View Thread

Print Thread
U.S. Baptists charged with kidnapping in Haiti
Doubting Thomas
[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_americans_detained[/url]

Apparently they took it upon themselves to try to remove several children from the country without any paperwork or authorization.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
[url]http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/01/2806972.htm[/url]

This infuriates me beyond belief. Apparently at least some of these children still have parents or other family members alive.

I think most people lie to some degree, sometimes. But I am flat out calling the people in this church LIARS. Liars, liars, liars. I don't believe for one second they didn't know about the proper protocol, or paperwork, or truly thought these kids had no family members alive and accounted for after the quake.

I think they thought they could get away with stealing these kids and turning them into little robot christians, and who knows what else. No doubt they would have adopted them out - for a tidy little fee, or even prostituted them.

I have no delusions that any real legal justice will be carried out in this case, but maybe since they committed the crime in another country there will be some semblance of justice.

I'm so sick and tired of religious people thinking they can do whatever they damn well please because of their beliefs I could scream.

Kowboy
Apparently the Hatian parents sent their children:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100204/NEWS07/2040417/Haitian-parents-say-they-sent-kids-with-Baptists

Kowboy

catman
From what I heard on the national news, the Baptists are in deep doodoo. Even if they did have the connivance of the parents, they were in effect trying to smuggle the kids out of the country without papers. I'm not sure the truth will ever be known.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Regardless of whether the parents knew their kids were being taken by these goddies I have no doubt the parents thought their kids would be 'getting' one thing (and would be seeing their kids again) while the baptists had something else entirely in mind for them.

I have no doubt there was lying and deception going on on the part of the baptists. They knew what they were doing and the way they were doing it was WRONG.

LIARS, I tell you.

Hypatia
[url]http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/02/04/ac.penhaul.americans.charged.cnn?hpt=T2[/url]

If it's true that the members of this unofficial missionary were 'trolling' for children from ages newborn through 10, then that seems fishy to me.

catman
It gets curioser and curioser, doesn't it? So what the fuck WERE they trying to do? I just don't understand why they would take such a chance to do it. Whatever it was!
Edited by catman on 02/06/2010 02:47
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
with or without permission from parents who never saw proof of the real intentions as to where their children would eventually end up living they still need proper documentation proving who they are. Any group of pedophiles could claim to be the clergy, a missionary.

The parents are in a desperate situation so I can't blame them for believing or wanting to believe their children would get the help and care they need until the parents get themselves a place to live to provide for their children. It still doesn't excuse what they attempted to do without going through proper channels, attaining proper documentation proving who what organization you are from and if your organization is legitimate.

The volunteers may be somewhat innocent in that they believed it was legal to go there and attempt to take the children but the sob's in charge aren't even close to innocent they know better. Clergymen know htey need proper documentation not just permission from parents. They are responsible for the actions of the volunteers. If the volunteers said they were with a certain organization/missionary then that organization's leaders are responsible to have the proper documentation to prevent any accusations of child kidnapping, molestation, rape, trafficking, etc.

Anyone could claim to be from such and such missionary. I feared this would happen to the children of Katrina. I hope heads roll on this one.

Sinny
Sinny wrote:
with or without permission from parents who never saw proof of the real intentions as to where their children would eventually end up living they still need proper documentation proving who they are. Any group of pedophiles could claim to be the clergy, a missionary.

The parents are in a desperate situation so I can't blame them for believing or wanting to believe their children would get the help and care they need until the parents get themselves a place to live to provide for their children. It still doesn't excuse what they attempted to do without going through proper channels, attaining proper documentation proving who what organization you are from and if your organization is legitimate.

The volunteers may be somewhat innocent in that they believed it was legal to go there and attempt to take the children but the sob's in charge aren't even close to innocent they know better. Clergymen know they need proper documentation not just permission from parents. They are responsible for the actions of the volunteers. If the volunteers said they were with a certain organization/missionary then that organization's leaders are responsible to have the proper documentation to prevent any accusations of child kidnapping, molestation, rape, trafficking, etc.

Anyone could claim to be from such and such missionary. I feared this would happen to the children of Katrina. I hope heads roll on this one.

Edit: lets not forget the extortion that isn't so easy to hide when it comes to Americans. that might be the norm in Haiti and easy to hide or ignore but here when it comes to Americans the media jumps all over it. Without documentation it would be all to easy to take them without any proof of how many children they took or that they took any children at all. I suspect the children if they got away with taking them without documentation would have disappeared and never found again.

Hypatia
Laura Silsby, 'leader' of this group, left financial mess in Idaho:

[url]http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/1067267.html[/url]

Jump to Forum: