View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Vets. of Civil Rights Movement-Literacy Test
catman
Incedible. Tancredo is a total scumbag. I've seen his act, and it sickens me.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
What an obviously total idiot!
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Doubting Thomas
And I'm sure the teabaggers cheered him on. Why don't they just come out and try to deny blacks the right to vote?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
If this practice were ever re-implemented I have no doubt those American citizens who are viewed by some to be 'un-American', those who list 'atheist' or 'non-religious' on their applications, would also be discriminated against.
Edited by Hypatia on 02/09/2010 00:04

JohnH
A suggestion, look at tonight's Rachel Maddow's show, 2-8-10. The opening segment is about literacy tests for voters. I failed and I would suggest you will too.
Edited by JohnH on 02/09/2010 00:20

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:
A suggestion, look at tonight's Rachel Maddow's show, 2-8-10. The opening segment is about literacy tests for voters. I failed and I would suggest you will too.

I wonder which version they were using. I'd read that there were several versions pre-Federal Voting Rights Act and that the race of the person taking the test was frequently used to determine which version they were given. An easier version for whites was often used while one of the hardest versions were often used for blacks or Hispanics.

I imagine there'd be just one version today, to avoid looking as if anyone was discriminating.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/292.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

catman
I watched the Rachel Maddow Show (I often do anyway). I couldn't answer any of the questions. That was obviously the whole idea.
Edited by catman on 02/12/2010 15:26
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

kacir
http://www.crmvet...itques.htm
This is some info on literacy tests.
At first, when I heard literacy test, that sounds like a good idea. But it is a swindle.

BTW the people who created the literacy test must be in charge of creating all government forms today. And they must do some work on side for the health insurance corporations as well.

Cynic
catman wrote:
I watched the Rachel Maddow Sow

Dang, Catman, that's pretty harsh! Grin

A literacy test is ridiculous. Understatement, no doubt.

Skeeve
Paging Dr. Freud. Paging Dr. Freud. Dr. Freud you're needed in the Rant Room. Pfft
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Cynic: Thanks for catching the typo. I fixed it! Rachel Maddow is far from a 'sow'.

Tancredo is such an idiot. His comments about how those who voted for Obama need to learn civics and take literacy tests are completely absurd. And that in front of a crowd of tea partiers!

Jump to Forum: