View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Imagine if All Atheists left America
Bob of QF
http://www.youtub...feature=iv

[youtube]mbef07aQtB8[/youtube]
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
derF
You won't see that video floating around any religious sites. I'll betcha!
 
catman
I doubt it! Some of the conclusions may be open to debate, but it would most certainly be a bad thing.
 
Theory_Execution
It would be a bad thing for the world, not just America.
 
Skeeve
I like it. Though something strikes me as disingenuous about it's claims.

While the statistics may all be accurate, the way the author puts them together may not actually correlate.

Nevertheless, I think I'll put it on the front page. Pfft

Thanks, Bob.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
Hypatia
I liked it too.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I think there's probably a lot of truth in it.

I think it would be closer to 15%-16% of America that would be missing if atheists left the country.

And I do think we'd be missed. Wave
 
Theory_Execution
Well people would suddenly realise, a lot of the good honest people they knew and relied upon, just wouldnt be there anymore.

And their doctors would be conducting experiments to see if a man can survive for two weeks living on air and sunlight.
 
Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
Well people would suddenly realise, a lot of the good honest people they knew and relied upon, just wouldnt be there anymore.

And their doctors would be conducting experiments to see if a man can survive for two weeks living on air and sunlight.


Not to mention, many of those leftover "doctors" would likely as not, resort entirely to simply praying for a 'cure'.

Or perhaps a return to bleeding out the bad 'humors'....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Theory_Execution
I will never forget what a trainee medic I was living with once said to me, that people who get cancer and suffer do so because they have sinned.
 
Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
I will never forget what a trainee medic I was living with once said to me, that people who get cancer and suffer do so because they have sinned.


Exactly the point that the book of Job was supposed to have addressed, which is this:
Shit happens. Deal with it.

But noooo... those religious types love to point their holier than thou fingers and think, "glad that not ME what sinned"....

<gaaaa>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Theory_Execution wrote:
I will never forget what a trainee medic I was living with once said to me, that people who get cancer and suffer do so because they have sinned.


Exactly the point that the book of Job was supposed to have addressed, which is this:
Shit happens. Deal with it.

But noooo... those religious types love to point their holier than thou fingers and think, "glad that not ME what sinned"....

<gaaaa>


"So if you wake up one morning unable to move your legs anymore, or take a dive into shallow water, we'll know. Right?"

Angry
 
catman
That causes me to wonder whether medics who have that attitude and treat cancer patientsmight consider that they were interfering with "God's will" by doing so.

Hypatia: Your comment reminds me of the Salem witch trials, in which one of the procedures used was to throw the "witch" into a body of water as a test of whether or not she was guilty. If she drowned, she was a witch.
 
Bob of QF
catman wrote:
That causes me to wonder whether medics who have that attitude and treat cancer patientsmight consider that they were interfering with "God's will" by doing so.

Hypatia: Your comment reminds me of the Salem witch trials, in which one of the procedures used was to throw the "witch" into a body of water as a test of whether or not she was guilty. If she drowned, she was a witch.


Actually? It's much, much worse: if she didn't drown, she was a witch-- and they'd hang her or burn her alive.

If she drowned? They'd drag the body out of the water, give it last "rites" and apologize to the corpse... but it'd have a "good christian burial", so that was alright

.... riiiiight.

Sick fucks.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
Ach. So much for halfway-remembered bits of history.

That is a complete no-win situation!
 
Theory_Execution
Catman: "Your comment reminds me of the Salem witch trials, in which one of the procedures used was to throw the "witch" into a body of water as a test of whether or not she was guilty. If she drowned, she was a witch."

I thought a witch would float, and the innocent would drown, hence the requirement of burning witches?

Ohh should have read all the thread, BoQF beat me to it.

I worry about anybody in a position of power who hears what they call a voice of God in their heads.
 
seeker
You are right on that one Bob. Of course they only used the water test if they wanted to be nice. More often than not they just tortured the women until they 'confessed' then burned them.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
 
Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
I worry about anybody in a position of power who hears what they call a voice of God in their heads.


As should anyone with a rational mind.

Someday, these "god hearing" people will be treated for the extreme schizophrenics that they are-- or else exposed for the fraud they are.

Either way works for me.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
I think most of them have been conditioned into imagining that they 'hear' God. Or else since all their friends say they have, they have to say "me too" to keep from being looked down upon by them.
 
Hypatia
I think with some all they have to do is have a thought and they think that is gawd talking to them, so they do what gawd tells them to.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.
 
Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
I think with some all they have to do is have a thought and they think that is gawd talking to them, so they do what gawd tells them to.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.


Yes... and amazingly? Their god always manages to agree with them.... telling them to do what they were going to do anyhow.

<eyeroll>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Atheists Are All Wrong Pleased to meet you! 4 12/11/2014 16:16
Lard Protect Us From the Militant Atheists Christianity 3 09/22/2014 11:54
Atheists Today shirts, caps and mugs The Lounge 8 04/04/2012 08:08
Foxhole Atheists Rock Beyone Belief The Lounge 3 03/23/2012 22:17
Bryant Evan Kuehner has a problem with Atheists Today The Rant Room 14 01/22/2012 18:33