View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
For the Grammar Nazis among us
derF
My wife and I are avid readers and read hundreds of books per year between us. She is also a former editor for a company that makes text books. Every author has his/her own style and uses punctuation differently, sometimes, to achieve the same ends. My only knock on people who tend to be 'careless' in their spelling and punctuation is when it makes it unclear exactly what they are trying to say .

;dancesing;
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF wrote: My only knock on people who tend to be 'careless' in their spelling and punctuation is when it makes it unclear exactly what they are trying to say.

I agree. It becomes frustrating then. Do you remember 'argo'? He was 'careless', but I could always understand what he was trying to say. I wonder what became of him.

I can't go to sleep easily unless I read first. I love to read.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I must say that grammatical & spelling errors do annoy me, but only if there are a lot of them which tends to insinuate that the person making the errors is of low intelligence or poorly educated. Sometimes this is true, sometimes not.

My mother-in-law, who I do get along with quite well, has probably the worst grammar of anyone I know at the moment. For instance, once we were sitting on the patio & she said, "How's come those flowers don't got no dirt around them?" I could hear dozens of dead English teachers rolling over in their graves...

Hypatia
It just drives me bat shit to hear someone say something like, 'I seen' - 'I seen' this, or 'I seen' that.

GAH!! :mad:

;5sigh;

catman
Aside from the widespread misuse of apostrophes, one of the errors that makes me want to retch is the confusion of 'there' and 'their'. I have an acquaintance who sends emails occasionally who just doesn't get it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Yes, 'they're', 'there' and 'their' and 'to', 'too' and 'two'.

There's a woman on another forum I used to frequent, but don't go to much anymore, who consistently got those wrong, yet she'd brag and brag about having two degrees - in education no less. That just grated my nerves to no end. I never said anything to her because she'd get so upset when anyone on the forums corrected anyone on spelling and grammar (although they still did it anyway), but boy, I sure did want to, many times. She would have had a melt down though, and it wasn't worth it.

For people who have learning disorders, or had a tough time in school, etc., that's one thing, but otherwise those are part of the basics.

I do screw up 'its' and 'it's' a lot, for some reason. Can't keep 'em straight in me head. I know the difference, but I get backwards with them.

catman
Yeah, the guy I was referring to can't differentiate between to/too either, although maybe 'two' is different enough for him.

I'm surprised that its/it's give you trouble. Oh, well, I have a bad habit of losing my billfold and car keys, so I can't point and laugh.Cry

General-Pryce
I have trouble with its and it's as well. Usually on forums, I'm typing so quickly to get a point across without losing my train of thought that I make silly little mistakes. But its and it's do generally get me for some unknown reason!

neilmarr
I was one of the first members of *The Brights* movement, but I'm afraid I feel it's all become a little juvenile.

In their regular newsletter this morning, I got this item: I process all emails from Brights, and I also read all the registration comments from new Brights. A great many of these will include some comment about atheism. Strange - I can't help but take note of how often the term is misspelled, as in "I am/was an athiest."

Not very brite, is it.

Neil

catman
Agreed. I replied to their newsletter with a complaint concerning the idiot who they thought was worth quoting in the newsletter, who said, "Once you've met one atheist, you've met them all". :rol: That rather pissed me off.

neilmarr
Go through today's issue, Cat, and you'll find it littered with Christian-style bad grammar. The organisation -- in spite of notable membership including Dennett, Dawkins and Haris -- seems to be run now with the mind-set of a teenage fan club. Neil

Bob of QF
I'm still a member, but don't participate anymore. I don't even remember my login--(although it's stored somewhere or other on my pocket pc).

When I first found it, I liked it, but it quickly seemed to be a "pat each other on the head in mutual admiration" club more than anything else... :wink:
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
Not to offend anyone, but I never thought much of "The Brights". Very pretentious sounding to my ears.

I think I may have actually groaned out loud when I read the first news article about it.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
Psssttt ... know that section on cults? Why doesn't one of the mods slip in and put the possessive apostrophies in Christ's, Mohammed's and Abraham's before some smart-ass theist grammar nazi picks us up on it? Cheers. Neil

willie
seeker wrote:
Personally I think of spelling as a flexible medium, a canvas of sorts in which to express one's innermost thoughts through all manner of Freudian slip.
Typo. You put 'thoughts' when I think you meant thighs.... innermost thighs.
Edited by willie on 09/10/2008 16:36

Photon
I think "express" was meant to be "expose", as well.

Hypatia
Ahhh. Now the place is 'home'.

:lol:

Skeeve
I wanna hear more about the flexible thighs, and while crossdressing isn't my thing, the Freudian slip sounds like some damn seksay lingerie

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Freudian slip

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/freudianslip.jpg

Pfft

catman
That reminds me of Laugh-In. Sock it to me!Grin

Jump to Forum: