View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Don't Buy It!
Hypatia
Today I received 'one of those' email forwards from an xtian friend. She knows I don't want the religious themed emails and forwards so many love to send to everyone in their address book. Generally she's good about not including me in those (at my request), but every once in a while a little 'mishap' occurs with the mailing list.

And then there are also the myriad of other email forwards - many of them with some political agenda or another, or even religious content the sender apparently deems too small or subtle to make a difference.

This is one I got today, regarding a stamp 'honoring' Muslims the post office either has issued or is planning to issue that apparently some want boycotted. I read a little of the first bit and then clicked 'reply', and then clicked 'reply' again with another thought. Both of my responses follow.

Naturally the text was in all red and blue.

Apparently they think that putting hearts and butterflies on the new stamp will
make most people not realize that the rest is Arabic and probably not something we want to support.

New Stamp - the second one!!!

[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/Moslimstamp.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

USPS New 44-Cent Stamp Celebrates a Muslim holiday.
If there is only ONE thing you forward today... let it be this!

President Obama has directed the United States Postal Service to REMEMBER and HONOR the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a new commemorative 44-Cent First Class Holiday Postage Stamp.

REMEMBER to adamantly & vocally BOYCOTT this stamp, when you are purchasing your stamps at the post office.

All you have to say is "No thank you, I do not want that Muslim Stamp on my letters!"

To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all those AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors.
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of Pan Am Flight 103!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Military Barracks in Saudi Arabia !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on 9/11/2001 !

REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

Pass this along to every Patriotic American that you know and get the word out!
Honor the United States of America !

My responses:

Why WOULDN'T you support a Muslim stamp? Do you have anything against say, a Jewish stamp? A christian stamp? If you're also boycotting stamps for all other religions that's one thing, but if you're singling out boycotting only Muslim stamps, why?

'Honoring America' means honoring everyone, and if anyone honors one religion, or person, then to honor AMERICA means we embrace ALL - everyone, alike.

It seems to me that these days (since 9/11) so many Americans have an exceptionally displaced sense of what being an American means.

I was kind of irritated when I replied, and the way I said what I did (I now see) could easily imply I 'honor' anyone, and all, because of their religion, when in fact I do not. There may be some reason why I'd honor someone, but certainly not because of religious or other superstitious belief.

Oh well.
Edited by Hypatia on 07/29/2011 13:11

derF
Unfortunately there are no directions for the proper handling of fringe dwellers.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Skeeve
True Americans® are the most un-American of our citizens.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Kowboy
This person makes the logical fallacy of composition, the idea that if certain parts have attributes then the whole must be the same.

derF
Hmmm..... Logical fallacy of composition again. Have you ever heard the expression: Enemies of my enemies are my friends. Friends of my enemies are my enemies? What that means is if someone is accepting your enemy and allowing them to procede with their aims, then they themselves are siding with the enemy. If someone disagrees with and impedes the intentions of your enemy then, in essence, they are considered friendly to your side. That is how I judge people. I could care less whether they are Jew, Muslim or gay or whatever. If they are siding with people who are trying to kill me or they are allowing those people to kill me by remaining quiet or passive then they are part of the problem. If they speak out against those people and refuse to quietly remain passive then they, themselves, have chosen which side they want to support.
Edited by derF on 06/27/2010 02:39

seeker
derF wrote:
Hmmm..... Logical fallacy of composition again. Have you ever heard the expression: Enemies of my enemies are my friends. Friends of my enemies are my enemies? What that means is if someone is accepting your enemy and allowing them to procede with their aims, then they themselves are siding with the enemy. If someone disagrees with and impedes the intentions of your enemy then, in essence, they are considered friendly to your side. That is how I judge people. I could care less whether they are Jew, Muslim or gay or whatever. If they are siding with people who are trying to kill me or they are allowing those people to kill me by remaining quiet or passive then they are part of the problem. If they speak out against those people and refuse to quietly remain passive then they, themselves, have chosen which side they want to support.

You mean like the way that Muslim radicals were the enemy of our enemy (The Soviet Union)? Helping them then sure worked out for us didn't it.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

derF
Seeker, examples that contradict one's position can be found for every argument. If we had followed through with aid to Afghanistan after we helped them defeat the Soviet Union instead of turning our backs on them they might still be our friends. (Charlie Wilson's War)

You may recall that Russia was our allies during WWII. I didn't say anything about any permanence in these positions.

By the way, the Soviet Union's defeat in Afghanistan spelled the beginning of the end for them. So there was some good that came of it.

catman
Perhaps the USSR's experience in Afghanistan should be a lesson for the USA. It's the longest war we have ever been in.

Jump to Forum: