View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why 'red' states have more divorce.
derF
FROM AN EDITORIAL IN THE NATIONAL JOURNAL BY JONATHAN RAUCH:

If you want to find lots of “two-parent families with stable marriages,” said Jonathan Rauch, “your best bet is to bypass Sarah Palin country and go to Nancy Pelosi territory.” That’s right: The lowest divorce rates and lowest rates of teenage pregnancy are in the secular, liberal “blue” states, while the highest rates of social dysfunction are in churchgoing “red” states with conservative values. In a new book, family law professors Naomi Cahn and June Carbone explain why: By stressing a traditional view of sex, red states pressure young people to remain abstinent until marriage. In today’s culture, many fail and become unwed mothers like Bristol Palin. To avoid that fate, others get married and start families in their early 20s, making it unrealistic for them to get college and graduate degrees. People without college educations, studies show, are more likely to get divorced, to hold low-paying jobs, and to succumb to all manner of social ills. So in the Information Age, in which education is critical to success, “moral traditionalism” backfires. Blue state values--don’t get married until you’re equipped for responsibility--breed more stable, lasting families.

THOUGH, MAYBE, A FEW OF YOU WOULD ENJOY READING AND PERHAPS COMMENTING ON THIS.

catman
I suppose my three college degrees didn't take. I've been divorced twice.

Anyway, yes, I'm not surprised at the results. A test drive is good idea before one buys, if one must.
Edited by catman on 05/10/2010 14:35

Skeeve
I want to know what causes the hypocrisy.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Skeeve - The hypocrisy comes from people feeling guilty about their own inability to live up to the standards they espouse. They justify themselves by becoming hyper-aware of other people's perceived transgressions. Rather than admit to themselves that their standards are irrational they simply lie about their own lives and deflect attention by pointing out other people's transgressions.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Religion is good about that, huh?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Religion just allows people to claim that the judgments come from God and not them.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: