View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Governor of Texas and Prayer
catman
Governor "Goodhair" Perry of Texas released a statement addressed to the victims of the Fort Hood massacre, in which he stated that "24 million Texans are praying for you". While I wish the unlucky victims all good fortune, I'm appalled by being lumped in with those who pray.

The overuse of the word "heroes" also bothers me more than a little. They were victims, not heroes. They didn't get a chance to be heroes. The word has ceased to have any real meaning except as a mark of offical approval. Not every police officer or soldier is a hero simply because they are in uniform. I don't mean to seem unpatriotic or seditious, but I'm tired of it. It cheapens the language.

comfortable
Sadly, you'll either have to get used to it or stop reading mass media altogether.

The sheeple cannot be expected to think. Public pronouncements are aimed directly at sheeple.

I wonder if competent people could somehow establish a parallel universe of mass media.?

After all, thoughtful people need to buy soap and new cars too... Just think - thoughtful people, by and large, probably have higher income on average than Joe Sixpack.
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

catman
Oh, I know. I was just venting. Even a great mind like mine has to do that once in a while. (!) I don't appreciate the Gov taking it upon himself to speak for me.

I simply get so tired of it all: the hyperbole and the ever-increasing number of commercials. Television is becoming unendurable.
Edited by catman on 11/08/2009 15:23

derF
Speaking of overused words. It seems like any untoward event that occurs must be a tragedy anymore. I don't mean to say that the murderous event that occurred at Fort Hood. But when a large limb breaks off of a tree and destroys the childrens swing set that is NOT a tragedy. Sprained ankles are not a tragedy. Drunken old uncle Wilbur slipping in the shower and near knocking himself senseless (at least more senseless that he probably already was) is NOT a tragedy. Come on some of you people get a thesaurus. I have come to the opinion that the over use of the word tragedy is a ..... tragedy.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

comfortable
derF wrote:
Come on some of you people get a thesaurus. I have come to the opinion that the over use of the word tragedy is a ..... tragedy.

I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate !

Edited by comfortable on 11/09/2009 01:02

Cynic
catman wrote:
Governor "Goodhair" Perry of Texas released a statement addressed to the victims of the Fort Hood massacre, in which he stated that "24 million Texans are praying for you". While I wish the unlucky victims all good fortune, I'm appalled by being lumped in with those who pray.

Not being familar with Texas beyond the general sterotypes and gripes I hear about, and the couple of months I spend in San Antonio (on a base, so it doesn't count), my mind went in an entirely different direction. When I first read this, rather than seeing it as representing everyone as praying, I thought the number he stated was the number of declared religious people in Texas and was excluding non-religious people from the well-wishing. I have no idea why I read it that way -- doesn't make much sense. Just thought it was strange that I did.

Raises the question of which would have been more insulting though.

Doubting Thomas
I agree totally, Catman, that the words "hero" and "miracle" are overused in today's media to the point of being totally meaningless. The two words have been watered down so much they don't mean what they really mean. Someone getting gunned down by a psychopath is not a "hero," he is a victim, as you correctly state. The person who stops the psychopath by shooting back is a hero. And it's not a "miracle" that more people weren't killed.

Also, heroism isn't lasting. Someone may have performed heroic acts, say in a war, but 20 years later they might be an alcoholic wife beating deadbeat. Does this still make him a hero? Not to me. Once, yes; currently, no.

I served in the military, but don't consider myself a hero just because I did. I didn't serve in any wars, I just put in my time to the best of my ability and got out. I have also worked in law enforcement. I saved a child's life by giving CPR instructions over 911. Am I a hero? Then, perhaps, but I don't feel like it now. That was probably about 13 years ago. Every so often I think about it and feel good, but I would be uncomfortable being called a hero for it now.

And while I'm on the subject, I am so sick & tired of hearing about how someone surviving this or that is a "miracle." A miracle is an event which contravenes the known laws of science, in other words, an event which couldn't happen by known means. Someone surviving a car crash does not appear so miraculous when you look at all the safety engineering that goes into manufacturing automobiles, or the statistics of auto crash survival. Someone surviving a tornado is not a miracle when they had brains enough to get into the basement or storm shelter.

But it takes a special sort of Christian who can have their house totally destroyed by a tornado, or have their car totalled and spend months in intensive care to give thanks to God for the "miracle" of not being killed.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
Cynic: No, the Gov was simply bloviating, appealing to his supporters by making the unwarranted assumption that all Texans are believers in the efficacy of prayer. Certainly I feel sorrow for those who were killed at Fort Hood, but I see no point in wasting my time with prayer.

DT: Absolutely right. There are entirely too many of that"special sort" of Christian. Where was their god when their house was being destroyed? Another trial like those of the mythical Job, I suppose, inflicted upon the faithful. One might think they might be better off not believing.
Edited by catman on 11/09/2009 14:19

comfortable
Doubting Thomas wrote:
And while I'm on the subject, I am so sick & tired of hearing about how someone surviving this or that is a "miracle." A miracle is an event which contravenes the known laws of science, in other words, an event which couldn't happen by known means. Someone surviving a car crash does not appear so miraculous when you look at all the safety engineering that goes into manufacturing automobiles, or the statistics of auto crash survival. Someone surviving a tornado is not a miracle when they had brains enough to get into the basement or storm shelter.

But it takes a special sort of Christian who can have their house totally destroyed by a tornado, or have their car totalled and spend months in intensive care to give thanks to God for the "miracle" of not being killed.

Nahhhhhh....
It's a typical Xtian.
In other words, an arrogant Xtian.
When the TV interviewer receives the typical answer from a survivor of a plane crash/fire - the arrogant believer always gives thanks to god or jesus for the miracle of their own personal survival. It's a supremely arrogant stance, because it demands that the others who died were less worthy somehow.

(It's also supremely hypocritical to claim to know one is destined for eternal bliss, while at the same time being glad to have escaped delivery unto that bliss.)
Wink

catman
comfortable: I don't think many Christians have ever thought it through that far. After all, they can always pull the 'his ways are not like ours' and ' it isn't possible to know the mind of God' sham. But you're right, when you come right down to it, they are all arrogant. It's hard not to be when you consider yourself the 'crown of Creation', the creature that your god intended the enitire universe to submit to.

Still, some are unconsciously (or perhaps subconsciously) arrogant, while others are insufferably arrogant.
Edited by catman on 11/10/2009 15:16

Jump to Forum: