View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oregon Parents Guilty in Faith-Healing Death
Hypatia
This is a victory, in a sense, at least. And a rant to go along with it.

This death could so easily have been prevented. But because the dead child's father's family supposedly never used doctors and always relied on faith instead (I wonder, were they all born at home - no one used a doctor or hospital for childbirth even??) their kid ended up dying from something that could have been treated.

http://pewforum.o...wsID=19608

Ore. parents guilty in son's faith-healing death

by Steven Mayes
Religion News Service

(RNS) Jurors sent a clear signal Tuesday (Feb. 2) that parents who rely solely on faith healing to treat their children face prison if a child dies.

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley were found guilty of criminally negligent homicide in the death of their 16-year-old son, Neil, who died in June 2008 of complications from an undiagnosed congenital urinary blockage.

His parents attempted to heal him with prayer, anointing with oil and laying on of hands.

They are the first members of Oregon City's Followers of Christ church to be convicted of homicide in the congregation's long history of children dying from treatable medical conditions.

"This is a signal to the religious community that they should be on notice that their activities will be scrutinized," said Steven K. Green, director of Willamette University's Center for Religion and Democracy.

Prosecutor Greg Horner asked that the Beagleys immediately be taken in to custody. Clackamas County Presiding Judge Steven L. Maurer denied the request, saying the Beagleys were not a flight risk or threat to the community.

Friends and family reacted to the 10-2 verdicts with stunned silence. Marci Beagley hugged her mother in the courthouse lobby as both women wept. Other family members quietly stood by.

The Beagleys will be sentenced Feb. 18. The maximum penalty for criminally negligent homicide is 10 years, but the Beagleys likely will receive no more than 18 months in prison and could be sentenced to probation.

Steve Lindsey, who represented Marci Beagley, said he would recommend a "non-jail sentence" that would include probation and possibly other conditions, such as counseling, supervised medical care for the Beagleys' 16-year-old daughter, Kathryn, and cooperating with state child-welfare investigators. Lindsey said such a sentence could educate the Followers about their legal responsibilities as parents.

This is the second faith-healing death that has landed the Beagleys' extended family in court. Last summer, a jury found the couple's daughter, Raylene Worthington, not guilty of manslaughter in the faith-healing death of her 15-month-old daughter, Ava. Her husband, Carl Worthington, was convicted on a lesser charge.

As the verdict was read and the jury was polled on Tuesday, Marci Beagley and a few of the jurors cried. The strain of the nine-day trial was apparent. All but one of the jurors declined to speak with reporters.

"None of us thought they were evil," said juror Robert Zegar. "They just made a wrong decision."

Rita Swan, president of Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty, an Iowa-based advocacy group, hailed the conviction as a victory for Oregon children.

"I know the parents are broken-hearted," said Swan, who previously lobbied Oregon legislators to limit legal protection for parents involved in faith-healing deaths. "But love and good intentions are not all it takes to be a good parent."

Jurors were asked to consider whether the Beagleys' actions were "a gross deviation" from what a reasonable person would have done in a similar situation.

Defense attorneys downplayed the religious aspects of the case while prosecutors said the law, faith and parental duties were inseparably bound.

Neil Beagley "grew up in a world where medicine is weakness, faith is strength," prosecutor Steven Mygrant told jurors.

Neil embraced the church's belief that seeking medical care shows a lack of faith. None of his relatives used doctors. And Neil was unable to make an informed health-care decision because he didn't know he was on the verge of death, prosecutors said.

"For me, this case was not about faith healing and it was not a referendum on the church," said Jeffrey Beagley's lawyer, Wayne Mackeson. "It was about two parents who loved their son and did not know how sick he was."

Bold and italic emphasis mine.

The defense attorneys downplayed the religious aspects of the case.

The defense attorneys downplayed the religious aspects of the case.

Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong - but if it weren't for the religious beliefs and faith - faith based on religion - this wouldn't have happened. I could hardly believe what I was reading when I read that sentence.

And a few of the jurors cried. Just a little mistake, a little 'bad parenting' that can be corrected now. Oh wait. No, it can't be. Why is it I don't think they meant the jurors were crying for the dead kid?? But instead were crying because they 'had' to find the parents guilty? [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. "We're so sorry, but we have to do the right thing. Otherwise it could look kinda bad. Because of the law, you know?"

And this isn't the first kid within this family to have died from lack of medical attention, while the idiots were waiting for gawd to kick in and take over!!!! I swear, my heart is about to come out of my fucking chest right now.

I do not, for one second, believe these people were unable to make an informed health-care decision. They wanted to let gawd do it - they would not interfere because they refused to show a lack of faith.

And the jurors cried.

For the wrong people.
Edited by Hypatia on 02/11/2010 02:40

seeker
I'm resigned to the fact that the vast majority of the human race is not entirely sane.

Kowboy
seeker wrote:
I'm resigned to the fact that the vast majority of the human race is not entirely sane.

seeker:

I second your motion.

Kowboy

Doubting Thomas
Here's the part that got me:

They are the first members of Oregon City's Followers of Christ church to be convicted of homicide in the congregation's long history of children dying from treatable medical conditions.

It took them this long to decide to actually prosecute someone for letting their child die?

And I don't mean to sound cruel or heartless, particularly when these people's children are involved, but it sounds like Darwinism at work.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

kacir
Yea the parents are stupid. However as a result the religious people are very healthy community. The weaker kids die off but that is like spit in to the ocean, thats how many kids they have. So only the healthy and strong can have more kids. So this irrational behavior have great results.
Now consider how stupidly the rest of us is using modern science.... we keep sick people alive, encourage them to have more kids and than we pay to keep those with bad genes alive as well. We spend billions of dolars on healthcare which prolongs the lifes of very sick very old people by several weeks. We treat some infections but not others and as a result there are bodies in hospitals which are brewing dangerous deadly infections inside of them. Many of those people are mentaly gone. Those bodies are kept warm with huge amounts of medicine some of it antibiotics which turns each body into biolab in which antibiotics resistant infections are created.

I was pointing out some time ago that religious behavior has tremendous evolutionary benefits. Having many kids and not treating the sick, produces healthy and strong community.

Seeker wrote:

That is right, and they are taking over.
Edited by kacir on 02/12/2010 11:57

Cynic
Hi Kacir, how's the weather treating you? Smile

We have a lot to thank evolution for, and a lot to curse it for. In the end, evolution is amoral and it's up to us to supply the morality. While our approach to that is arguably fraught with undesirable side-effects, I still feel it's better than what these particular religious people are up to. The result might be a healthier community, but the ends don't justify the means. Also, their dead don't give a shit how healthy the survivors are, just like the uninsured don't give a shit how much more superior the system is for their absence. Smile

kacir
Hi Cynic, the weather is against me. I like snow but not in my driveway.

Yea, you are right after we all die due to food shortages resulting from overpopulation we will still have the moral high ground. But the remaining living religious zealots will have the food. What scares me the most is that it is most likely to hapened DURING my lifetime. Well, just befor the end of it anyway. I just hope that I starve to death and wont be tortured to death for Jesus.

Skeeve
Very nice to see you kacir!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
kacir: Good to see you again! I don't see anything wrong with keeping sick people alive, but I agree that antibiotics are wildly overused. Staph infections are, I think, a result; it's dangerous to go to the hospital these days.

There was a report on the national news a couple of nights ago concerning healthy animals in industrial food factories which are treated with antibiotics, and how much harm that is doing. Sooner or later, something resistant to everything is going to spread and kill us all.

The DFW area had a record 24-hour snow event: 12.5 inches in 24 hours. I'm sure that doesn't sound like much to some, but it is down here! Thanks a lot, El Nino.
Edited by catman on 02/12/2010 15:43
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
That's enough snow Cat. It's a lot to me, but compared to the eastern area of the country right now it's at least manageable.

I really feel for all those people - especially the ones without power and unable to even leave their homes.

Cynic
I wonder how many of those people who lost power for days thought to drain their pipes before they bugged out.

catman
There are 200,000 people without power in DFW right now. My 89-year-old mom was without it for about 12 hours. Not good when it's 29 degrees. At least she got her power restored about noon.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Dangerous stuff. It truly reminds us that we're all about a week's disaster from the stone age.

Sinny
The Beagleys will be sentenced Feb. 18. The maximum penalty for criminally negligent homicide is 10 years, but the Beagleys likely will receive no more than 18 months in prison and could be sentenced to probation.

Sheesh man what a piss poor sentence they got...I have no doubt if it had been for any reason other than religion they would have gotten longer sentence. It sickens me to see people like this get away with murder under the guise of religion and knowing there are about 40 other states with the same or lesser sentences for such crimes when all the murder has to say is it's their religious [right] freedom.l This religions free get out of jail card has to stop

died in June 2008 of complications from an undiagnosed congenital urinary blockage.

I would think that would be very painful. He had to have said something to them saying how much it hurts.

I know I myself had said the religious are hypocrites when they seek medical help and don't completely rely on prayer for healing but that is when it's the adults. I draw the line when it comes to kid had absolutely no defense and they had all the control. It's one thing when they totally rely on prayer for healing when it comes to adults but dammit give the kids a chance to survive.

Kacir good to hear from you. I agree it's not a bad idea to weed out the weak in pain and or dyeing when necessary but this isn't the case here. This kid could have lived a long healthy life had they got him to a Doctor or hospital. If we as a society are to make such decisions then it should be when we all become adults not when it's the children. Adults should have the right to decide if they no longer want to be part of society or are too weak to go on...this is why I believe in the right to die with dignity. This kid was never given the chance to become an adult and decide for himself if he should or shouldn't go on living if he's not perfect or if he's in so much pain and it can't be cured. I think he was home Schooled and had even less of a chance to get help outside this wackaloon family and that needs to be changed. Our Government should hire inspectors or a sort of new kind of truant officers to check up on families who home School their children. This way if something is wrong there's a better chance of getting the kid help before it's too late. No guarantee but at least some chance however slim.
Edited by Sinny on 02/14/2010 23:26

Jump to Forum: