View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
What is your opinion, is the major motive behind world events?
Sex Sex 0%[0 Votes]
Money Money 0%[0 Votes]
Money in order to obtain sex Money in order to obtain sex 0%[0 Votes]
Power Power 50%[1 Vote]
Power to obtain money Power to obtain money 0%[0 Votes]
Power to obtain sex Power to obtain sex 0%[0 Votes]
Other (please explain) Other (please explain) 50%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 2
 Print Thread
cerebral sex workers in history
comfortable
Fascinating article in the BBC this morning.

Don't read it unless you are in the mood for serious contemplation of the relationships between women and men and how that might play out for us all (or, at a personal level, how it might affect your viewpoint).

Fascinating.
http://news.bbc.c...370730.stm

For several years, the true identity of Belle de Jour, author of a blog called Diary of a London Call Girl, had been a mystery. Journalists, always excited by mysteries, strove to find out who she really was. Was she really a woman at all?

Experienced male journalists who could do sentences with three clauses in them speculated that she might be a male journalist because of her unusual literary skills.

When Belle de Jour's daintily scurrilous blog was collected into a hit book, several critics noted that she had a command of language comparable to that of Martin Amis. Perhaps Belle de Jour was really Salman Rushdie. Surely no mere female could concoct a diary so exactly fulfilling male fantasies.

Another 19th Century courtesan, Lola Montez, slept her way so close to the very top that Ludwig I of Bavaria was shaken on his throne. Lizst was on her list, too. She had a ball from start to finish. It isn't easy to think of a woman like that slogging away at an honest job.

But that's where the catch comes in - just at that point where men get sentimental on a woman's behalf.

Edited by comfortable on 11/22/2009 13:32
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

catman
I voted for "Other", although I could have just as easily voted for "Money" or "Power". One accompanies the other, and sex accompanies either. Money=Power, and Power=Money.

Notice that I said sex, not romance. The article implies that men who are romantic are chasing a will o' the wisp, at least in relation to 'courtesans', which is most likely true (I've never known a 'courtesan'). In my experience, romance gets a relationship going, but friendship and compatibility are more important in the long run. If the friendship ends, the rest doesn't matter.

It all reminds me of one of my favorite comments:

Women marry men expecting to change them, but they can't.
Men marry women expecting them to stay the same, but they don't.

Something like that, anyway. I never did get it right.
Edited by catman on 11/22/2009 13:51

comfortable
Agreed.

Fascinating what people will do in order to scratch certain itches.

If power gets you women, or power gets you money or things...what is it that drives congressmen and dictators? I think it's power/money. Money is universal in that once you have it, you can scratch any itch.

Darwin teaches us that our inherited 'drives' often result in behaviors that don't serve the needs of our DNA (to be successful at surviving to reproduce).

I watch my two dogs compete for scraps of steak, noting their selfishness (in order to obtain the most nutrition for themselves in an environment where nutrition is a limited resource. It's in their DNA program), and then generalize that drive to competition in general, which ultimately results in some humans accumulating waaaaaaaay more than they could ever possibly use. Once you have more 'stuff' than all others you are competing with, accumulating yet more serves no other purpose than to scratch the competitive itch.
Edited by comfortable on 11/22/2009 15:01
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

Jump to Forum: