View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What Did Jesus Do
derF
Found this interesting article in the latest copy of the New Yorker magazine. The author compiles some ideas gleaned from some of the latest books published about the life of Jesus if, indeed, such a person existed. Thought some of you out there might find it an interesting read.

http://www.newyor...rge_gopnik

catman
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the link.

Skeeve
Nice find derF. I learned a couple things about Mark that I hadn't realized before as well.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
A pretty good find derF. I particularly liked his point that theists generally take the most improbable aspects of the gospels as true because they assume no one would relate such ridiculous things if they weren't true. It's kind of a formula for believing anything.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
seeker wrote:
A pretty good find derF. I particularly liked his point that theists generally take the most improbable aspects of the gospels as true because they assume no one would relate such ridiculous things if they weren't true. It's kind of a formula for believing anything.

Well.... to be a believer/theist? Is not that a general requirement? You're pretty gullible at the outset?

<eyeroll>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
"The Greek word tektoŻn, long taken to mean “carpenter,” could mean something closer to a stoneworker

Read more: http://www.newyor...QrZC"

OHHH NOOEEESSS Jesus was a Mason!!!

I think I have some audio lectures on the historicity of Jesus and the Bible somewhere. Have been meaning to listen to them for a while.

Jump to Forum: