View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Westboro Baptist Protests Twitter
Hypatia
Seems members of WBC showed up at the offices of Twitter to stage a protest and there were counter-protesters there as well.

This is hilarious.

http://friendlyat...f-twitter/

How to Respond to the Westboro Baptist Church Protest of Twitter

Fred Phelps and his crew descended upon Twitterís offices in San Francisco the other day.

Protestors were ready. And hilarious.

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/WBCprotest1.jpg

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/WBCprotest2.jpg

I love seeing absurd beliefs fought like this. So much better than a shouting match.

And there are plenty more examples of fighting crazy with humor when it comes to the Westboro Baptist Church.

Itís not the sort of thing you could really pull off at a funeral, but I have to believe people treating them as a joke just makes them angrier. So letís keep making that happen whenever we can.

(via The Atheist Experience)

'god hates kittens' [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

derF
I was promised donuts! Damn, you just can't beat that kind of response.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Doubting Thomas
I forget... what's their beef with Twitter?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
I really don't know - no telling. But I'm curious too. I'll try to make time to check that out.

Doubting Thomas
I searched for it and I guess they think that Twitter should be being used to tell everyone that God hates them. Or something. I don't know... they're so crazy it's hard to tell what they're going to protest next.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I'm beginning to think that God is nothing more than an alter ego for the mentally deficient.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
I love the WBC. They had a new site called Obama Beast but it seems to have disappeared. They had an amazing parody of Lady Gaga's Poker Face. They truly are crazy.

Cynic
Hey, GP! How are you? How's the touring business going?

Kowboy
Fred Phelp's son has turned away from his father and apparently joined our ranks. Being raised by a madman is tough reading, but you really get a feel for just how nuts Fred is:

http://natephelps...10801.html

Kowboy

catman
Fred Phelp's som deserves a medal! Cheer

Theory_Execution
Kowboy, why do you end each post signing off with your name?

The Twitter ting was mentioned over here, I think it was more related to the fact that you can pretty much twitter anything, and obviously if the words aren't found in the Bible (e.g. loafer, eguana, Huckleberryfin) it is of the devil and should be hated.

They wanted Twitter to filter the tweets and only leave 'Biblically accurate' statements.

Bob of QF
Kowboy wrote:
Fred Phelp's son has turned away from his father and apparently joined our ranks. Being raised by a madman is tough reading, but you really get a feel for just how nuts Fred is:

http://natephelps...10801.html

Kowboy

Believe it or no-- that link is worth reading carefully (if you already hadn't concluded that yourself Smile )

I was suddenly struck by this paragraph, not far from the end:

Nate Phelps wrote:... In my searching, I have arrived at the opinion that Christianity has an unblemished record of utterly failing every legitimate scientific challenge to itís claims since Galileo peered into the night sky.

What poetry. What a bold statement-- but more importantly, how very observant.

His final paragraph is spot-on as well-- coming as I am a former christian myself? I can identify with it well:

Nate Phelps wrote:Perhaps the words of the Apostle Paul best summarize my attitude about Christianity at this point in my life. In his first letter to the church at Corinth Paul wrote: When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

It is past time for humanity to put away childish things-- the world is a mess, and there is much work to do. We don't have the resources to waste on stuporstitions...
Edited by Bob of QF on 04/02/2010 11:17

Doubting Thomas
I just finished reading an online book about Fred Phelps which I think everyone who has ever heard of him should read. It's located at http://www.addict.... If half the information in that book is correct, Fred is an extremely evil and hateful person.

Kowboy
Theory_Execution wrote:
Kowboy, why do you end each post signing off with your name?

Theory Execution:

It seems like the polite thing to do. I've done it on every board in which I've ever participated and you're the first to ever comment.

Kowboy

Skeeve
I think it's a holdover from boards and newsgroups that usually identified the authors of posts by their email address or IP.

It does seem redundant, but polite. Wink

eta: which is also the reason most boards have a signature line. some sign in their post, others sign in their signature line.
Edited by Skeeve on 04/03/2010 20:43

Theory_Execution
Very strange. I find it odd because if anyone wants to know who posted the comment, they can just look and inch or two to the left.

But, we each have our own posting styles I suppose. I have only been posting online for the last four or five years, and only ever on incarnations of this here atheist website and one christian website which I am now banned from.

Kowboy
Theory_Execution wrote:
Very strange. I find it odd because if anyone wants to know who posted the comment, they can just look and inch or two to the left.

But, we each have our own posting styles I suppose. I have only been posting online for the last four or five years, and only ever on incarnations of this here atheist website and one christian website which I am now banned from.

Theroy Execution:

Which christian site were you banned from? We could have a contest. We'll all go there and sign up and see how long it takes to get banned.

Kowboy

Skeeve
I've been getting my laughs from Rapture Ready and Christian Forums.

I think I like Rapture Ready better.

Please hurry and take us home, Sweet Jesus!

Theory_Execution
It was UKChristianWeb Forums. From the outset I explained exactly why I was there, what I would talk about and why I was doing so.

It would get to the point where they wanted to agree to disagree on points of objective reality. I was not willing to do that so was called closed minded.

I had to repeatedly explain what the Big Bang theory describes, people still dont seem to get it - it doesnt help that good physicists like Brian Cox keep making flase statements too.

General-Pryce
Cynic wrote:
Hey, GP! How are you? How's the touring business going?

Hi. I'm not too bad. the tours are running as private bookings at the moment, gonna see how things go in summer and decide whether to make them daily or not.

Jump to Forum: