View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Haggard Starting New Church
Hypatia
Surely it was only a matter of time before Ted Haggard would decide enough time had passed for sheeple's memories to lapse and he could 'safely' start another church. Sigh. And they will go, however slowly to begin with.

http://www.forbes...sinessnews

Bob of QF
Well... once a dick, always a dick I suppose....

I'd hate to be an altar-boy at his new place, though...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I hope more people remember what a turd he is than he thinks will.

seeker
Christians tend to forget about scandals like this one.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
The way I read the articles about his return implied to me that Haggard will use his scandal as part of his ministry. All humans are sinners but with the help of god we can overcome and I am a prime example, seems to be the tone of his quotes. For example his counsellors have told him he is completely heterosexual and his homosexual acts were only from some sort of confusion, but now he has found his way.

See if you have lemons make lemonade.

Bob of QF
JohnH wrote:

Unfortunately? For Haggard, he has lemons alright, but they are moldy, and he's fresh out of sugar.... perhaps he can make some lemon kool aid... I suspect he's plenty of arsenic laying about...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
Don't you get it? He'll claim that he is a changed man. That god came to him and that he forgave him and ordered him to go out and teach his followers the truth. He'll probably be very successful again. That's the beauty of religion. No matter what you do you can be forgiven and all will be forgotten. Literally.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:
The way I read the articles about his return implied to me that Haggard will use his scandal as part of his ministry. All humans are sinners but with the help of god we can overcome and I am a prime example, seems to be the tone of his quotes. For example his counsellors have told him he is completely heterosexual and his homosexual acts were only from some sort of confusion, but now he has found his way.

A couple of nights ago I saw that Haggard and his wife were going to be interviewed on a show and I wanted to watch it. I managed to miss the beginning but caught the last bit of it. Haggard said that, through counseling (and naturally it was 'christian counseling'Wink he'd come to 'understand' that it wasn't homosexuality that led him to have sex with a man, because he *isn't* gay, but rather it was that he had been molested as a child and he was 'acting out'.

He says now that human sexuality is (not verbatim) 'intricate, and complicated' so he isn't judging anyone who thinks of themselves as homosexual.

I too think he will now implement his 'experience' into his ministry. I wonder if he'll try use it in an attempt to minister to gay people in particular.

JohnH
I also saw the bit about being molested as a child. I kind of ignored it because he offered no collaborating evidence.

I now would like to know what caused his crystal meth use.

seeker
That's the beauty of having a Christian following I suppose. You never have to prove an assertion.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
And, you can apologize for anything with a crocodile-teared public act of contrition ("I'm only a weak human") and be forgiven.
Edited by catman on 06/05/2010 02:51

derF
Bunch of bleeding heart conservatives!
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Doubting Thomas
Maybe they can name it the First Church of I'm Not Queer.

Jump to Forum: