View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My critters
RayvenAlandria
I'll start this off by showcasing my critters.

I have one very fat cat, Storm, and three box turtles. The eldest one was named Box Mulder until I began to suspect she's a girl. Maybe I'll have to name the baby male Box Mulder and she can be Skully.

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/remodeling%20of%20the%20new%20house/My%20pet%20turtles/P1010354.jpg

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/remodeling%20of%20the%20new%20house/My%20pet%20turtles/100_3728.jpg

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/remodeling%20of%20the%20new%20house/My%20pet%20turtles/P1010359.jpg

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/remodeling%20of%20the%20new%20house/My%20pet%20turtles/100_3723.jpg

neilmarr
Here's our old girl (the vet tells us well over the century) with a recent bunch o' hatchlings. Neil

neilmarr
Here's our old girl (the vet tells us well over the century) with a recent bunch o' hatchlings. Neil

PS: pic too big, I' afraid. Sorry. Neil

PPS: But this is the perfect opportunity to see if we can delete our own posts. N

PPPS: We can't. N

***ADMIN EDIT***

Looks like Admins can Edit and Delete member posts tooGrin
Edited by Skeeve on 08/05/2008 00:14

catman
Ach. The photos of the turtles reminded me of TurtleLady from the old site. I hope she is all right.

RayvenAlandria
When I click on "edit" it shows an option to "delete this post". Are y'all not getting that option?

neilmarr
Right you are, Ray. It's there under 'options' when you hit 'edit'. Didn't notice. Many thanks. Neil

Bob of QF
I used to keep box turtles as a teenager.

I learned how to sex the mature ones (larger than babies).

Males tend to have red or orange eyes, often brightly colored.

Females tend to have more quiet eye color-- a more pastel or faded orange, or even brown.

The males' scales on his front feet are often brightly colored, too-- red or orange (note this is relatively "bright" and not florescent or anything).

Next, males have a heaver tail than females. Females tend to have nice, pert, nearly conical/tapered tails. Slender. Males tales are fat at the base, and the conical profile is interrupted by his, ahem, members. (yes, that's right-- he has two members, like all reptiles.) When he's not mating, these reside in a pouch or pocket in the base of his tail. They only emerge during mating, and one or both may penetrate the female's "all purpose" cloaca.

Finally, males have longer fore-claws on their front feet. These are used in "foreplay" to sooth the female during mating.

So. Females have not-so-brightly colored eyes. They have slender tails. They tend towards yellow or pale orange scales on their front legs, They have short, even-length front claws.

Males have brightly colored eyes, especially in the spring. They have fat tails. They have brightly colored scales on their front legs. They have long, uneven-length front claws, longest on the inner side, tapering towards the outer edge to the shortest length.

Turtles are too cool....!
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
Boxies are weird though, sometimes they can have all the characteristics of a gender and turn out to be the other one, and sometimes they have characteristics of both genders.

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Boxies are weird though, sometimes they can have all the characteristics of a gender and turn out to be the other one, and sometimes they have characteristics of both genders.

You may be right-- I never had babies, always 2-3 year olds and older.

And, for reptiles, temperature has a lot to do with gender, too.

Weird, hunh? Grin

Imagine if people operated like that....!

"today, I'm feeling overheated*. I think I'll be a woman for awhile." ROFL!

*not to imply that women are overheated or tend to overheat or anything like that....

catman
There are some rather reptilian people around. Perhaps they do operate like that!

What kind of turtles are those little numbers that have the red patch on the sides of their heads? I'm thinking way back to my childhood, when the ice sheets were retreating.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

schmoo
Bob-I'm guessing it's a turtle thing, we wouldn't understand! Wink

RayvenAlandria
Are you speaking of red eared sliders? They are water turtles.

seeker
That sounds like the name of a hamburger

FreakMeow
The turtles are cute. I see you have more than one now.

RayvenAlandria
Yeah, I have two babies now. I told Ray over the phone a couple weeks ago, I guess he didn't tell you. I always assume he'll tell you things I tell him but I guess if he thinks it's not overly important he doesn't bother. The weenie.

Hypatia
Rayven - Storm is a beautiful cat. Is she 'helpful' with the turtles, or just curious? Wink

Catman wrote:
There are some rather reptilian people around. Perhaps they do operate like that!

That's quite true. People such as myself, who have spinal cord injuries from the T-6 level and above, can have a condition known as 'poikilotherm' - a term used to describe reptiles that are cold blooded. These animals have a temperature inside their body that is controlled by the outside temperature of the environment.

The inside temperature of a person with a SCI at T-6 or above can significantly be affected by the temperature of the environment. When the outside temperature is 80ΒΊ F or above the poikilothermic person cannot normally dilate the blood vessels and sweat appropriately in an attempt to cool the inside temperature of the body. Likewise, when the outside temperature is cold the the poikliothermic patient can't constrict the blood vessels in an attempt to conserve heat.

So SCI people with this condition have to be aware of their limited protective ability and take care to adjust to the external temperature to avoid heat stroke, hypothermia, etc., which can happen very quickly.

That concludes our lesson for today.

Smile

Hypatia
catman wrote:
Ach. The photos of the turtles reminded me of TurtleLady from the old site. I hope she is all right.

I hope she is too. I've tried to locate her, via Google searches, but no success so far.

I still have the photos of her with her turtles that we posted at the 'other' site - her babies (the non-rodent babies that is).

Hypatia
These are our canine kids, Zoe and Prissy (we didn't name Prissy - she came to us with the silly moniker!).

Zoey
i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/Z3.jpg (disguised as 'Frog Dog'Wink

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/ZoeDec2007-1.jpg

Prissy
i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/P1.jpg

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/Prissy-1.jpg

catman
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I don't know; like I stated, I'm going back to the 1950s with this. They were onlt 3 inches or so long, and were sold as pets in a big department store downtown. I don't think they were water turtles, but I'm not sure.

Hypatia: Thanks for the 'lesson'. I had no idea such a condition existed.
Edited by catman on 08/08/2008 00:41
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I don't know; like I stated, I'm going back to the 1950s with this. They were onlt 3 inches or so long, and were sold as pets in a big department store downtown. I don't think they were water turtles, but I'm not sure.

Hypatia: Thanks for the 'lesson'. I had no idea such a condition existed.

I've had many a red-eared slider-- and they were water turtles. (I'm 50, so I remember those in "dime stores" as a very common thing.)

As late as 1990's, I had caught a pair in the wild, and they mated (had a male and a female). Unfortunately, I didn't have the temperature of their sandbox (which I had built expressly for them to lay in) right, and the eggs never hatched.

I returned them to a local "no fishing allowed" lake-- I like to think they're still around-- turtles live a very long time.

Jump to Forum: