View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Pseudo-Science
 Print Thread
Skeptics Plan Mass Homeopathic 'Overdose'
Hypatia
[url]http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/homoeopathy-sceptics-plan-mass-overdose-1875453.html[/url]

[quote]In what is being billed as "rationalism's Kool-Aid moment", a mass "overdose" is being planned next week in protest at the marketing of homoeopathic medicines.

More than 300 people who style themselves as "homoeopathy sceptics" will each swallow an entire bottle of homoeopathic pills in protest at the continued marketing of homoeopathic medicines by Boots, the high street chemist chain.

The protest is due to take place at 10.23am on Saturday 30 January. It is organised by the "10.23 Group", who take their name from Avogadro's constant, which they claim proves that homoeopathy cannot work.

Avogadro's constant

catman
Hypatia wrote:The British Homeopathic Association claims that heightened public awareness of the dangers of chemicals in the food chain, growing resistance to antibiotics through over-use, and concerns about the side effects of conventional drugs, are contributing to a rethink about the way we live and how we seek to regain health.

Those are all worthy concerns (especially resistance to antibiotics which are overprescribed), but they don't support the absurd pseudo-science of homeopathy. The 'memory of the substance' claim is ridiculous. Perhaps there should be a Church of Homeopathy.

I hope the inert ingredients (actually all there are) contained in the homeopathic preparations don't make anyone sick, being ingested in such quantities. Who knows, there might even be an active molecule or two.
Edited by catman on 01/22/2010 15:50
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Yes, that particular paragraph stood out to me too. It means we need to address those particular issues, for what they are, by doing what we can to keep as many chemicals as possible from polluting the food chain, not over-relying on anti-biotics (we've known this stuff for a long time now), discontinuing the practice of over prescribing prescription drugs, etc.

But it certainly doesn't mean there's any logical reason for us to resort to superstition and pseudo-science as an 'alternative', rather than making the effort to correct the real problems.

Jump to Forum: