View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Science
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
It's Alive
Bob of QF
Scientists have successfully taken strands of artificially assembled DNA and inserted it into dead cell body, re-vivifying the cell.

Step 1 to completely artificial bacteria.

Take THAT fundies!

http://scienceblo...live_1.php
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
Good progress for science, worrying progress for those that would use science for bad purposes.

However, when they cross beef dna, with egg dna and onion dna, then I will be happy.

Skeeve
Theory_Execution wrote:
Good progress for science, worrying progress for those that would use science for bad purposes.

However, when they cross beef dna, with egg dna and onion dna, then I will be happy.

Hear, hear!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
I can't wait till they find a way to modify dna so that a pig will mature already fully cooked. It'll revolutionize the Luau.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

derF
seeker wrote:
I can't wait till they find a way to modify dna so that a pig will mature already fully cooked. It'll revolutionize the Luau.

I was thinking along simpler terms. You know, mixing lettuce, tomato, carrot and celery genes so you only needed one vegetable to make a salad. Sigh.

Bob of QF
How about a plant that grows hot, read-to-eat low-fat french fries?

Simply pick them off the vine, peel, and the exposure to oxygen would start a chain reaction that heats the fry. Obviously, you'd make peeling easy, and the peels would be excellent organic mulch, for recycling.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
I first heard about this from the paper the other morning, but I was intrigued to see where teh story apeared on google news, seeing how I have commented before about how an apple product (or some story concerning one) was always in the top ten articles multiple times.

Lets consider what this is, it is a monumental breakthrough in genetics, a huge achievement, so where did it appear. Second, in the Sci/tech listing it was second to a story about Google planning to combine tv with web browsing.

Fucking shocking.

catman
There's more money to be made with the Google story.

Theory_Execution
Yup, which is what everything ultimately boils down to. Googles power is also getting disturbing now too. They want to start using face recognition software more openly.

Jump to Forum: