That is hilarious. I may reconsider 'small and dignified' and come up with something entirely different!

Theory_Execution
Im going to be burried in an empty tomb. I say empty because I wont really be burried there at all, I will have my corpse removed under the cover of darkness and then for millenia to come my empty tomb will be the greatest evidence that I actually rose from the dead, had a guy called Thomas poke my holes and returned to sit at the right hand of Crishnan Guru-Murphy.
Edited by Theory_Execution on 11/03/2009 08:07

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
Im going to be burried in an empty tomb. I say empty because I wont really be burried there at all, I will have my corpse removed under the cover of darkness and then for millenia to come my empty tomb will be the greatest evidence that I actually rose from the dead, had a guy called Thomas poke my holes and returned to sit at the right hand of Crishnan Guru-Murphy.

Oooh! I like it!

You ought to have an empty coffin buried-- first, put in a weighted dummy, to give the bedding some semblance of a body having been laid there.....

That's rich. Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Theory_Execution wrote:

Oooh! I like it!

You ought to have an empty coffin buried-- first, put in a weighted dummy, to give the bedding some semblance of a body having been laid there.....

That's rich. Grin

Don't forget the shroud... Smile

catman
Hahahaha! Good one, Hypatia!Grin

Hypatia
Smile The Shroud of T_E.

Jump to Forum: