View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How you maintain health?
DackWells
For healthy lifestyle, how you keep yourself healthy by diet & exercise?
Share your ideas and tips of being healthy.
Edited by DackWells on 04/05/2010 05:00

Theory_Execution
I get up at about 6am, say 20minutes of grovelling prayers. At about lunch time I pray again that I will not get fat or sick and then go about my meal and business. By night there is just enough time left to pray again, which I do, begging that my penis doesnt go limp and i dont get man boobs.

After writing that I do think it comes across as a bit harsh, but for a first post on an atheist forum, it is a very strange one.

In all seriousness, I dont smoke, get a bit of exercise in here and there and I eat when im hungry.

I do not however pray, because that is unhealthy.

Skeeve
Ha! I wouldn't worry too much, TE, I suspect spammer, but gave them the benefit of the doubt when approving their account.

catman
I get ice cubes out of the tray when preparing a drink. Does that count as exercise?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I would say it does. My nan used to have these old school metal icetrays - it looked like a medical stainless steel tray, then it had an insertable metal strip latticework, which shaped the individual cubes. I got my hand stuck to it many a time.

Hypatia
I remember those ice cube trays TE. They're the kind we had when I was a kid, and then eventually the plastic ones (and ones with shapes) came along.

I remember how one could sustain a nasty ice burn injury if they got too stuck to the ice - it could even take off some skin if you didn't run water around it before trying to move the skin away from the ice.

derF
I work out for at least an hour a day alternating between weight training and aerobics with core work every day. And I don't touch Spam!

catman
Yikes! I've had a lot of exercise lately moving boxes of stuff out of my recently deceased brother's duplex, but it sounds like you're really serious about it.

Yes, I remember those metal ice trays! They were diabolical.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I liked them, I used to see how long I could hold my hand on them before it became too stuck and painful. I prefer them to these rubber things you have to twist and bend to get the cubes out.

I wonder if my nan still has one lying around somewhere, shes a bit of a hoarder.

I used to be mroe active than I am now. I used to swim every week and weight train every other day. Iv stopped the swimming but I am aiming to bike to work this summer.

Hypatia
I like water exercise the best. Whatever exercise I do has to be something I can handle with the physical limitations, and it also has to be fun and interesting. There's a lot of exercise that doesn't fit any of that for me. But exercising in the water is a lot of fun, it can be challenging on nearly any level one wants, and it also fits well with balance problems and other physical challenges.

I go as often as I can to the therapeutic pool where I had my PT. The water is always 90 F or warmer (I don't tolerate cold water well - even in so called 'heated' pools - since the ability to feel heat and cold was altered so much), and they have great equipment there for exercising in the water and ways of adapting the equipment for people who are physically challenged. I love it.

Doubting Thomas
Well after I finish hacking up a lung first thing in the morning, I smoke half a pack of cigs to get the old blood pumping. After half a dozen Krispy Kremes and a few bottles of Bud, I watch about two hours of TV to keep my thumb exercised by punching the remote. Then I fire up the ol' deep frier and get a nice healthy meal of chicken strips and french fries going for lunch. After that I have a strenuous regimen of surfing the internet, and to keep me going I eat a couple of energy bars. What were they called? Oh yeah, "Snickers." Then I ease back by finishing off the six pack of Bud and rest on the couch with a bag of Doritos. By evening I'm pretty tired so I usually go to my favorite health food place, McDonald's. After a couple of Big Macs I'm pretty worn out so go back home to sleep.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Well after I finish hacking up a lung first thing in the morning, I smoke half a pack of cigs to get the old blood pumping. After half a dozen Krispy Kremes and a few bottles of Bud, I watch about two hours of TV to keep my thumb exercised by punching the remote. Then I fire up the ol' deep frier and get a nice healthy meal of chicken strips and french fries going for lunch. After that I have a strenuous regimen of surfing the internet, and to keep me going I eat a couple of energy bars. What were they called? Oh yeah, "Snickers." Then I ease back by finishing off the six pack of Bud and rest on the couch with a bag of Doritos. By evening I'm pretty tired so I usually go to my favorite health food place, McDonald's. After a couple of Big Macs I'm pretty worn out so go back home to sleep.

I think I need a couple of Rolaids after reading that.

*belch*

Theory_Execution
Im sure at some point or other, each of us hasnt been far off DTs schedule there.

I know I went through some odd phases a few years back.

derF
Water related work outs are great Patia. Some of the most in shape looking people at the gym where I go are swimmers. Water offers great resistance in every direction you try to move. Keep it up, kid!

Hypatia
derF wrote:
Water related work outs are great Patia. Some of the most in shape looking people at the gym where I go are swimmers. Water offers great resistance in every direction you try to move. Keep it up, kid!

Cheer I do love it. And when I fall it doesn't hurt!

I also like socializing at the pool. I can exercise and socialize at the same time. Now if they'd just let us have mojitos and margaritas poolside we'd really have it made. lol.

catman
Mmmm...margaritas!

Every time I see the title of this thread, I want to answer with "Me eat and sleep".
Edited by catman on 04/15/2010 16:53

Jump to Forum: