View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Why atheism?
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Are liberals and atheists smarter.
derF
Here is an interesting article comparing liberal/atheist minds to conservative/religious minds. Very novel and insightful. Would like to hear your comments.

http://www.scienc...132655.htm

Found this on another atheist site on Facebook.
Edited by derF on 03/02/2010 01:07
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
I'd read this at Facebook too. It is interesting.

I think we've kind of suspected most of this for a while now, but the findings from this study are even more in depth than much of what I've heard and read on the subject before.

Theory_Execution
What a load of shit.

Atheism is not a social value, religious or political preference. It is not evolutionarily novel either. It is a default position.

Beyond that it reads ok, nothing I would not have guessed at. Always good to ahve studies support your guesses tho.

seeker
TE - I'm not crazy about the term 'evolutionarily novel' either but I do see what he i getting at.

Logically speaking you are right that atheism is a default position but humans are predisposed to superstition. Logic is an artificial construct.

Theory_Execution
Hmmmmm. Other animals act logically without the superior reasoning capabilities we have, it is just that in many instances their assumptions are flawed.

Are we talking about Logic as a study / reasoned method here?

Theory_Execution
I was discussing the flaws in todays media with a graduate of journalism, pointing out that the celebrity and gossip stories are there to placate people so that the things which actually matter are over looked.

She responded that there is a demand for celebrity gossip, which caused me to reply 'Next you will be telling me that people demanded producers to pump their meat full of plasticizers and bulking agents'

My point was, which I tried to explain later, that the demand is for cheaper prices on food, and that the bulking techniques are a con to make it appear that you have received more meat, when the fact is you are given ground bone and other things.

I also set a hypothetical situation as follows;

A 'class-A' (classed as most 'dangerous' by the government) drug dealer appears before a crown court, he is accused of selling drugs, his defense is 'I was only meeting the demand.' What do you think should happen to the guy?

It is an extreme case, as the drugs are illegal, but the general principle applies. The demand the drug dealer experiences is a byproduct of the drive for pleasure and the resultant addiction of the users. It is exploitation of a character trait of many humans.

Just as I believe celeb gossip is exploitation of the character trait of many humans to gleam the secrets of others, be initiated into a group of enlightened people etc.

Well the result of all of this was that my friend felt insulted by me, thinking that I had called her stupid. Which made me think the following.

Is a builder with no tools a bad builder?

A mind of religious leaning is like a builder with no tools. He could live in a cave and survive imagining his home to be a palace of extraordinary splendor, but it would not change the reality of a dark, damn and unwelcoming cave.

Now a mind without religion, which has embraced its reasoning faculties (ofcourse there are atheists who have never thought about it) is like a builder who has tools. He can appreciate reality and embrace the resources reality has to offer, he can build his own home and live in comfort, but also build homes for others.

I do not think that atheists are superior in intelligence to theists, I prefer to think that they have some how overlooked or not been given the relevant reasoning tools that allow one to explore their intellectual potential.

Does any of that make sense?

seeker
Theory_Execution wrote:
Hmmmmm. Other animals act logically without the superior reasoning capabilities we have, it is just that in many instances their assumptions are flawed.

Are we talking about Logic as a study / reasoned method here?

I'm talking about logic as method. More importantly I'm talking about the ability to approach problems with as few presuppositions as possible. Animals can work out problems by trial and error but they are unable to use more sophisticated logical methods.

People have superior reasoning skills but we tend to assume that because we can see patterns in things that there must be an underlying order. Throw in a tendency to anthropomorphism and you have a tendency to assume sky fairies

derF
Perhaps atheists/liberals are just more curious or more mentally active rather than just out and out smarter. But then again I think the study takes in the whole of the two groups and finds on average that atheists/liberals are somewhat more intelligent.
Edited by derF on 03/02/2010 22:58
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Theory_Execution
Again, I think all the study points out is the influence of the environments of the atheists and theists.

Plate steel can be sharpened to act as a knife, but for cutting meat it is useless until that sharpening has occured.

Sinny
I think most are smarter than christians/theists simply because we don't believe in fairytales so we don't waste time wishing upon a god. Instead we read, study and think more.

It depends on how we are raised, born. I think there not so smart atheists and skeptics too just not as many as theists.

I was too tired to read the whole article but I think there are a lot of variables to consider to be sure. What about the atheists/skeptics who believed in a god most of their lives if not all until they became adults young, middle aged or older they may not know much more than your average young adult christian who cherry picks and makes stupid nonsense out of sheer stupidity.
Edited by Sinny on 03/03/2010 19:35

Hypatia
PZ Meyers take on the study.

http://scienceblo...on_the.php

Stop patting yourselves on the back over this study

Good grief. This ridiculous study is making the rounds of the atheist community, with its claim that liberals and atheists are smarter than conservatives and religious people. Look at the numbers!

Young adults who identify themselves as "not at all religious" have an average IQ of 103 during adolescence, while those who identify themselves as "very religious" have an average IQ of 97 during adolescence.

Seriously? Show me the error bars on those measurements. Show me the reliability of IQ as a measure of actual, you know, intelligence. Show me that a 6 point IQ difference matters at all in your interactions with other people, even if it were real. And then to claim that these differences are not only heritable, but evolutionarily significant…jebus, people, you can just glance at it and see that it is complete crap.

And then look at the source: Satoshi Kanazawa, the Fenimore Cooper of Sociobiology, the professional fantasist of Psychology Today. He's like the poster boy for the stupidity and groundlessnessof freakishly fact-free evolutionary psychology. Just ignore anything with Kanazawa's name on it.

catman
I don't think it is so much that atheists may be smarter than theists. It's just that we don't waste our time, thoughts and energy on illusions promoted by society.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I waste a hell of a lot of time on illusions created by game companies. But the only people getting hurt in those are created from pixels.

Jump to Forum: