View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TEXAS CORRECTS HISTORY
derF
(submitted with deference to Catman)

On a 9-5 partisan vote, the Texas State Board of Education today finalized approval of several extreme right-wing curriculum changes. Due to the number of public school students in the state, the changes in Texas could drastically influence textbooks throughout the country as publishers often develop materials based on the standards of larger states.

Among the curriculum changes expected to take affect in Texas are: reducing the scope of Latino history; encouraging students to question the legal doctrine of separation of church and state; terms such as "capitalism" replaced with "free market;" labeling civil rights programs that protect women and people of color as having adverse "unintended consequences;" emphasis on "the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s," including favorable mentions of the Eagle Forum, Moral Majority, Heritage Foundation, the National Rifle Association and New Gingrich´s Contract With America; more positive portrayal of Cold War anticommunism; removal of third-party presidential candidates; labeling Confederate General Stonewall Jackson as a role model for effective leadership and a statement from Confederate President Jefferson Davis to accompany a statement from President Abraham Lincoln; and to include country and western music among nation´s important cultural movements while dropping hip-hop from the same list.

And, perhaps worst of all, Texas will change text books’ so that the word slavery is dropped in favor of ‘Atlantic Triangular Trade’.

So that means that all you idiots who thought that the Civil War was about SLAVERY are completely wrong. The Civil War was about denying Texas and the other states of the Confederacy from participating in the Atlantic Triangular Trade market. Stupid Yankees.

catman
Well, they modified a few points, such as now calling it 'Atlantic Triangular Slave Trade', and not entirely removing T. Jefferson, only his concern with separation of church & state. However, I still hang my head in shame for Texas. Cry
Edited by catman on 05/22/2010 22:06

JohnH
It should be noted that the Civil War started as one of states rights states against the republic. The emancipation proclamation did not immediately free all slaves and in fact arguments are made that it was as much a political act having intents different than what is obvious on the surface.

With that little bit of pickyness done with this is very sad news. I do not know what percentage of school books Texas buys a year but I know from reading elsewhere that it has a disproportionate effect on what is written in them. That the state board of education there is so willing to let their own personal biases effect what is taught in their schools and this bias will also effect schools across the country is very disturbing. Hopefully other state school boards will reject the texts written to these standards and force Texas to pay a real premium to maintain their decision to revise or distort history. Unfortunately those other states will be forced to pay a premium also.

Bob of QF
JohnH wrote:... Hopefully other state school boards will reject the texts written to these standards and force Texas to pay a real premium to maintain their decision to revise or distort history. Unfortunately those other states will be forced to pay a premium also.

California's legislators were so appalled at Texas' stupidity, that they literally made it illegal to teach from a book written to the Texas 'standard'.

Good for them--- that will allow at least two choices to the remaining states.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
JohnH: "That the state board of education there is so willing to let their own personal biases effect what is taught"

That was their reason for joining, it isnt a slight check sum error that the new curriculum contains a few personal bias, that was the plan from the start.

Did any of you hear about Thomas Paine when at school?

Skeeve
Of course, he's considered "The Father of the American Revolution". Every school I ever attended had Common Sense as required reading. Holding him to such high esteem would lead them to read another great work,The Age of Reason.

And THAT wouldn't sit well with the christard fundies.
Edited by Skeeve on 05/23/2010 09:08
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
That guy achieved a lot in his life, but I dont think he is given the attention he deserves.

JohnH
TE, you are correct about Thomas Paine, he is typically honored in american history classes with a few quotes from the "Age of Reason", but the more radical parts of his political philosophy are glossed over. As, frankly are some of the more radical parts of the "Founding Fathers", as well as the more disturbing such as slave ownership.

I have said this before here, but, every american and ever person in the world who must deal with america should read "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.
Edited by JohnH on 05/23/2010 12:54

seeker
I guess if you are trying to reverse the Enlightenment you have to start somewhere. Someone wake me when they start the New Inquisition.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
TE, I ignored your other comment in my previous post. Your are correct political and social conservatives have targeted school board elections to further their views. These elections tend to be low key and the conservatives have made inroads in places one would not expect.

It does show one thing, the willingness of the right in this country to further their agenda at all levels. This should be contrasted by the left's (in most cases) indifference to grass roots action.
Edited by JohnH on 05/23/2010 13:04

JohnH
Bob of QF, hold your enthusiasm for a moment. The california bill you spoke of has only passed out of committee. It still needs to be voted on by the legislature and signed by the governor. And, to reduce its immediate affect the state's budget difficulties mean california will not be buying any books for a few years.

Bob of QF
JohnH... yeah, I saw that-- I'd been informed it was a done deal.

Apparently not. Still, it's a step in the correct direction.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
Have you Texicans been out protesting, there was one, I saw it on Atheist Experience.

derF
My daughter lives in San Antonio and works for a publishing company that specializes in text books. She is just furious and tells me that nearly everyone where she works is abhorred by this. Unfortunately the company intends on fulfilling the Board of Educations desires because they are paying for it. Can't let facts get in the way of profits now, can we?

Theory_Execution
Disgusting isn't it, if they did stop printing them, for reasons of truth, then some other company would do so - or worse the christians would fund their own text book printing business - Watch Tower for public schools!

Well, in a few years America will be in the dark ages.

Jump to Forum: