View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Big Religion Comparison Chart
Hypatia
Hmmm, wasn't sure whether this forum or the 'Lounge' would be the most appropriate place for this post, but I suppose which whatever in this case - either/or probably.

Though not comprehensive, this is kind of a cool, easy to use chart that compares a lot of religions and some aspects of each of them.

http://www.religi..._chart.htm
 
Sinny
I'll have to come back to this later Patia the chart is taking a while longer to load than I thought it would.
 
catman
Pretty interesting. Thanks.
 
seeker
Interesting find 'Patia.
 
Bob of QF
Cool...that's going into my "interesting notes" bookmarks
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
Yay. Glad it's of some interest and use.
 
Doubting Thomas
It is interesting, though I kind of hate to see atheism included on a religion chart. It just gives fuel to Christians' belief that atheism is a religion.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
catman
DT, that occured to me too. Why not include animism rather than atheism?
 
Hypatia
I thought pretty much the same thing, D_T, when I saw that atheism had been included on the list.

Perhaps it was made by a thiest, one who typically thinks 'atheism' is a religion (I don't recall now reading about who made the list).
 
Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
It is interesting, though I kind of hate to see atheism included on a religion chart. It just gives fuel to Christians' belief that atheism is a religion.


Back in 2005, I would not have objected.

And if asked, I would have politely replied, "I'm an agnostic, not an atheist".

This is largely because I had bought into the strawman definition of "atheist" one who believes in "no god".

Since I've been in communication with people who self-identify with atheism?

I now realize that's a false notion: I've yet to meet someone who believes 100%, no god. Hell, even Dawkins says "probabily no god".

I've come to realize the basis for skepticism is just that: a recognition of the need for evidence-based decision making. Including one's life-philosophy.

I now see atheism as a special case of skepticism: one pertaining to all things classified as supernatural.

So, I would agree, it has no place in the list.

Oh well, I'm not going to let one flaw spoil the soup.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
I agree, very few atheists I've known or encountered are willing to decide or declare that there 'is no god', but rather that we can conclude and deduce, by way of reasoning and logic, and what evidence does exist around us, that there most likely isn't a god.

And I know I'm sorta preaching to the choir here, but many of us also realize that even if there is a god, or any gods, what need and use is there for following and worshiping them, especially blindly. Why would we need, or desire, to experience an afterlife as perceived by so many?

Anyway, while I'd prefer theists stop continuing to view atheism as a religion, because it isn't and they know it, like you Bob, I'm not going to let it detract from anything we can derive some usefulness out of.
Edited by Hypatia on 12/11/2009 17:04
 
derF
Well Patia I will be one you have encountered who has decided to declare without a shadow of doubt that the 'is no god'. There is a huge universe out there with power beyond imagination but it is not controlled by any sort of intelligent entity.
Edited by derF on 12/12/2009 00:43
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Well Patia I will be one you have encountered who has decided to declare without a shadow of doubt that the 'is no god'. There is a huge universe out there with power beyond imagination but it is not controlled by any sort of intelligent entity.


Fair enough.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
derF wrote:
Well Patia I will be one you have encountered who has decided to declare without a shadow of doubt that the 'is no god'. There is a huge universe out there with power beyond imagination but it is not controlled by any sort of intelligent entity.


I can assert that personally, to me, there is no god. But I think to make the claim, across the board, in the way theists assert there is a god, isn't 'correct' (for lack of a better word at the moment), since none of us can prove to the other, or any one else, our claim. However, I contend there is more evidence to support the claim that there is no god, and none of it is based on 'faith'.

When it comes to other people, and all of them considered, that is the best I can do at this point in time. It is 'good enough' for me. Smile
 
catman
To me, asserting that there is a god is nonsensical, along the same lines as asserting that there is an Earth-sized planet made of solid iridium in the Triangulum Galaxy. No one can prove it isn't there, but...
 
Doubting Thomas
I say that there is no god with the same certainty that I say there is no Bigfoot and no Loch Ness Monster. No solid, factual, indisputable evidence for any of them has ever been shown, but there has been plenty of fake and hoax evidence for all three.

Now there actually may be such creatures out there, but there is plenty of evidence to show that they were more likely made up by man's active imagination than really existed. It's kind of like saying that you can't say that there are no fire-breathing dragons when nobody's ever actually seen one, nobody's ever captured one, and no fossil evidence for them exists. The only place they exist is in lore and people's imaginations. Funny how we're not supposed to believe in dragons, fairies, and elves because they're mythical creatures, but people find it perfectly acceptable to (and totally unacceptable not to) believe in a god they've never seen and have only read about in a book.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 12/14/2009 15:24
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Sinny
derF wrote:
Well Patia I will be one you have encountered who has decided to declare without a shadow of doubt that the 'is no god'. There is a huge universe out there with power beyond imagination but it is not controlled by any sort of intelligent entity.


Same here DerF Wink

I truthfully don't consider Dawkins a hard atheist anymore. He's more like an agnostic to me because he doesn't believe in a god but does believe it could be possible until proven otherwise. That's how I think he is now. I know almost anything is possible but a god the way humans write it to be, that doesn't have any control over what happens on earth, peoples lives, cosmos just doesn't seem possible, plausible or probable. Deity's are just people claiming (ed) to be more than human and nothing more. No one has proven any of the religious faiths , supernatural claims to be true and claiming a god died for everyone only means on one else thought it up before.....That doesn't make it true.
 
Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I say that there is no god with the same certainty that I say there is no Bigfoot and no Loch Ness Monster. No solid, factual, indisputable evidence for any of them has ever been shown, but there has been plenty of fake and hoax evidence for all three.

Now there actually may be such creatures out there, but there is plenty of evidence to show that they were more likely made up by man's active imagination than really existed. It's kind of like saying that you can't say that there are no fire-breathing dragons when nobody's ever actually seen one, nobody's ever captured one, and no fossil evidence for them exists. The only place they exist is in lore and people's imaginations. Funny how we're not supposed to believe in dragons, fairies, and elves because they're mythical creatures, but people find it perfectly acceptable to (and totally unacceptable not to) believe in a god they've never seen and have only read about in a book.


Well said, DT, well said.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I say that there is no god with the same certainty that I say there is no Bigfoot and no Loch Ness Monster. No solid, factual, indisputable evidence for any of them has ever been shown, but there has been plenty of fake and hoax evidence for all three.

Now there actually may be such creatures out there, but there is plenty of evidence to show that they were more likely made up by man's active imagination than really existed. It's kind of like saying that you can't say that there are no fire-breathing dragons when nobody's ever actually seen one, nobody's ever captured one, and no fossil evidence for them exists. The only place they exist is in lore and people's imaginations. Funny how we're not supposed to believe in dragons, fairies, and elves because they're mythical creatures, but people find it perfectly acceptable to (and totally unacceptable not to) believe in a god they've never seen and have only read about in a book.


Very good point, excellent reasoning and logic and analogies. With that, I am changing my stance on not being able to claim outside myself that 'there is no god'.

There are no gods or fire breathing dragons! Heh, except those made up in the minds of humans. =)
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
No Freedom from religion The Lounge 1 03/24/2015 09:36
Fear in dropping ur religion The Rant Room 4 11/05/2014 06:16
Me and Religion Funny Zone 3 12/09/2013 21:04
Politics Religion and Stupidity The Rant Room 9 10/01/2012 08:33
Religion Class Essay 5 The Lounge 17 04/04/2012 23:31