Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Conservative Asininity
derF
Recently, Senator Joe Barton deemed it necessary to apoligize to British Partroleum for President Obama taking BP to task, to the tune of 20 billion dollars, for the incalculable damage it has incurred on the Gulf of Mexico and it’s borders. Apparently Senator Barton feels that BP is the victim here and the Obama administration is unfairly “shaking down” BP for the 'innocuous' errors it perpetrated in the Gulf of Mexico.
The republican party would like us to think that it has nothing to do with the fact that BP in one of the biggest contributors to Senator Bartons campaign chest. But even steadfast conservative Congressman Boehner insisted that Senator Barton retract his statement.
And he did! He immediately (the same day) stated that the public had misinterpreted his statement and that he himself was slightly miffed at the magnitude of this devastation. Earth changing, life changing devastation. The repercussions of this calamity will not be understood for decades.
It does not speak well for the conservatives that their first thought was not for the welfare of life in general here on earth but instead was for the prospects of their own future.
Edited by derF on 06/25/2010 02:27
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Well, it's too much to ask anyone NOT to think of his own future. But Joe Barton is an embarrassment to Texas, and to the Republican Party (one would think). He doesn't seem to have lost any stature with them, though. Shudder.

Skeeve
This is another reason I believe America deserves a Palin/Bachmann win in 2012.

Or Palin/Beck.

Stupid Americans shouldn't settle for anything less.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Bob of QF
Barton is a fine, fine example of the Best Government Money Can Buy.

<shrug>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
Skeeve wrote:
This is another reason I believe America deserves a Palin/Bachmann win in 2012.

Or Palin/Beck.

Stupid Americans shouldn't settle for anything less.

Which part of America do you think deserves Palin/Bachmann? The ones who would profit hugely from it or the ones who would suffer mightily from it?

seeker
derF - I think the irony here is that those are probably the same groups.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

derF
seeker wrote:
derF - I think the irony here is that those are probably the same groups.

Ponderable point.

Kowboy
derF:

You're making the logical fallacy of Composition. You're taking one Republican and branding all Republicans as sharing his idea. Just as all Muslims didn't support the 9/11 attacks, all Republicans do not share this guy's views.

If you suspend your anger at BP for just a minute, the bigger picture here is not wether or not BP owes money, they obviously do, but wether or not the money came from them as a good public relations gesture, a political move or a combination or wether the money was taken from them without due process.

Now I'm all for BP paying for the mess they've made, but I'm not prepared to sacrifice the rule of law to get them to do it. I'm not saying that's what happened here either.

derF
Yes, much better that BP be allowed the rule of law. As you say. That way they can avoid settlements for decades while their lawyers engage the courts in endless appeals and other legal tap dances. Meanwhile the people who lost their jobs, their lives, their homes and their dignity become the neglected forgotten small people that one BP executive alluded to. And as for your other windy diatribe you described as my logical fallacy of Composition. . . WTFDTM? Calculated, mistake in writing? I wasn't talking about the general populace and specifically those who describe themselves as Republicans. I am talking about republican politicians who have been in lock step since Obama took office and have blocked his every move to make legislation even when if was legislation that they agreed with. They could care less whether it is good for the American public or not. Their only interest is in making Obama fail in any way they can and regaining power. Period. They have said it themselves. They want to eliminate government and turn all power over to the corporations and reap huge financial rewards for their efforts. And they could care less about any 'little people' who suffer as a result.

Jump to Forum: