View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Dalai Lama weighs in
derF
The latest issue of Time magazine featured the Dalai Lama in the 10 Questions section. Some one asked him, "What do you say to people who use religion as a pretext to violence or killing?"

He replied.

"There are innocent, faithful people that are manipulated by some other people whose interest is different. Their interest in not religion but power or sometimes money. They manipulate religious faith. In such cases, we must make distinction: these (bad things) are not cause by religion."

We have kicked this topic around on the forums for years and more than a few have made this observation. Just found it kind of interesting to hear the Dalai Lama's views.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Theory_Execution
It is called a diffusionary tactic. The Dalai Lama's interests are both power and money, he manipulates the faithful.

He is also wrong, religion is the cause of this. Without it you could maybe take the odd couple for a ride, but to do it on a large scale, you need religion.
 
derF
Theory_Execution wrote:
It is called a diffusionary tactic. The Dalai Lama's interests are both power and money, he manipulates the faithful.

He is also wrong, religion is the cause of this. Without it you could maybe take the odd couple for a ride, but to do it on a large scale, you need religion.


Well that is probably close to the truth although I consider Buddhism to be one of the more benign religions. On the positive side I have added to my vocabulary!
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
catman
Religious faith, being founded upon supposition and superstition, is easily 'manipulated' (or should I say, its believers are). I agree that Buddhism seems one of the least harmful versions. But the Abrahamic religions are tailor-made for nefarious purposes.
 
Bob of QF
catman wrote:
Religious faith, being founded upon supposition and superstition, is easily 'manipulated' (or should I say, its believers are). I agree that Buddhism seems one of the least harmful versions. But the Abrahamic religions are tailor-made for nefarious purposes.


"...tailor-made"?

Methinks you have hit the very reason they were created: to turn people into mindless sheep-- and for no other reason than that.

All else is window-dressing and tinsel to make that pill easier to swallow.


(and talk about mixed metaphors..... Grin )
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
derF
Bob of QF wrote:
catman wrote:
Religious faith, being founded upon supposition and superstition, is easily 'manipulated' (or should I say, its believers are). I agree that Buddhism seems one of the least harmful versions. But the Abrahamic religions are tailor-made for nefarious purposes.


"...tailor-made"?

Methinks you have hit the very reason they were created: to turn people into mindless sheep-- and for no other reason than that.

All else is window-dressing and tinsel to make that pill easier to swallow.


(and talk about mixed metaphors..... Grin )


Methinks so too! I personally am of the opinion that religion is nothing more than a business model, and a very lucrative one, at that, for those who hold the reigns of power. And I present to you, in way of proof, .... the Vatican. I rest my case.
Edited by derF on 06/06/2010 22:56
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Theory_Execution
But as televangelists have been caught saying 'Our congregations expect us to live in big houses, and drive nice cars.'

Bullshit, as one hand drops dollar after dollar into the collection plate, the other has fingers crossed hoping to see the wealth of their preacher. In this case, one hand is unaware of what the other is doing.

Nothing other than a pyramid scheme.
 
seeker
I don't think there is much doubt that the Abramic religions are all about creating an obedient populace who will follow orders without thinking about it.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
 
derF
seeker wrote:
I don't think there is much doubt that the Abramic religions are all about creating an obedient populace who will follow orders without thinking about it.


No doubt whatsoever.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Jump to Forum: